New Buddy Rich Documentary

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This has been out for a while. Part of the last recording Buddy did which was lost, reassembled, and put out on DVD (2 discs) a few years back. Really great stuff.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
He lost me in the first minute with Jazz is the only truly American art form.

Unless you count blues

Or rock

What a self aggrandizing gas bag.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Blues is a form of jazz; rock developed from blues. Jazz was the mother of all, coming from Congo Square in New Orleans; it is often called the first truly American music.

http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/publication/2008/08/20080812212457eaifas0.7410852.html#axzz3QeZKNVtc

Is it his surpassing talent that irritates you so much? We should study and learn from the masters, not denegrate them out of jealousy or dislike of their personality quirks. He could back up his confidence; therefore, it's not arrogance.

Arrogance: "an insulting way of thinking or behaving that comes from believing that you are better, smarter, or more important than other people." He was clearly better, but, to my knowledge, he never stated his superiority. Confident? Yes. Arrogant? No.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
CSR said:
Blues is a form of jazz; rock developed from blues. Jazz was the mother of all, coming from Congo Square in New Orleans; it is often called the first truly American music.

http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/publication/2008/08/20080812212457eaifas0.7410852.html#axzz3QeZKNVtc

Is it his surpassing talent that irritates you so much? We should study and learn from the masters, not denegrate them out of jealousy or dislike of their personality quirks. He could back up his confidence; therefore, it's not arrogance.

Arrogance: "an insulting way of thinking or behaving that comes from believing that you are better, smarter, or more important than other people." He was clearly better, but, to my knowledge, he never stated his superiority. Confident? Yes. Arrogant? No.
Once on the Tonight Show, Johnny Carson was introducing Buddy as "one of the best drummers in the business." Buddy's voice could be heard from backstage yelling "THE best." From then on Johnny referred to him as "Mr. Humble." They were good friends and everything was in good fun. That's just Buddy being Buddy.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very enjoyable and it did a good job of showing there were many facets, including being warm and caring, to the man with unimaginable talent.

Thanks for posting it.

CLMacPherson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buddy is STILL the benchmark for technical proficiency today. Love him or hate him, his talent was undeniable.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Abrasive personality? Maybe, depending on which story you listen to. To this day, I don't think I have seen a more natural talent than Buddy Rich. His rolls (singles, doubles, press...ALL of them) are the benchmark, IMO. Unmistakable, trademark sound. He could say he was the best, and back it up. However, he had his heroes as well (Chick Webb, Papa Jo, Gene) and spoke very highly and respectfully of them. To me, Buddy was a man who worked very hard to maintain the integrity of the genre, and gave (and demanded) 100%.

Bine

Reaction score
Great video! Thanks for the post.

Silly question..... Why was/ is Buddy not commonly included as a member of "The Rat Pack?" Was it singer/ actors only?
Just curious...