New DW Slingerland Photos?

htkfred

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any DW Slingerland "sneak Photos" yet? I heard they will make Radio King style snares first. It has been awhile since the announcement, and I know Covid must have slowed everything down, but you'd think there were some pics? Made in Oxnard, CA?

gmiller598

Reaction score
My best guess is that we won't see anything until NAMM next year since product development takes time.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
Honestly, I think they are going to do it right and not cut corners. Here’s an example, the spurs on the new Rogers kit, big turn off. I don’t think DW is going to do something lame like that.

EssKayKay

Reaction score
That author makes stuff up...
DW didn't "take over" Gretsch. Nor have they "revived an iconic brand."
I also questioned that statement. Maybe someone much more knowledgeable and in the loop than I could enlighten us.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
DW took over the distribution of the Gretsch brand. The actual brand is still owned by Fred Gretsch and family. This is a similar deal as Fred had with Kaman. Of course the exact details are unknown, perhaps DW controls every aspect and makes every decision about how Gretsch drums are made and marketed, but that doesn't change the fact that they do not actually "own" it. Actually it's a smart setup on the part of Fred, let someone else do all the heavy lifting while he collects his licensing fees and probably a piece of the action as well. It's an ongoing money stream rather than a one time payout.

bharrington

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see it happen. Lombardi is a cool dude who appreciates the "greats" and his mention of the correct thickness of the shells is a nice indicator they could make a faithful reissue. I doubt most people would want the RK snare bridges, or additional throw-off arm extension, but I would hope they do an early-run RK straight up down to the screws. I'd be in line for one if it had the attention to detail like the Rogers Dynasonic reissue.

I have no idea what prompted the "gull wing" spurs on the new Rogers kits. The Dynasonics are incredible, probably the best reissue of a drum ever if we're talking about recreating hardware specs. There was a lot to take care of there, and they nailed it. They did a dead-on 60's "bowtie" t-handle and claw, beavertail lug and then... a fold out spur? I can understand that these are more finicky than a simple fold out spur, but still. Hopefully they are working on a correct swivo bracket and knobby cymbal bracket for later kits. They will easily sell tons of those as sold-separate parts if they recreate them.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Production opened up again this month in Oxnard, so I wouldn't expect much about Slingerland to leak out while they're going through their backlog and while they're still not at 100%. Safety first, drums second.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have no idea what prompted the "gull wing" spurs on the new Rogers kits. The Dynasonics are incredible, probably the best reissue of a drum ever if we're talking about recreating hardware specs. There was a lot to take care of there, and they nailed it. They did a dead-on 60's "bowtie" t-handle and claw, beavertail lug and then... a fold out spur? I can understand that these are more finicky than a simple fold out spur, but still. Hopefully they are working on a correct swivo bracket and knobby cymbal bracket for later kits. They will easily sell tons of those as sold-separate parts if they recreate them.
[/QUOTE]
Not that it's in the spirit of the original Rogers spurs, but Rogers DID, for a short time, offer fold out spurs that looked similar to the new ones.

Latest posts