New budget snare day!

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
I think this should interest mainly members of the forum residing in Europe, as the snare drum is only sold at Thomann, but still here it goes.

I bought this snare drum initially for my nephew to practice, but after trying it out and seeing and hearing the potential it has, I couldn't resist ordering one for me. The price of €138 (160 USD) for a 1.2mm brushed seamless spun aluminium shell with tube lugs seemed like a no brainer to me!

I changed the trow-off to a new one from Gibraltar, because honestly the one that came with the snare was crap. I only have to say is wowww! This snare drum is a beast, even with the original drumheads and snare wires: dry as a bone but very sensitive and with lots of body. It's going to take a set of new heads and wires and my expectations are that the improvement will be 10x greater.

This is a bargain at this price and with a small upgrade it looks and sounds awesome. I'm not saying awesome at the level of a supra, but I was really really surprised!

Here's some pics

Attachments

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That snare is probably a great deal, if it reflects my experience with low price, high quality gear from Thomann.

I have bought a direct drive double bass pedal and a bass guitar from Thomann. Shipping was $75, but I wanted to see if the hype about their cheaply priced gear was true.

The pedals are surprisingly good for $120. Solid build, independent footboard/beater angle adjustment and a fully adjustable cam. I've seen plenty of pedals that cost 2-3x more that don't offer all of that. They play and feel good, too. The feel of a direct drive pedal takes some getting used to, but that's no different from any dd pedal.

I'd say the only flaw is how sluggish the slave pedal feels unless you don't have much of an angle between it and the main pedal. The trick universal drive shaft looks like it would fit this pedal and probably take care of the issue.

All in all, I wouldn't have much reservation about buying from Thomann again. They let me know that shipping is flat rate up to a certain point, so you can place a large order and it won't go over a certain amount to ship, which I think was 75 bucks.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I tried to find the snare on their site...w/o any luck...can someone post a link?
I like the look of their marching drums...