New for 2021 Black Beauty....

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks pretty, but I've never been a fan of anything other than chrome hardware. To me, gold doesn't wear well over time if you intend to play this drum rather than store it away as a collector's piece.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait till they engrave it CC..
2) not sure I like the "gretsch" hoops on a Lud

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look like a Ludwig except for the badge. Many companies have beaded shells.

That wasn't very Ludwig of them.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that copper hardware with the matte black is evocative of a Saudi Prince VIP Section at a Euro Disney Car Show.

If it were chrome hardware, or slightly dirty nickel without the die cast hoopery, the combo might have a lean muscular look.

But as it is we’ve got a Black Beauty impersonating as a matte black Lamborghini Aventador with coppery wheels. The kind of 700 hp half-a-million-dollar car that is driven into a light pole within its first half hour of leaving the showroom.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'd like it better with the correct drum finish.......the mysterious shiny black......

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
here Boys... Discuss.

would you pay 3 or 400 for that?

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig or not I like it. I love die cast hoops on my snares anyway.

Reaction score
here Boys... Discuss.

would you pay 3 or 400 for that?
If you are serious Joe? I'd hold out for a Slingerland Artist or Professional, I think they are the best one piece NOB's. But that one for $350, maybe 400, no more. New strainer, extra holes, dents... And remember that is a one piece NOB shell, not the same as a two piece, but pretty close, and you can keep an extra grand or so in your pocket. But you can never go wrong with vintage NOB, but I wouldn't pay the listed price for that.

But back on topic... I think someone at Ludwig has my drum room bugged, but I don't like the Matte. Nothing wrong with gold on snares (only) they are the "royalty" of the drum set.
IMG_0867.JPG

I just need to get a gold strainer. Does Trick make a gold strainer that will fit over a beaded shell? That would seal the deal for me.

BB+DC= Great (modern) Snare sound.
MSG

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
The "matte" finish doesn't do a thing for me, though it is likely more durable than the standard black nickel plating. I suspect Matched Gripper is correct that these were probably B-stock shells. Apply a matte black finish on them, add copper plated hardware and they become a Limited Edition.
ludwig-14x6-5-hot-rod-black-beauty-snare-drum-lb427tdc-buy-at-footesmusic-p15278-14639_image.jpg
ludwig-14x6-5-hot-rod-black-beauty-snare-drum-lb427tdc-buy-at-footesmusic-p15278-14640_image.jpg
ludwig-14x6-5-hot-rod-black-beauty-snare-drum-lb427tdc-buy-at-footesmusic-p15278-14641_image.jpg

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The matte finish doesn't look good to me. The only drums with gold (or copper) hardware that I've come close to liking are on the Gretsch cadillac green sets, with
GRETSCH-USA-CUSTOM-125TH-ANNIVERSARY-4-PIECE-DRUM-KIT-CADILLAC-GREEN-DRUMAZON_04_1080x.jpg
Cadillac_6_grande_large.jpg
gold sparkle BD inlay and gold hardware.