New Drumset Day - Classic Maple Jazzette

sammy123

Reaction score
I just got these tonight. Sky Blue Pearl Classic Maple. Jazzette sizes: 12, 14, 18. They came in one box completely disassembled. I wasn't expecting that so it took a while to assemble everything.

I had some tuning difficulties with one of the stock heads, but eventually got it sorted out with some G1s I had. They sound fantastic.

I sold my Starclassics a couple weeks ago and have been drumless since. The Ludwigs popped up for a good deal so I grabbed them. I've wanted the smaller sizes for a while so these fir the bill.

MVIMG_20200219_225620.jpg MVIMG_20200219_222905.jpg

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got these tonight. Sky Blue Pearl Classic Maple. Jazzette sizes: 12, 14, 18. They came in one box completely disassembled. I wasn't expecting that so it took a while to assemble everything.

I had some tuning difficulties with one of the stock heads, but eventually got it sorted out with some G1s I had. They sound fantastic.

I sold my Starclassics a couple weeks ago and have been drumless since. The Ludwigs popped up for a good deal so I grabbed them. I've wanted the smaller sizes for a while so these fir the bill.

View attachment 428134 View attachment 428135
Those look great!

sammy123

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. They sound sweet tuned up high. Although, this is my first kick smaller than 22" so tuning is going to take some experimenting.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. They sound sweet tuned up high. Although, this is my first kick smaller than 22" so tuning is going to take some experimenting.
I´m using an 18" bass drum a lot these days and I tune it quite low. What makes a huge difference is the Tama Classic Pedal which strikes almost dead center when the post is set in the lowest position and beater almost fully extended. Massive sound.

sammy123

Reaction score
I´m using an 18" bass drum a lot these days and I tune it quite low. What makes a huge difference is the Tama Classic Pedal which strikes almost dead center when the post is set in the lowest position and beater almost fully extended. Massive sound.
I'll have to check that out. Right now I have a Gibraltar that I'm not thrilled with

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"One box, disassembled"

Wow..........and what a beaut!

Gorgeous!
This is the best way to avoid major shipping costs and a great opportunity to clean and detail decades old drums, but many dont like that. They want that new drum feeling of pulling it out of the box and play. Followed by what do mean 250 for shipping? Well would be cheaper in one box, but I don't want to put it together....

Lovely kit btw

gmiller598

Reaction score
That finish looks so good. I like the blue sparkle on my classic maples but there are so many great looking finishes and this sky blue pearl is one of them.

sammy123

Reaction score
Yeah shipping was $30 so I get it. And you're right... was able to check all the edges, tighten everything, condition the edges, grease the lugs etc. I feel like I know these drum inside and out already.

I've just never ordered a drum set online so I wasn't expecting it.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really wish other buyers would see the positives as you have. when you get a 30 plus year old instrument, you should feel compelled to break it down and make sure everything is in order. If the seller has dismantled and one boxed it, then he has done half the "necessary" work.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Beautiful set!

Funny about the packing and assembly. I've seen a bunch of lower level sets come very disassembled. When I got my Gretsch Renown, I expected them to be disassembled, but I think I just had to do the bass drum heads.

I bought and sold a few top of the line Mapex Saturn sets and they were very disassembled, with a 6 pc. set coming in just a couple of boxes with almost no packing material.

I think you're right, that having to put them together would let you discover any faults or issues right away. Before this forum, I never checked the few new sets I had.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
LOng as there's no self-tapping screws... Were the lugs off the shell?.. that's pretty cool I guess Safety

sammy123

Reaction score
Yes everything was off. All parts bagged and labeled for the drum they went to.

Just to clarify this is a modern set. Not positive on the year, but newer and fantastic condition