New Drums

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know where the perception originated that Canopus doesn't make rock sets, or that Ludwig doesn't do bop, but it's definitely not true.

C’mon fellas.

Go read the reviews on the Canopus site, and you’ll be hard pressed to find one rocker in the bunch. There all jazzers. Well, I did find one rocker who liked the Canopus snare wires. Whoopee! Canopus is not making a living off of rockers, just like Ludwig is not selling to jazzers.

I’m out on this, because I feel like my simple comment to widdle down the OPs choices has killed his thread. :salute:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m shocked Ludwig doesn’t offer an 18” bass drum ...
Of course you're shocked, because they do make them. Legacy Mahogany, Legacy Maple and Classic Maple all offer 14" x 18" bass drums.

Edit: HA! 2 minutes behind...

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find it odd/amusing when people ask "What style of music do you play?" when deciding what to recommend brand-wise. Do they really think you can't play heavy metal on a Sonor Vintage set? Or be-bop on a Ludwig Vistalite set? Has everyone really gotten so predictable?

My criteria for drums boils down to the mounting system and hardware, the aesthetics, and the sizes available.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have the money & want lacquer, Gretsch would be a fantastic choice. The USA drums are versatile for all styles. Their wood finishes have been legendary for decades. Plus, in the event you want to sell them, the drums do not depreciate in value like some other brands.

Most drum brands have nice drums & the upper level gear has nice lacquer finishes. Pick your favorite brands and go do the research on their sites. Good luck.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it odd/amusing when people ask "What style of music do you play?" when deciding what to recommend brand-wise. Do they really think you can't play heavy metal on a Sonor Vintage set? Or be-bop on a Ludwig Vistalite set? Has everyone really gotten so predictable?

My criteria for drums boils down to the mounting system and hardware, the aesthetics, and the sizes available.
I agree with your criteria. All the demo videos sound great. I based my last new set purchase (Gretsch Renown) and previous one a long time ago (Spaun) based on aesthetics, features and price.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, Canopus is known to cater to the jazzers. They are known for their bop kits. It’s not that you can’t rock on them, but that’s not their strength. And Ludwig doesn’t even make a bop sized kit that I know of, so then yeah, I wouldn’t look to Ludwig for a jazz kit.
OK I'll stand corrected and try to understand. What size drums do you need for a bop size kit?

sherm

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess you can't play jazz on a Fender Telecaster guitar or Fender Jazz bass either then.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would probably only class myself as an Intermediate player and have only been playing for a couple of years, but this is now my hobby as well as my passion, as I enjoy the look of my drums as well as playing them.
I have a lovely set of Zildjian Custom A’s and a K, with Iron cobra pedals. It’s
only the shells I’m looking to invest in and whilst my CB / Dixon drums are in pretty much mint condition, I have a budget of a couple £K to spend on lacquered shells, something like the Mapex Black Panther in the Walnut Burst or something like the Ludwig Epic in the Sunburst.
Im looking for 6 drums, 22” bass, 16” and 14” floor, possibly (?) 13” and 12” rack with a “matching” 14” snare.
I would need a couple of combined tom/cymbal stands, as my toms are currently bass mounted and think I’d like to separated them in order to eliminate some of the sympathetic harmonics I get.
OK, your looking for a 6 piece kit and your looking for big drums. If your set on that go for it but you might consider a 20" Bass, that 2" will make a big difference when mounting drums over the bass, especially if you want deep toms. That also depends on your body size, I'm 5'7" and I like my toms just over the bass but not too high. I have both a 20 and 22, I gig my drums and I use the 20" almost exclusively on a normal stage. Just a thought you might consider. I like your choices for toms; you might also consider a 10 and 12 rather than using a 13. I'm using a 10x12 and that's pushing the limit for me over a 20" bass but that's just me. So you have a lot of things to consider.

I would suggest that you go to each website and research drum sizes and see what they offer for the models you like. I'm normally a Ludwig guy but I don't know about the Ludwig Epic drums quality and their sizes. Sound wise I would suggest checking out the new Gretsch Catalina Club. I just happened to see beautiful set at a drum shop about three days ago in the smaller sizes but I don't know all sizes they offer. They have really nice tone; I owned a 4 piece used set for a while and love them.

Do the research, go to a drum/music store if possible, I like to see and touch what I buy. And good luck!!!

sherm

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I suggest GRETSCH RENOWN or MAPEX SATURN (or a used Yamaha Stage Custom if money is tight). Also, get a used kit. Ya just pay too much for new (kinda like cars).

As far as needing a certain brand or size of BD to play jazz, I totally disagree! I played swingy low volume sax based jazz in lounges for YEARS on all different brands and used a 20" most of the time. I very rarely used an 18". The only person who would ever know the difference is the occasional drum snob in the audience. The other band members certainly never knew or cared what size bass I played.

I would wager that most jazz drumming in the '50's thru the '70's was done on 20" or 22" basses. 18" kicks just were not that common back in the day

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"..., like I wouldn't go with Canopus for rock or Ludwig for jazz.
Tell that to Joe Morello and his 22" Ludwig bass drum. I use a Ludwig CM, 20" bass drum, 12" and 14" toms, 6.5x14" snare for jazz and haven't had complaints about the appropriateness or sound...only complaints about my playing ability.

Mapex>All

Reaction score
Again looking for experienced advice, I am considering a set of new drums, lacquered not wrap, and there as some really good famous names out there like Ludwig, Sonor, Gretsch, Tama, Mapex, DW ..... etc, etc. I have a bit of money to invest but am looking for those in the know that could advise where best to spend my money?
You one hundred percent want to go with Mapex significantly above and beyond all the other names you’ve listed. You’ll get top sound phenomenal build quality tremendous looks impeccable support unmatched function and battle tested hardware.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s another approach. Make a list of 5 (maybe 4,3,7) of your favorites that meet the criteria you’ve set. Put them on a watch list from some of the sites (eBay, Memphis, dip, reverb) or get in the habit of searching daily. Wait for an incredible deal to pop up. You might save yourself enough cash to buy a second snare or upgrade some hardware. Good luck!