New collectible and "one off" drums

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

Just food for thought, but are we the new curators (possible creators), of what will be the future collectible or rare drums in 50-100 years?

Obviously, I think it is safe to say there are more drums in production now, to add to what vintage drums we are currently collecting, to maintain the art/hobby/lifestyle/etc...

The current offerings of "limited editions" and purchaser customization can create one of a kind drums, which seems to be a trend to some degree.

And not to forget, John Aldridge and Adrian Kirchler, who are creating works of art on the black beauties (or other metal), snares, keeping that tradition and then some going.

I know I have personally ordered some Ludwig snares with special specs. that are the only ones of their kind. But, does that make it "rare," or just unique?

Thoughts?

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I´d say more unique than rare. I have a Tama Star solid Maple snare, one of it´s kind due to finish and size, custom built. Highly doubt it will be a collectors item in the future. But who knows?

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two lines of thought for me.
One - the ridiculous "limited edition" drums and kits that are marketed to the masses in order to capitolize on the collectors market.
Those will be (for the most part) forgotten and ignored. Heck, quite a few drummers have taken the goofy Gretsch nod to the classic car kit and removed the colored sticker-like additions and walked away with a nice solid color kit. That should really tell you something.
Two - the artwork done on snares by those two gents is remarkable. Those will continue to be cherished and prized. Some of it has to do with the "hands on" approach to the art. Some of it has to do with the unreal attention to the history of that art.

Beyond that ... there's an awful lot of drums being sold today compared to the 70s and before. Not sure how that will play out. But it'll be fun to watch.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
False scarcity is going to evolve, the YouTube and IG drummer will evolve, and players will play.