New Drum Store in Aurora, ON, Canada

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
With Ben's blessing, I am posting this info here about me and my new drum store!
My name is Murat and I have been a drummer for 30 years. I have played, recorded and sold drums (Long & McQuade in Canada)) for a long time and it was time for me to go after my dream of having my own drum shop. So, Drummer's Hangout was born. I have opened on this past Father's Day (honoring my now deceased father was my reasoning to open on a Sunday), and it has been an interesting couple of days.
I will be carrying brands like Tama, Sonor, Yamaha, Gretsch , etc and Sabian, Zildjian, Paiste and some Turkish lines (where I am originally from is Istanbul) and I guess see how it goes...

The web page is being worked on but the facebook page is up and running where you can see some product photos and pictures of the shop. That would be www.facebook.com/drummershangout .

I am very excited (and honestly a bit scared) about all this and I will be looking forward to keeping in touch with this community, offering you guys great deals as best as I can.

Cheers,

Murat

R

RickP

It was great meeting you Father's Day Murat. The shop is shaping up nicely. Make sure you post here when you get some of those nice boutique Turkish brand cymbals.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good luck with your new venture. Unfortunately it looks like you won't be carrying any Mapex stuff, because of Long & Mcquade. Since they took over distribution of Mapex product, every other drum store in Canada avoids Mapex like the plague.

W

wayne

This is news to me, no rumors going around at all. Yeah, I too wish you well, and I must say you must have a lot of ......hmmmmm, confidence going into this. There are a lot of drummers in and around Toronto that will be visiting you regularly, getting a feel for your place.Competition is healthy, but stay focused on your objectives and remember it takes time to build. I,ll be seeing you soon.......Meanwhile, do you have any nice vintage gear stored up? :hello2:

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bandit said:
Good luck with your new venture. Unfortunately it looks like you won't be carrying any Mapex stuff, because of Long & Mcquade. Since they took over distribution of Mapex product, every other drum store in Canada avoids Mapex like the plague.
I do not see Mapex stuff in the near future, that's for sure. On the other hand, I do like some of the Black Panther snares. I did my part for Mapex at L&M though... :icon_smile:

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
wayne said:
This is news to me, no rumors going around at all. Yeah, I too wish you well, and I must say you must have a lot of ......hmmmmm, confidence going into this. There are a lot of drummers in and around Toronto that will be visiting you regularly, getting a feel for your place.Competition is healthy, but stay focused on your objectives and remember it takes time to build. I,ll be seeing you soon.......Meanwhile, do you have any nice vintage gear stored up? :hello2:
Hi Wayne. Thank you for the positive words. This is something I wanted to do for a while now, and it came together finally. I do have the confidence in that if I do this right, respect the customer and stay focused, good things can happen. At least I hope so. I am looking forward to seeing you at the shop. And, sorry, no hidden vintage gems yet...but i DO have the new Vintage Sonor! :happy7:

R

RickP

Bandit said:
I have no issue with Murat stocking other drum manufacturers than Mapex as I am not a fan of Mapex and from my observations they aren't exactly flying off the shelf at any drum shop I have seen stocking them . I think Murat made a wise decision not stocking Mapex. Why would you give money to you competitor especially for a brand that is not very popular ?

W

wayne

Rick...I agree Mapex is not where they would like to be, they just don't listen to the players well at all. They refuse it seems to bend even a little. As far as L&M is concerned, I grew up with them when they opened in Toronto and had tremendous respect for them for more than 35 years. They were first class and treated us like we knew what was going on.Anyway, I wont go any further on that subject, but L&M likely wanted exclusivity, and Mapex agreed. Im sure you will not find Mapex anywhere except there, and stores like JD,S and the Hangout, will not lose any sleep over that decision.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
wayne said:
Rick...I agree Mapex is not where they would like to be, they just don't listen to the players well at all. They refuse it seems to bend even a little. As far as L&M is concerned, I grew up with them when they opened in Toronto and had tremendous respect for them for more than 35 years. They were first class and treated us like we knew what was going on.Anyway, I wont go any further on that subject, but L&M likely wanted exclusivity, and Mapex agreed. Im sure you will not find Mapex anywhere except there, and stores like JD,S and the Hangout, will not lose any sleep over that decision.
Hey Wayne. Not sure where you get this idea that Mapex doesn't listen to the players.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It really isn't a huge deal for me that you don't carry Mapex, because I buy all my drums in the states anyways. I think it is a shame that L&M has exclusivity, because that means all these other stores won't carry what I consider some of the best sounding drums on the market, at probably the best bang for your buck price. I also consider L&M an average to below average drum store, so I won't shop there for a kit anyways. As far as drums flying off of shelves. Not sure that is happening anywhere at the moment.