new developments from the A&F guys down in Austin...

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
On the company website , there's nothing that stands out concerning plies or wood thickness or even type of wood /in/ shells. Is that on purpose , played down or just in the fine print..somewhere I can't see.. doesn't appear "played-up" that's for sure; there's some about bearing edge..like to know overall thickness some details of the wood shell or is the company in the main a metalworks.

Wood snares are solid maple right. But what's this and (the) other components of a set (bass drum, small tom.:
No one know the answer to that...the break down (..) of the wood shells thru out the various components..?

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
No one know the answer to that...the break down (..) of the wood shells thru out the various components..?
They’ve put that info out there somewhere. Ply shells are 7 ply either mahogany poplar or maple poplar. No rings. Snares come in all varieties, ply, steambent, solid hollowed-out logs.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
The assumption I read, they make their own shells? Does that seem feasible? (wood shells)..
Must be quite (elaborate not just a metalworks) semi- large operation if so.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do we really need two threads bashing a company who's crime appears to be making stuff most people think is overpriced? Sure they're sky high. I don't have any. I won't buy it for that reason. You might also feel that the price tag is out of line with what is being offered. And I'd agree. But these two threads are in very bad taste - nobody is forcing anyone to buy any of their products. They'll figure it out eventually. They're not being deceptive, just pricey. Leave em alone.
Eh, I think you're misleading here, a bit. The majority of the criticism isn't the price alone (all though, for some, it is), its the cost-benefit ratio. Many feel their products don't match their price points. We've seen this with a lot of hipster vintage drums (who know who you are), selling 70's Acro's for $350.00-$400.00. Yes, they certainly have the right to charge whatever they want, and we have the right to say how silly it is.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes but people actually buy these things (the 350 acrolite, the lamborghini performante instead of the base model ) So what a benefit to one is different from a benefit (may need one to raise the cash) to someone else. Can argue the cost-benefit ratio all day long. Still one will buy one thing and another will buy the other thing.
If you're going to buy something different from the norm these kind of fill that blank. I'm not sure I want "my sound" to be all that "tailored" - to what they "tailor" to- but it's legitimate for them to exist..

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
The notes one plays and how one manipulates them , are still and will always be, more important than any one drum, but it's still kinda nice this company is going thru the effort to build unique instruments.

Right there, him saying, they use a family that's been nickle plating copper for a bazillion years, is helping to keep, old old traditions of craftsmanship..active and.. alive. Even if it's archaic and a production line robot can make some thing similar.
I would just want to see how durable they are (and not merely art pieces)
in 10 or 20 years. Have to see them and heft them, in person..to note the true quality,
Drums get banged around a lot even when careful.

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$129 for that hoop mounted cymbal stand, hell yes!!
I have to cut down my stands to get my ride low enough to my liking.
I think they look awesome!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
C'mon the stands are great. They're in the top range, price-wise, but what about them looks or seems not worth it?
They look like heavy duty, modern stands. I dig the aesthetic, too.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
If I had a future in drumming and some money, I would love to have some of these stands. I have played old Ludwig hardware for years and these look like a great upgrade to me. Well thought out and quality construction.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
If they (A&F) (as they state) have a "100 year plan"....hmm. They could offer a 25 year warranty on small parts that make up their instruments (drums) To the original owner..something along those lines. Something extreme.