new book on Italian vintage drums, Hollywood and Hipercussion

stopsign70

Reaction score
hello friends,
I'm thinking to work on my 4th book.
only Hollywood and Hipercussion drums.

but I would need an USA or UK publisher cause I need an English text book.
do you have some serious investor to suggest?
not a classical name you could have in mind (just like I could have), but someone you have infos could be interested in.

thanks
all the best
Luca
hollywood scritta.jpg
hipercussion scritta.jpg

stopsign70

Reaction score
hello friends,
so no USA publisher to suggest?
the definitive book will be ready at the end of 2021, almost 300 pages, exclusive infos, unpublished literature, rare and spectacular images.
my idea was an English text release

thanks for you help

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a very, very select audience for your book. So I doubt any established publisher would be interested. probably a good candidate for self publishing.
I owned and played for about 20 years a Hi-Percussion 7 x 14" snare from 1981

stopsign70

Reaction score
to be honest... I know the audience, my book on Italian vintage drums (first and second edition) sold more than 600 copies out of Italy (Europe, USA and Japan). and it was on a large theme with double text (Italian and parallel English text).
now this would be only in English and focused about the two most important brands.
just need a USA publisher to invest and translate

" Hi-Percussion 7 x 14" snare from 1981" like Pete Gill?

stopsign70

Reaction score
" not a classical name you could have in mind (just like I could have), but someone you have infos could be interested in " :)

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
to be honest... I know the audience, my book on Italian vintage drums (first and second edition) sold more than 600 copies out of Italy (Europe, USA and Japan). and it was on a large theme with double text (Italian and parallel English text).
now this would be only in English and focused about the two most important brands.
just need a USA publisher to invest and translate

" Hi-Percussion 7 x 14" snare from 1981" like Pete Gill?
Your English is pretty good so perhaps you could do the translation and then have that edited and corrected by a native speaker. It would be better to approach publishers with the completed project.

Ox Han

Reaction score
hello friends,
I'm thinking to work on my 4th book.
only Hollywood and Hipercussion drums.

but I would need an USA or UK publisher cause I need an English text book.
do you have some serious investor to suggest?
not a classical name you could have in mind (just like I could have), but someone you have infos could be interested in.

thanks
all the best
Luca
View attachment 502532 View attachment 502533
coukd you please clarify your goal?

Are you looking for a publisher who will pay you for your book and distribute it to English speakers? Or, are you looking for a publishing company you can pay to edit/translate and print a couple hundred copies of your book for you?

stopsign70

Reaction score
Your English is pretty good so perhaps you could do the translation and then have that edited and corrected by a native speaker. It would be better to approach publishers with the completed project.
that's an idea, but too long and hard for me to translate the book

stopsign70

Reaction score
coukd you please clarify your goal?

Are you looking for a publisher who will pay you for your book and distribute it to English speakers? Or, are you looking for a publishing company you can pay to edit/translate and print a couple hundred copies of your book for you?
I'm looking for a publisher interested in the book, translate it, and distribute it to English speakers

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like I said, in the big picture of book publishing, your subject matter is extremely niche.
You're asking someone to invest hours into translation, then pay for a print run of books.
People with this kind of project usually self publish. Or you will have to approach one of the established music and drum publishers.

stopsign70

Reaction score
" You're asking someone to invest hours into translation, then pay for a print run of books. "
sure for the first (translation), a possibility for the second (pay for a print run of books). we could agree, I suppose that if a publisher pays for the translation is interested in the most important part of the deal (printing and selling), but that's one of the possibilities.

I stay open mind, just the best way to get an English copy, and the only thing I can't do (I search, write, edit... and more) is the translation

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you insist on a publisher taking all the monetary risk you will have to have your project complete or they won't even look at it: Layout in proper file format, translation, cover design, etc. will need to be done. Even then, as @Whitten said, it's a very small market for any major publisher.

I'm not trying to discourage you but this is the current book publishing situation.

Have you tried something like Google translate? Then maybe someone on the forum could edit from that in exchange for translation credit and a reasonable fee.

Then self publish with blurb.com or lulu.com. They both have distribution via amazon.com as well.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And your profit margin is much bigger when you self publish. Books are printed on demand so no inventory is required. Less risk.

Ox Han

Reaction score
I'm looking for a publisher interested in the book, translate it, and distribute it to English speakers
I do not know anyone who would be willing to do this for you in this current state of the publishing industry. Good luck to you. I hope you can find someone who can help you.

stopsign70

Reaction score
guys,
are you of the deal? don't know
what you say makes sense but...
I wrote 3 books already (one sold in USA, EU and JP), I know the deal, I know the risk of the publisher, so I know my business, I know my efforts, I know my must, I know how large or little is the market, yes I know the situation (not so good but not so bad, nobody will be rich, but publishers always have earnt with me)
:)

I asked:
any serious USA publisher to suggest you think could be interested?
not: "you could make this... " cause that could be right but I thought
and did everything :)

if not, that literature will be for Italy only. it's ok anyway

sorry, don't know how it sounds in English, the mood is kind and clear

thanks