New Funch pies arrived! 20" Spizzichino Tribute and 20" Vintage A Tribute

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been selling off quite a bit my Zildjians to get more of these Danish beauties. Today arrived 20" Spizzichino Tribute and 20" Vintage A Tribute, and oh boy I was not disappointed.
The latter have this very buttery and sweet old A-type of sound, reminds me of Kind of Blue somehow. If that one is a "gentleman", then the previous is a total bad boy having bit of dragon breath and way more aggressiveness. Loving both f these!

Recorded demos like always. Hope you guys like them!

IMG_20200616_134151.jpeg

JimmySticks

Reaction score
So who is Funch anyway?

I guess he's a local guy for you. There really are alot of good local cymbal smith's out there these days. Does he have a web site or YouTube channel?

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I may need to get my hearing checked because that Vintage A Tribute doesn't sound like any old A I've owned or heard. It sounds better! Actually, I like both cymbals and it would be difficult for me to choose between them.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So who is Funch anyway?

I guess he's a local guy for you. There really are alot of good local cymbal smith's out there these days. Does he have a web site or YouTube channel?
He's Lasse Funch, located in Copenhagen, Denmark. Sort of local, since I live in the neighbor country Sweden, so I have been able to visit his workshop once. I wish I lived closer, but it's still 6 hrs each way.

His Instagram page is more active than his YouTube channel. He posts more often some one off cymbals etc to there only.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwZlmUGnmPzK8E60gXESplA

http://instagr.am/p/CBD2KGQhD04/

JimmySticks

Reaction score
He's Lasse Funch, located in Copenhagen, Denmark. Sort of local, since I live in the neighbor country Sweden, so I have been able to visit his workshop once. I wish I lived closer, but it's still 6 hrs each way.

His Instagram page is more active than his YouTube channel. He posts more often some one off cymbals etc to there only.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwZlmUGnmPzK8E60gXESplA

http://instagr.am/p/CBD2KGQhD04/
I'm pretty impressed!

He has some very nice cymbals and his prices are very fair. His website is really nice and professional as well. Even the font he uses for his name/logo is very cool!

Thanks for sharing!

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm pretty impressed!

He has some very nice cymbals and his prices are very fair. His website is really nice and professional as well. Even the font he uses for his name/logo is very cool!

Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, I agree. The prices are very reasonable. Especially considering that Zildjians and Sabians get a price increase when shipped to Europe. So here the Funch Spizzichino Tribute 20" is even little bit cheaper than 20" Zildjian K ride, and that's just their regular K line. Constantinople line world be 30-40% more pricy than same sized Funch.

Not bad for a handmade cymbal.

dingaling

Reaction score
I had never heard of Funch before.
A month ago I was scrolling through hashtag’ed jazz drummers instagrams watching solos. Someone I’ve never heard of had one of these and it sounded so amazing. He had hashtag’ed Funch so I found their site. I ordered 2 rides and now they are in transit.
I don’t have very many rides, I have a lot of kits but only keep cymbals I use. I’m very excited. I had 3 spizzichino rides but sold all but one. With spizzichino they were all amazing but overall they each had such a similar enough sound quality where one was fine. (For the price).
These sound very different to me, although in person will be the real test. And although not cheap, well priced.

jaymandude

Reaction score
A month ago I was scrolling through hashtag’ed jazz drummers instagrams watching solos. Someone I’ve never heard of had one of these and it sounded so amazing. He had hashtag’ed Funch so I found their site. I ordered 2 rides and now they are in transit.
I don’t have very many rides, I have a lot of kits but only keep cymbals I use. I’m very excited. I had 3 spizzichino rides but sold all but one. With spizzichino they were all amazing but overall they each had such a similar enough sound quality where one was fine. (For the price).
These sound very different to me, although in person will be the real test. And although not cheap, well priced.
I'm interested in know how your order and request translates to your actual cymbal and needs/wants. That's the scary part for me...

dingaling

Reaction score
I'm interested in know how your order and request translates to your actual cymbal and needs/wants. That's the scary part for me...
He sent me high quality videos. If they aren’t for me, I think for what I paid I wouldn’t take a huge hit and maybe a good idea to hold onto them incase they get as popular as spizzichino did. Value could go up.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very cool story! That's pretty much how it started for me too, hearing them online and being really impressed.
What models, sizes and weights are you getting? Please, post the videos that you got, in case they're in YouTube.

jaymandude

Reaction score
Very cool story! That's pretty much how it started for me too, hearing them online and being really impressed.
What models, sizes and weights are you getting? Please, post the videos that you got, in case they're in YouTube.
your videos sound good. More appropriate to my playing than his. What would use use as " crashes" for your set ups ?

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
your videos sound good. More appropriate to my playing than his. What would use use as " crashes" for your set ups ?
Yeah, I play with bit heavier stick and touch than him, and most of Funch cymbals are from the heavy end of (Funch) scale. I have actually custom ordered an around 2600 gr 22" "rock-ride" and that's going to be interesting to see how he pulls that off.

Well, to me all cymbals are rides and crashes at the same time, so I don't really know how to answer. But most crash-likes are definitely the 20" vintage A tribute and 21" Kuru, which are the lightest of my Funches. But I ride them too.

jaymandude

Reaction score
Yeah, I play with bit heavier stick and touch than him, and most of Funch cymbals are from the heavy end of (Funch) scale. I have actually custom ordered an around 2600 gr 22" "rock-ride" and that's going to be interesting to see how he pulls that off.

Well, to me all cymbals are rides and crashes at the same time, so I don't really know how to answer. But most crash-likes are definitely the 20" vintage A tribute and 21" Kuru, which are the lightest of my Funches. But I ride them too.
I get that completely. But sometimes I want something that crashes more quickly than a 1700 gram 20. An 18 or 19 let’s say.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I get that completely. But sometimes I want something that crashes more quickly than a 1700 gram 20. An 18 or 19 let’s say.
Ok, I understand. He makes really thin 20's too, like 1500 gr, and also 18" and 19" cymbals, but I haven't tried them. I think the crashability is more about the weight than the model, but the Spizzichino tributes does have nice dragon breath to them in case you want something bit more exotic sounding as crash. And vintage A tribute has this buttery sweetness to it, in case you want more traditional sound, so a thin one would work great.

Latest posts