New Drums

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DFO friends, I just bought this 1962 Gretsch "Name Band" kit in Black Diamond Pearl from an old friend and I'm completely floored. It's in mint condition and also came with some early 60s Zildjians and the original hardware. 14x22, 16x16, 9x13 and matching 5 1/2x14 Name Band wood snare.

I was expecting a beautiful looking and very nice sounding kit, but I wasn't expecting it to sound this good! This is my sixth vintage Gretsch kit (I have 4x70s SSB kits and another 60s RB kit) and this kit is hands-down the best sounding of all of them. This makes drum kit #10 overall, so the last thing I needed was more drums, but he wanted me to have it and made it worth my while. I'm so glad I did! Can't wait to gig with them tomorrow!

Missing from this photo are my Gretsch Peacock Flame, Hayman, Rogers and Premier kits. Just wanted to share my excitement with some fellow drummers. For some reason, my wife doesn't get excited about them anymore! :D

E4548454-13A7-49AB-9CD2-F04ED94D9E5C_1_201_a.jpeg
35478216-9DAE-43BC-AD02-6CCB6C89B696_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Congrats Johnny! My rock sized vintage Gretsch is made up of 60s orphans, but they turned out beautiful wrapped in black nitron. I also have a 60s silver sparkle 20, 12, 14 that is original. Great drums.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Awesome kit!!! I have a BDP kit I'm trying to finish: SSB 12", a RB 14x14,
SSB 16x18 waiting to convert into a bass, and a RB 5x14 Name band!
My Elvin Jones tribute kit!

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
DFO friends, I just bought this 1962 Gretsch "Name Band" kit in Black Diamond Pearl from an old friend and I'm completely floored. It's in mint condition and also came with some early 60s Zildjians and the original hardware. 14x22, 16x16, 9x13 and matching 5 1/2x14 Name Band wood snare.

I was expecting a beautiful looking and very nice sounding kit, but I wasn't expecting it to sound this good! This is my sixth vintage Gretsch kit (I have 4x70s SSB kits and another 60s RB kit) and this kit is hands-down the best sounding of all of them. This makes drum kit #10 overall, so the last thing I needed was more drums, but he wanted me to have it and made it worth my while. I'm so glad I did! Can't wait to gig with them tomorrow!

Missing from this photo are my Gretsch Peacock Flame, Hayman, Rogers and Premier kits. Just wanted to share my excitement with some fellow drummers. For some reason, my wife doesn't get excited about them anymore! :D

View attachment 427385 View attachment 427386
Set up perfectly
Beautiful

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WOW! Congrats on the addition!!! They sound good in the pics even!!

Oh, and I am ALSO a "born in 62" member so does that mean Im third in line behind Brian and Mntnman when your ready to let them go? LOL!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Big congrats and great drums! I had a BDP (re-wrapped I’m sure) Gretsch kit but it was an orphan kit and not a round badge. They sounded great. 24/13/16. Have fun!

704FF7F2-808E-4CDC-BF02-C85EDE5F5D3B.jpeg

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I am five feet and SIX inches tall, and I have TWO hands, so clearly they should be in my possession. Jeez, y'all.
Well, then, I'm five feet NINE inches tall, and women tell me it's like I have FOUR hands, so CLEARLY they should be in my possession. Hah.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your Gretsch BDP set is BEAUTIFUL, and very similar to mine. Mine are also orphans, but all Gretsch RB in original Gretsch BDP...no rewraps. My 1959 bass drum was drilled at the dealer for a lefty player. so I had to convert it to righty for me. Came out great. Can we start a club for BDP drum owners?

Reaction score
Yeah Johnny!!! Nice drums. If there is anyone that deserves that many great drum sets it's you. What makes them sound better-different from the other (RB and SSB) Gretsch's that you own? Interesting.

That's a subject that arises often. Aside from workmanship (edges and the like,) I always wonder what could be the differences (especially when we are comparing drums that all have semi-equally aged wood and similar, if not exact, components.)

Maybe that's what we know as "MOJO."
Mark

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Stunning kit.
I was born in January, 1962. I’ve never owned or even played a vintage Gretsch kit.
I know. I’m missing out on something big.
But I want you play and enjoy them.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fantastic, John. Thank you very much for sharing this with us. Feel free to post further, up-close pics of the drums, and of others.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have 6 eggs in my fridge right now and I regularly eat my toast 2 slices at a time, so obviously they should be mine, even considering I don't play 22 inch BDs. I think I'll pass and let you enjoy them - they look so 'at home' with the vintage crew there.
I would recommend edge work on those other kits. It can completely revolutionize how good a drum can sound, and I practically think it is a crime not to give a vintage drum a chance to sound like it was engineered to sound like.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I knew you guys would appreciate the beauty of these drums. They made their debut last night to packed house and did not disappoint! There was plenty of mojo to go around! My bandmates all commented on how great they sounded, especially the toms. I have a Shure Beta 52 and SHU system in the bass drum. No mics on any other drums in this room, but my vocal mic picked up the rest of the kit and they sounded beautiful in my IEMs.

I took this photo a few minutes before we hit.

752ACC01-116C-4BFD-A59C-3F891F2D7849.jpeg

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Johnny D,

Is that an old wood "Vic Firth" case I see on the lower left? Those things last forever!

Latest posts