New Drumming Heroes

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are there any?

I haven't heard anyone interesting since the late 90's.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gavin Harrison, Mark Guiliana and Asaf Sirkis come to my mind and that's after thinking about it for a whole 10 seconds. There are plenty more. The future of drumming is still in good hands (pun intended).

KevinD

Reaction score
*** Edited to add Matt Garstka. He was actually one of the first drummers that I thought of..must be getting old and sloppy these days***

Here is a list of drummers just off the top of my head, that I find pretty interesting.
I’m sure I can think of a bunch more.

While there are ton of great You Tube drummers out there who are developing large followings in their own right, I’m only including drummers here that I’m familiar with from recording or touring acts.

Tobias Ralph
Eric Moore
J.P. Bouvet
Dave Elitch
Brian Fraser Moore
Zach Danzinger (yes, he has been around a while but he is always reinventing himself -so always worth checking out)
Mark Guiliana (previously mentioned, another person who has been around a whlle but also keeps reinventing himself and pushing the envelope)
Brendan Buckley
Matt Garstka

Last edited:

rigged

Reaction score
Tyshon Sorey, Nate Wood, Justin Brown, Eric Harland, Sput, Richard Spaven, Dan Mayo, Amir Bresler, Mark Guiliana (as previously mentioned), Jojo....just to name a few.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is a list of drummers just off there top of my head that I find pretty interesting.
I’m sure I can think of a bunch more.

While there are ton of great You Tube drummers out there who are developing large followings in their own right, I’m only including drummers here that I’m familiar with from recording or touring acts.

Tobias Ralph
Eric Moore
J.P. Bouvet
Dave Elitch
Brian Fraser Moore
Zach Danzinger (yes, he has been around a while but he is always reinventing himself -so always worth checking out)
Mark Guiliana (previously mentioned, another person who has been around a while but also keeps reinventing himself and pushing the envelope)
Brendan Buckley
I love Brendan Buckley's playing!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Are there any?

I haven't heard anyone interesting since the late 90's.
Around 2000-2001, I was lucky enough to catch bassist Ray Brown with his group, when he played at a Starbucks up on Capitol Hill in Seattle.
Great concert, if not a little short (I think they only played for like an hour and a half).
I was especially impressed with the drummer, who was a young kid I'd never seen before.
He had a deft touch and a great sense of the music. A very enjoyable concert.
I was able to go up and meet him as he was pulling his kit down and we talked for a minute.
As I was getting ready to leave I asked for his name, so I could look out for him on future gigs...
He said, "I'm Karreem. Karreem Riggins."
Super nice guy and I've enjoyed his drumming ever since.

Elvis

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Nate Smith
Jonathan Blake
Jonathan Pinson
Marcus Gilmore
Nasheet Waits
Justin Faulkner
Obed Calvaire
Jamire Williams
Damion Reid
Julian Sartorius
Michal Miskiewicz
Arthur Hnatek
… the list grows longer every day.

Pretty exiting times for drummers these days - much more than the late 90s IMHO.

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Around 2000-2001, I was lucky enough to catch bassist Ray Brown with his group, when he played at a Starbucks up on Capitol Hill in Seattle.
Great concert, if not a little short (I think they only played for like an hour and a half).
I was especially impressed with the drummer, who was a young kid I'd never seen before.
He had a deft touch and a great sense of the music. A very enjoyable concert.
I was able to go up and meet him as he was pulling his kit down and we talked for a minute.
As I was getting ready to leave I asked for his name, so I could look out for him on future gigs...
He said, "I'm Karreem. Karreem Riggins."
Super nice guy and I've enjoyed his drumming ever since.

Elvis
Yes, a Detroiter through and through. Also from there and his generation, Ali Jackson.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Mlucas123, you must have missed my post on The Best Drummers of 2019.

To that list, I'd add:

Mike Miley - Rival Sons
Mario Duplantier - Gojira
Ben Koller - Mutoid Man

Last edited:

gbow

Reaction score
Great list here! I love Benny Greb, not sure if he qualifies since he's almost 40 now, but I think he does.

To me he has that great combination of chops, feel, and unique style.

gabo

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Glenn Kotche from Wilco is a favorite of mine. He's not really a guy doing clinics like a lot of the guys named here, but he's a hell of a drummer doing some surprisingly difficult stuff with the greatest of ease, i.e. playing a crotale part with his left hand while covering the beat with his right.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We're in a period of stunning abundance of drumming talent. Lot's of incredible forward- thinkers. Just gotta go looking for it. But I recommend any of the Pi Records bands if you want your head casually blown off.