New Bonham snare vs Vintage Bonham snare

Sven62

Reaction score
Looking to acquire a 6.5x14 Ludwig LM402. Anyone have any thoughts on an older one vs. a newer one? I know an early 70s O/B badge will cost more... but do they sound any better than a 90s, 00s, or a new one? TIA!

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The main difference is the older ones have 1.6mm hoops vs the newer ones with 2.3mm hoops.

Last edited:

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Pretty close but there are differences. You may or may not notice. If you can afford a nice older one I’d go for that.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe in the mojo of vintage! I bought a pimply, eye sore B/O badge LM402 for a major bargain. I put on a coated Emperor, Diplomat snare side and slapped 42 strand wires on it - and I have it tuned right into the Bonzo sound......it's a fugly killer!!!

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly. I’ve never compared the new vs the old. I’m sure it’s fine. But if you ARE going to buy new there’s other companies like Yamaha and Tama that make comparable 6.5 Alumimium drums to consider. Also, in think guys on this board are more fond of the reissue 6.5 Acrolite than the 402. I know I am. Both are 10 lug drums. I personally bought one of the all satin brushed Acrolite reissues and love it. And I have a 70’s 402 as well

can I ask what the prices are these days ? For both the older and new ?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went for Oriollo's Phantom65 over a LM402 which I've had many. Hands down, to my ears, the Phantom won, big time. 8 lugs. None of the harshness that I was used to getting out of my LM's. That being said, I've got a LM400 that I use as a back up when I gig. The Oriollo's are on the stand tho when I'm playing aluminum.

Phantom65.JPG

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a late-'70s 402 and have tried out many modern 402s over the years. I think the modern version has a LITTLE more pop and ring due to the slightly thicker hoops. A slightly chunkier rimshot tone. But they're very close. Extremely minute differences, not large. Either is a safe bet.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have 400s from the 60s, 80s, and 90s. My favorite is a 1998 model, go figure. I have a 402 from '65 that fits right in and has "that" sound.

Dan

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point, Charlesm - OP, if you find a good deal on a modern one, swap out the hoops for 1.6mm hoops........maybe that will sound close.....

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 400s from the 60s, 80s, and 90s. My favorite is a 1998 model, go figure. I have a 402 from '65 that fits right in and has "that" sound.

Dan
My '65 6.5x14 is different than my 70's B/O. My '65 has a "normal" set up - coated amb. My B/O is a Bonham setup and tuned accordingly. I honestly could not say whether they sound similar as the B/O only has one purpose for me.......my 80's and 90's are all bronze Supras and/or BB's......my '00 BB is brass. I had a '00 decade 5x14 and it sounded similar to vintage but lacked mojo....

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My '65 6.5x14 is different than my 70's B/O. My '65 has a "normal" set up - coated amb. My B/O is a Bonham setup and tuned accordingly. I honestly could not say whether they sound similar as the B/O only has one purpose for me.......my 80's and 90's are all bronze Supras and/or BB's......my '00 BB is brass. I had a '00 decade 5x14 and it sounded similar to vintage but lacked mojo....
I'm thinking of looking for a 402 from that 1998 vintage. I might be fooling myself, but maybe there was something really happening around that time. I get nothing but compliments on the 98 400. It gets a Remo Renaissance Emperor and kills at all tunings.

Dan

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of looking for a 402 from that 1998 vintage. I might be fooling myself, but maybe there was something really happening around that time. I get nothing but compliments on the 98 400. It gets a Remo Renaissance Emperor and kills at all tunings.

Dan
Monroe big gold badge ? Those are good drums

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not a ludwig guy and so my ludwig history is very limited.
but didnt the blue green lm402 also have a muffler.
when i purchased one in 2007 it had no muffler.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
im not a ludwig guy and so my ludwig history is very limited.
but didnt the blue green lm402 also have a muffler.
when i purchased one in 2007 it had no muffler.
I bought a modern LM402 in the last 5 years. I stole it really! I walked into a small music store near where I live and saw a newer keystone 402 in pristine condition for $199 I picked it up and walked to the check out and bought it on the spot. The store manager said that's a nice Acorlite don't you think? I smiled and said it's not an Acrolite it's a Supraphonic LM402. The look on his face was priceless. I told them thanks for the drum and turned and walked out of the door. As you stated there was no muffler so I went on line and bought a new Ludwig muffler for it and installed it using the same measurements and location as my LM400. It looks completely at home and works beautifully. As for new 402 verse old 402 comparison? My buddy has an early 70s blue/olive badge LM402 set up with same heads and all and both of us in a side by side comparison and could not tell any real appreciative difference in sound when tuned the same. We even used a drum dial and used same settings side by side just for comparison sake. The only difference was visually out side of a little chrome pitting on his older model, was, as has been said many times before, my Supra has slightly more lug splay than his. With that said there is not enough lug splay to cause me enough concern to want to change out the hoops.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the older B/O badges had a muffler, as did later ones in the 80's and 90's. I'm not sure why they don't anymore other than cost. I have added mufflers to modern snares - pretty easy.

I had a '00's 5x14 Supra picked up for a steal and was disappointed by the fact that it also suffered from the pitting issues (you'd think they'd learn a better method after 50 years!), so I sold to back to vintage. If it's going to be pitted, might as well be the original. And yes, the newer drums have the splay issue due to oversized hoops, but you can swap out pretty much ANY other hoop and that goes away (even with those unsightly lug gaskets).

My '65 6.5"x 14" has no pitting whatsoever.....go figure.......