New drummer wondering about the Alesis Nitro mesh starter kit

Peartfect

Reaction score
Hello
I'm new to the forum and to drumming.
My wife wants to get me the Nitro starter kit as a birthday gift; yes, I love her. I'm a wanna-be-drummer that is tired of playing on the steering wheel. Despite never having touched a drum kit, I'm sure that I can manage to do alright.
I ask
Does that kit, or others, allow the addition of pads? I see that in the back of the control module there is a blue and serial type of connector, and I assume that the connector has cables coming out of it that go to the pads. So, are there spare/unused cables available to connect more pads or cymbals?
If this kit doesn't allow the addition of pads, which kit does?

What else should I consider? I would like to jam to my favorite songs in the headphones at home, that is it.

Thanks
Norman

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
what are your favorite songs...and if you only want to play at home snare/bass 2 up 1 down should be fine even if you want to play Rush...yeah you may not have all the drums and cymbals but if you're only playing for yourself and just starting...the kit should be fine...

That said the brain has Midi...so you could use an Octpad or something like it to plug in more pads...I would think...

Peartfect

Reaction score
what are your favorite songs...and if you only want to play at home snare/bass 2 up 1 down should be fine even if you want to play Rush...yeah you may not have all the drums and cymbals but if you're only playing for yourself and just starting...the kit should be fine...

That said the brain has Midi...so you could use an Octpad or something like it to plug in more pads...I would think...
thank you dtk
yes, a Rush song or 2 will get played along with other rock songs. This isn't a career change by any means, and it is simply a hobby a long time in the waiting. I was simply of possibly wanting to add more toms in the future when I become a professional drummer...

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think this would be a good 'gateway' kit...it has some nice learning features...as you become pro you may want an acoustic kit too (or instead)...I think this would be a great way to get 'into it'...it is possible you might outgrow it...but especially with electronics...it changes fast...