New for Sonor 2021

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I loved it when someone tossed the tom shell aside while he was talking, but i did not see anyone catch it!!:headbang:

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, that was a lot better, as far as giving some indication of how the toms sound. I assume those shells are also undersized, like all of Sonor's German shells?
Yeah they are undersized..... but if you search around.. How many vids of the Vintage come close to this Smith practice vid?? ........ I have'nt seen/heard any .

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool video from Sonor. I liked wandering round the factory and getting a teaser of their new products.

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
bpaluzzi, that is the very video that sold me on the Vintage Series 4+ years ago. The sound Smith got from them with those stock Ambassador heads, along with the set's aesthetics... Well, I bought in big time. No regrets. If I could cite ANY minor quibble with this particular video, it would be my temptation to reach in when Steve wasn't looking and tighten the snare wire tension knob a quarter turn. Personal choice. Otherwise, a perfect representation of what they can do.

davidespinosa

Reaction score
I also thought that Karl-Heinz Menzel was the Managing Director of Sonor.

https://www.pressreader.com/germany/graenzbote/20200305/282222307806789

Arthur Chuang is the new managing director of Hohner.
5 Mar 2020

TROSSINGEN (pm) - Arthur Chuang is the new managing director of Matth. Hohner GmbH, Hohner Musikinstrumenten GmbH and Sonor GmbH. He took over the tasks at the beginning of March from long-time managing director Stefan Althoff, who left Hohner for personal reasons. The company announced this in a press release.

Althoff took over the management of the Hohner company in 2012, of which he was sole managing director for six years. Before that, he had been head of the Hohner subsidiary Sonor in Bad Berleburg / Aue since 1998. Arthur Chuang joined the management of Hohner Musikinstrument GmbH in 2007 and had previously worked as an assistant to the board of directors at Matth. Hohner GmbH and took care of the Strategic Center of Hohner Musikinstrument GmbH for around four years with the main tasks of product management, research and development and corporate matters. He left Hohner in 2011 and is now returning.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interestingly, the Rosewood replica veneer option is currently among the least expensive of Sonor's veneer offerings on the SQ2 line (Nussbaum Hilite may be the lowest). It is less expensive than the plain-jane natural finish. Even a white pearl wrap costs more than the Rosewood replica finish on an SQ2 build. Possibly in plentiful supply just waiting for incoming orders.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, the Rosewood replica veneer option is currently among the least expensive of Sonor's veneer offerings on the SQ2 line (Nussbaum Hilite may be the lowest). It is less expensive than the plain-jane natural finish. Even a white pearl wrap costs more than the Rosewood replica finish on an SQ2 build. Possibly in plentiful supply just waiting for incoming orders.
What do you mean by "Rosewood replica"? Is it not a true Rosewood veneer?

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, "simulated Rosewood" - I guess this is something like their tribal finishes, which are kind of simulated wood finishes?
It's real wood.. and a pain in theazzz process.. much of the Alpi stuff is usually very rich looking IMO.. and you can see the natural wood timber texture up close. .. I've seen some really bad imitations out there as well with other companies.. .. they usually look faded or worn.

Now.. there ARE some that Sonor uses that they should dump IMO.

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, "simulated Rosewood" - I guess this is something like their tribal finishes, which are kind of simulated wood finishes?
Nope, it’s almost all of them. Now this is a good thing for environment and it makes for a very consistent product. So you can order a matching SQ2 tom in ALPI ten years later and it will match. It also resists fading.

The few genuine veneers are African Marble, Scandi Birch, American Walnut, Silky Oak, and a few more that I am forgetting. Sonor made the switch in the 90s without telling customers BTW. A real curfuffle at the time. Before that, all veneers used on Teardrops, Phonics, Signatures, Lites was the real deal till around 95ish.

The thing that gets me about ALPI is that it’s made from a poplar slurry. Those plys of poplar count toward the overall shell makeup. Unlike other companies that buy pre made shells and then glue the veneer to the shell, Sonor uses the ALPI in the shell making process.

So referring to the chart below, a Maple Thin SQ2 is 3 ply making for a 6mm shell. But if you choose an ALPI finish inside and out, now it’s 1 ply maple at 2mm and 2 plys of poplar ALPI at 4mm. Your SQ2 thin Maple shell is 66% poplar.

Is that still a maple thin shell or lots of poplar slurry and glue with dye and you payed how much?

8F587386-21EC-45BA-ACC2-7BAAC9BBDE75.jpeg
34FC9E4C-5ED4-43DC-B9BF-0F8150ADC011.jpeg

freeflydawn

Reaction score
I'm ok with what it is, but it does seem a bit disingenuous for them to call it a rosewood veneer.

freeflydawn

Reaction score
Still better than DW that charges insane extra money for a vineer over maple, then calls it excotic.
In the US though, a DW collector's price is on par with sonor in terms of price. Sonor maybe be more affordable in Europe I'm guessing

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just Call it a vineer as it is. Its on the brink of tricking. Something they have done before (the rolled/cast ordeal).

From what I remember both the Excotic and the SQ2 are priced the same here. That makes it even worse

freeflydawn

Reaction score
Just Call it a vineer as it is. Its on the brink of tricking. Something they have done before (the rolled/cast ordeal).

From what I remember both the Excotic and the SQ2 are priced the same here. That makes it even worse
DW is guilty of the rolled vs cast shell. I don't know if sonor did this too?

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, it’s almost all of them. Now this is a good thing for environment and it makes for a very consistent product. So you can order a matching SQ2 tom in ALPI ten years later and it will match. It also resists fading.

The few genuine veneers are African Marble, Scandi Birch, American Walnut, Silky Oak, and a few more that I am forgetting. Sonor made the switch in the 90s without telling customers BTW. A real curfuffle at the time. Before that, all veneers used on Teardrops, Phonics, Signatures, Lites was the real deal till around 95ish.

The thing that gets me about ALPI is that it’s made from a poplar slurry. Those plys of poplar count toward the overall shell makeup. Unlike other companies that buy pre made shells and then glue the veneer to the shell, Sonor uses the ALPI in the shell making process.

So referring to the chart below, a Maple Thin SQ2 is 3 ply making for a 6mm shell. But if you choose an ALPI finish inside and out, now it’s 1 ply maple at 2mm and 2 plys of poplar ALPI at 4mm. Your SQ2 thin Maple shell is 66% poplar.

Is that still a maple thin shell or lots of poplar slurry and glue with dye and you payed how much?

View attachment 482044 View attachment 482045
Wow; I had no idea! Thanks for the info - good to know. The ALPI finishes never appealed to me, though - I'm partial to lacquer finishes. I like Sonor's red sparkle and a few other lacquer sparkle finishes.