New DW universal snare throw-off "Mini Mag"

BNK

Reaction score
Happened to stumble upon the new "Mini Mag" snare throw-offs on a Reverb music store but there doesn't appear to be much info available elsewhere.

Looks fantastic and it's very small and lighter compared to the normal Mag throw off. Just thought I'd put it out there if anyone is looking for a universal throw off for an older snare. I plan to get one to replace a crappy Ayotte strainer.

Bongo Jesus

Reaction score
I ordered one on my edge too, my only concern is when its in the off position it sticks out straight. Will your leg hit it?

BNK

Reaction score
I ordered one on my edge too, my only concern is when its in the off position it sticks out straight. Will your leg hit it?
The regular full-sized Mag strainer sticks straight out as well. Just position the strainer between your legs and it won't be an issue.

BNK

Reaction score
It came on my new snare last month. Love it so much as it is so small and smooth working.
Does it feel fragile at all?. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on one yet and while I love the regular Mag strainer, I'm nervous the mini Mag might be prone to breaking being so small.

BNK

Reaction score
The mounting bolts look very thick, like the stock holes in my snare may need to be drilled larger to mount the strainer. Don't know if I'm down with that.

pic1.jpg

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does it feel fragile at all?. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on one yet and while I love the regular Mag strainer, I'm nervous the mini Mag might be prone to breaking being so small.
On the contrary. It feels so sturdy because of its size. It takes up less estate in a case or bag and saves on weight. They really have thought this over.

The bolts look big because the strainer is so small.

3B63329B-76ED-4BF7-B218-066B992EAA13.jpeg

It looks like they used a generic size for those to fit other makes of drums too.

Reactions: BNK

BNK

Reaction score
On the contrary. It feels so sturdy because of its size. It takes up less estate in a case or bag and saves on weight. They really have thought this over.

The bolts look big because the strainer is so small.

It looks like they used a generic size for those to fit other makes of drums too.
Cool thanks for the information, will look into ordering one of these.

Bongo Jesus

Reaction score
The regular full-sized Mag strainer sticks straight out as well. Just position the strainer between your legs and it won't be an issue.
The regular mag throw off will swing all the down in the off position. The mini will not, it sits horizontal in the off position. I have the throw off positioned in front of my left knee being a right handed player. As for the other comments, it looks like it doesn't stick out far enough to be a concern.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is the hole spacing adjustable? The description in the link mentions being adjustable for hole spacing but it says a 1/"2 center to center and I don't see how that can be. Does it come with the butt plate? Thanks

BNK

Reaction score
Is the hole spacing adjustable? The description in the link mentions being adjustable for hole spacing but it says a 1/"2 center to center and I don't see how that can be. Does it come with the butt plate? Thanks
Adjustable mounting screw hole spacing from 1/2’’ (12.7mm) to 7/8’’ (22.2mm), see track that allows mounting bolts to slide.

Pic2.jpg

No butt plate included, please see photo above showing the actual packaging.

BNK

Reaction score
This looks very interesting, I’m a big fan of DW hardware!
Actually got to see one of these today on a DW carbon fiber piccolo. The strainer is so tiny it sat below the rim and barely sticks out past the lugs. Very smooth and quiet operation as was mentioned above.

The only down side was the tension knob has a very short knurled section and it was hard to adjust on the piccolo, however on a deeper drum where the rim isn't hindering grip, this would not be an issue. There's a drum key head on the top of the tension knob so it can also be adjusted easily with a drum key.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the big version on a custom built. It ain't pretty, but it sure works great. I'd get this tiny one.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
like a 14x7 on steroids. And very sensitive too.

I actually had a tough time getting it to sound more like a ballad snare opposed to the tight, snappy sounding snare it was when it arrived with me.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can't say DW doesn't listen and react to their customers. Well you can say it, and the usual haters will continue, but they'll just be indulging themselves.

Latest posts