New Drum Room! Looking for set-up suggestions....

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Well, the time has finally come. I've been living in a townhouse for the last 10 years, and while able to play in the basement during the day, I had to make some serious modifications/accommodations to do so without upsetting my neighbours or my own family. To be honest, even with everything I did (dampening drums and cymbals, light sticks, mattresses on the walls, acoustic foam, quieter playing, etc.) I still upset them from time to time. Moreover, my playing was always hampered by a nagging feeling that I was going to get a complaint, and rarely could I just play without worry and you know, lose myself in the music.

All of that is about to change however, as we just purchased a 2500 sq. foot house. Aside from lots of additional living space for the wife and kids, the basement has a windowless room which will become the designated music room. Hoping to set it up for regular drumming, but also potentially jamming with others and putting together a collection of gear to keep there. Also interested in recording in the future, but don't have recording gear at the moment.

While I don't have the exact dimensions right now, it's a substantial size and almost a perfect square. I've been thinking about all the things I want to do to make it as functional and inspirational as possible. Considering everything from paint colour to wall and floor coverings, lighting and everything in between. Given that I have carte blanche here to make this room mine, just thought I'd survey you folks to get any suggestions of things you've found to be beneficial or things to avoid. The room is somewhat separate from the rest of the basement and has a closing door, I don't need it to be totally soundproof, and I do have a good amount of acoustic foam to tame the room a bit. I don't have tons of gear, but play a 6 piece Gretsch Brooklyn in WMP. So, from acoustic considerations to paint colour, give me your thoughts!

I get possession at the end of April, and will provide pics once everything is set up.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I wish I could tell you the dimensions of my room but I'm terrible with stuff like that and don't remember the specs. It's a pretty good size and we were able to have it built as it was part of the addition to the house we have. It was probably done 10 years ago and we made sure it had plenty of wall outlets and a place to hook up internet. It isn't as soundproof as I would like but I don't really have any neighbors it would bother. My wife and father-in-law are there so I try to be considerate. I put up some shelving to hold parts of my collection. There are older pics and stuff has been moved around a little and some of the drums on the shelf have been sold. You get the idea though and I think you will like having a room to yourself. I'm currently in the process of framing some stuff to hang on the walls. I have a few things hung up already but I still have stuff that I would like to hang.

Room1.jpg

Room2.jpg

Shelves.jpg

Ox Han

Reaction score
Well, the time has finally come. I've been living in a townhouse for the last 10 years, and while able to play in the basement during the day, I had to make some serious modifications/accommodations to do so without upsetting my neighbours or my own family. To be honest, even with everything I did (dampening drums and cymbals, light sticks, mattresses on the walls, acoustic foam, quieter playing, etc.) I still upset them from time to time. Moreover, my playing was always hampered by a nagging feeling that I was going to get a complaint, and rarely could I just play without worry and you know, lose myself in the music.

All of that is about to change however, as we just purchased a 2500 sq. foot house. Aside from lots of additional living space for the wife and kids, the basement has a windowless room which will become the designated music room. Hoping to set it up for regular drumming, but also potentially jamming with others and putting together a collection of gear to keep there. Also interested in recording in the future, but don't have recording gear at the moment.

While I don't have the exact dimensions right now, it's a substantial size and almost a perfect square. I've been thinking about all the things I want to do to make it as functional and inspirational as possible. Considering everything from paint colour to wall and floor coverings, lighting and everything in between. Given that I have carte blanche here to make this room mine, just thought I'd survey you folks to get any suggestions of things you've found to be beneficial or things to avoid. The room is somewhat separate from the rest of the basement and has a closing door, I don't need it to be totally soundproof, and I do have a good amount of acoustic foam to tame the room a bit. I don't have tons of gear, but play a 6 piece Gretsch Brooklyn in WMP. So, from acoustic considerations to paint colour, give me your thoughts!

I get possession at the end of April, and will provide pics once everything is set up.
Congrats on your new home! What's your budget for preparing this room?

Foam, acoustic panels, and mattresses don't do anything for soundproofing as you found out when you still sometimes annoyed your neighbors/fam in your old townhome. If you just want to play the drums and rock out, then you should first find out how much noise will spill out from this room to the rest of the house. Set your drums up, play at your normal volume as if you didn't care about bothering anyone and ask you wife/kids how loud it is above. If it's tolerable, then just look into acoustic treatments. I'd use rigid insulation and avoid foam as foam is not efficient and much more expensive. I'd first focus on corner traps for the four corners, a few panels on each wall wall (4 - 6" thick), and maybe a few on the ceiling, called a cloud, over the drum (2" thick) . If you start jamming, I'd put more panels on the ceiling. You don't need to cover the place, but the smaller the room the more panels you'll need. Check out GIK as I think they are the most best bang for the buck and offer nice fabric choices.

Options to actually "soundproof" this room range from adding extra drywall and a thicker and more sealed door to building a "room within a room". In terms of acoustics and recording, square rooms aren't great. If the room is a cube (L = W = H) I'd say nix the recording idea as you'll only end up frustrated.

This is just from my experience with acoustic treatments in bedrooms and recording drums. YMMV

Reaction score
Congrats on your new home! What's your budget for preparing this room?

Foam, acoustic panels, and mattresses don't do anything for soundproofing as you found out when you still sometimes annoyed your neighbors/fam in your old townhome. If you just want to play the drums and rock out, then you should first find out how much noise will spill out from this room to the rest of the house. Set your drums up, play at your normal volume as if you didn't care about bothering anyone and ask you wife/kids how loud it is above. If it's tolerable, then just look into acoustic treatments. I'd use rigid insulation and avoid foam as foam is not efficient and much more expensive. I'd first focus on corner traps for the four corners, a few panels on each wall wall (4 - 6" thick), and maybe a few on the ceiling, called a cloud, over the drum (2" thick) . If you start jamming, I'd put more panels on the ceiling. You don't need to cover the place, but the smaller the room the more panels you'll need. Check out GIK as I think they are the most best bang for the buck and offer nice fabric choices.

Options to actually "soundproof" this room range from adding extra drywall and a thicker and more sealed door to building a "room within a room". In terms of acoustics and recording, square rooms aren't great. If the room is a cube (L = W = H) I'd say nix the recording idea as you'll only end up frustrated.

This is just from my experience with acoustic treatments in bedrooms and recording drums. YMMV
Budget? We bought first and are currently prepping to sell, so the budget will ultimately depend on how well we do on our place. Not looking to spend a ton either way, and I know the options are endless when one gets into the 'room in a room' and more invasive sound-proofing options. Again, less concerned about actual sound proofing than just achieving a good sound in the room without too much echo or wacky frequencies. I do like the idea of rigid panels on the walls and ceiling, as I could install them easily myself without opening drywall. Will look into GIK.

As for recording, it's more a future hypothetical than an immediate concern. Just trying to at least consider all the variables to make it as user friendly as possible and avoid doing anything that might inhibit future uses. Thanks for your insights, and please keep 'em coming!

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great to hear you got a place. I live in townhouse and I soundproof the room (well, i did my best at least), still hoping I could get a place where I don't have to worry about bothering anyone.

If you don't have to worry about soundproofing, just make 4-5 acoustic DIY panels and place them around the walls before you mount them. You will definitely hear huge difference. If you hear improvement, make more accordingly. Bookcases/shelves do amazing job as diffuser. Experiment first before you go. You will always find rooms for improvement.

Reaction score
I wish I could tell you the dimensions of my room but I'm terrible with stuff like that and don't remember the specs. It's a pretty good size and we were able to have it built as it was part of the addition to the house we have. It was probably done 10 years ago and we made sure it had plenty of wall outlets and a place to hook up internet. It isn't as soundproof as I would like but I don't really have any neighbors it would bother. My wife and father-in-law are there so I try to be considerate. I put up some shelving to hold parts of my collection. There are older pics and stuff has been moved around a little and some of the drums on the shelf have been sold. You get the idea though and I think you will like having a room to yourself. I'm currently in the process of framing some stuff to hang on the walls. I have a few things hung up already but I still have stuff that I would like to hang.

View attachment 482018

View attachment 482019

View attachment 482020
That's an incredible space with amazing gear, but I have to say I might be most envious of the store cymbal display just peaking into the side of your last photo. Got to get my hands on one of those somehow.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just refinished my basement and bought a new Pork Pie Custom kit that pretty well matches everything, which kept my better half happy!

If you zoom in, you’ll see art, Buddy Rich and Bonham, a line of pics of my favorite jazz drummers and on the window sill is my miniature BR Slingerland kit. I also have a big vinyl sticker on the wall of a jazz drummer by my bar, but you can’t see it in the pic. All these little things give me a little motivation and look pretty cool as well -

A59EC438-2354-4DE2-8700-087BC22EAC94.jpeg

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 482018

View attachment 482019

View attachment 482020
Funny when I googled drum storage this bottom pic showed up great looking kits

jmcohen

Reaction score
Two things:
I play my drums in the basement, and the band practices in the basement. I have done absolutely nothing to soundproof, and my neighbors say they sometimes hear us when they out in their yard, but barely. Our basement does have finished walls and ceiling, though;
Secondly - Power. Make sure you have adequate outlets in your rehearsal space. You don’t want to go through whatever hassles you need to soundproof it, then defeat the purpose by having to keep a door ajar to run an extension cord. You also don’t want your guitar player to crank up all 30 of his effects and trip the breaker, leaving you in the pitch black dark.

Josh

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 482018

View attachment 482019

View attachment 482020
wflkurt, I hate you, but it is a jealous brotherly sort of hate that can simultaneously balance envy and happiness that you have what you have.
Yours,
Curt

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
if you don't have neighbor problems you don't need to build a room within a room and can diffuse sound with home made diffusers using wood frames, rockwool, some fabric and a staplegun. Plenty of plans online for that. You can hang them on walls and ceiling on hooks so you can reconfigure as necessary.

A nice rug of course. A humidifier if it's not dry down there.

These days I bet you could find a pro or semi pro who'd be willing to draw up a plan. A perfectly square room isn't ideal for noise reflections but odds are someone's dealt with it.

Gearslutz.com has a forum dedicated to the subject here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/

I'm jealous!

Reaction score
if you don't have neighbor problems you don't need to build a room within a room and can diffuse sound with home made diffusers using wood frames, rockwool, some fabric and a staplegun. Plenty of plans online for that. You can hang them on walls and ceiling on hooks so you can reconfigure as necessary.

A nice rug of course. A humidifier if it's not dry down there.

These days I bet you could find a pro or semi pro who'd be willing to draw up a plan. A perfectly square room isn't ideal for noise reflections but odds are someone's dealt with it.

Gearslutz.com has a forum dedicated to the subject here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/

I'm jealous!
Looking into building those diffusers for myself, I've got the tools and ability. Just studying up a bit first at that gearslutz link you gave, that's an information wormhole for sure.

To be honest, the room seemed squarish, but was pretty jam packed with stuff when I saw it and I don't have exact measurements yet. So...here's hoping it isn't square!

Finally, agreed on the rug, for sound and atmosphere it's a must.

*Shane*

Reaction score
Y’all have some cool drum rooms. I especially LOVE the vintage double bass kit.

I just built my house about 4 years ago and did a “jam room”. It’s lots of fun but I’m in desperate need of acoustic treatment. To the OP, I recommend leaving an open space in the middle for guitar players and singers. Also, you can’t see it in my pics but I put a little Turbosound IP1000 PA system in there for vocals, piano mics and acoustic guitar. That PA works wonderfully.

There are still things like lighting that I wanna do but have just put it off. BTW, if it helps give you an idea, that room is 24X15.

Attachments

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A little at a time is my recommendation. I’m in my home since 1993 and have remodeled my drum space of only 10’ x 9’, roughly 10 times. I am prepping to paint again and rearrange. But, I have a solid wood door on the room & dumped 6” insulation behind every wall and in the ceiling behind the sheet rock. So it’s more a flirting issue for me. Which is concrete. Take your time and think it through, play the drums and tweak the room as you go along.

bob e michael

DFO Master
Reaction score
my drum room is 400 sq. ft it has a drop down acoustic ceiling with r20 insulation above
i have moving blankets on the walls , and most of the floor is carpet . my room doesn't have windows either and it has a door to close it off . the neighbors have never complained .... different story for the wife though
her's a few pics.

Attachments

Ox Han

Reaction score
Thought I’d give the OP a few pics of how i acoustically treated a spare bedroom.

Note: this is not soundproofing.

Originally, I had the corner traps raised above the base boards to be flush with the ceiling. They are much more effective on the ground and that’s really the only thing I’d change. I’d like toput GIK soffit traps in every corner, floor to ceiling, that they could fit in.

I need a few more ceiling panels but it sounds much better than before.

Attachments