New Bonham snare vs Vintage Bonham snare

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Monroe big gold badge ? Those are good drums
I love the big badge. Probably also doesn't hurt that I saw a YT video where someone dialed in an Alex Van Halen sound perfectly with one. That video is long gone, sadly.

Dan

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the big badge. Probably also doesn't hurt that I saw a YT video where someone dialed in an Alex Van Halen sound perfectly with one. That video is long gone, sadly.

Dan
Yup. If I were the original poster I'd look for one of those. Won't pay top 70's dollar but still classic Made in America sound..

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a new(er) one and couldn’t get it to tune up right. I hear they are prone to splay issues.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take into consideration that when Bonham was playing his 402 it was relatively new.

I have compared a 70´s 402 to a new one side by side and personally I liked the new one better. It was livelier and sounded more fresh somehow. More crunch and pop.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My '65 6.5x14 is different than my 70's B/O. My '65 has a "normal" set up - coated amb. My B/O is a Bonham setup and tuned accordingly. I honestly could not say whether they sound similar as the B/O only has one purpose for me.......my 80's and 90's are all bronze Supras and/or BB's......my '00 BB is brass. I had a '00 decade 5x14 and it sounded similar to vintage but lacked mojo....
What is the Bonham setup?

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Coated emperor top, clear diplomat (thin) snare side and 42 strand wires. It gets me as close as I can get......
I had the late 90s chrome brass edition with tube lugs. Great sound but shoddy workmanship. Dented bottom bearing edge on one & warped hoop or bent hoop on the replacement. I got a Dunnett SS Classic. I run the same thing as Bonzo I guess except for I used Aquarian Texture coated super thin on top. I tried an emp before. I like the drum's feel better with the thinner top head. I've been running dip snare side and 42 strand for years. Never knew Bonzo used that. I knew AVH used wide snares but different top & bottom heads I think.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the late 90s chrome brass edition with tube lugs. I like the drum's feel better with the thinner top head.
Bonzo used a COA, not COB, to my knowledge, at least in the 70's B/O models. The COB would give some overtones that the drier aluminum would not have. On snares, I prefer ambassador heads (mediums) on top and emperor's on my metal snares. I think it adds fatness and also helps control the tone (but mine has a muffler, too).

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He used 402's but I read he also used a c.o.b. with tube lugs early on. I love the 402's I have played. When I was spending money I wanted a black beauty sound but chrome with tube lugs. I figured if a 402 was 400.00 & the b.e. was 450.00 back then, give me the brass. It didn't work out but I kinda want one again.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y’all getting worked up about that Emperor batter. Seems to me Bonham would have used the vintage one, the new reissue.