New Gene Krupa Book

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received my copy of Brooks Tegler's book about the equipment that Gene Krupa used and I have to say that I am very impressed. This would certainly be the new benchmark for any book about a particular drummer's equipment. I only wish that at some point Gary or someone could do a similar book on Ringo's drums. Obviously it was a labor of love to create such a work.

The book was originally done a year or two ago as an E-book. I don't care for reading on a screen and prefer a physical book so I was thrilled to see that he had started a go-fund-me campaign in order to have the book printed. The campaign was a success and the books were printed. My copy arrived yesterday. I'm not sure how many copies were printed and/or if it will remain in print in the future but at the moment it is available from Brooks (find him on facebook) for $45 (I think the e-book is $16).

gkn.jpg

Last edited:

5stroke

Reaction score
did Gene play matched grip a lot, the photo shows here?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
umm that's the Purdie Grip.
(butt end out in left)

Last edited:

Wolfman

Reaction score
did Gene play matched grip a lot, the photo shows here?

He mostly played traditional grip, but he did do certain things with matched (with the left stick backwards). He played most of "Sing, Sing, Sing" that way.

That book by Brooks is fantastic!

DD

Reaction score
I just received my copy of Brooks Tegler's book about the equipment that Gene Krupa used and I have to say that I am very impressed. This would certainly be the new benchmark for any book about a particular drummer's equipment. I only wish that at some point Gary or someone could do a similar book on Ringo's drums. Obviously it was a labor of love to create such a work.

The book was originally done a year or two ago as an E-book. I don't care for reading on a screen and prefer a physical book so I was thrilled to see that he had started a go-fund-me campaign in order to have the book printed. The campaign was a success and the books were printed. My copy arrived yesterday. I'm not sure how many copies were printed and/or if it will remain in print in the future but at the moment it is available from Brooks (find him on facebook) for $45 (I think the e-book is $16).

View attachment 531860
Very cool that he was able to get the book printed and thanks for sharing. Curious what additional sort of info it has that Gary’s Ringosbeatleskits website doesn’t cover? More photos and historical data? Does the Gene book go into much detail on the shell construction, Slingerland technical details etc?

Griener

Reaction score
Wonder if 2nd printing will be forthcoming? Guess ebook might have to be the way to go.
Brooks just posted on Facebook that he will be collecting orders for a second printing.
My copy is on its way, but he is trying to save money by combining overseas shipping.
But luckily there are Gene Krupa fans all over the world.

Reactions: JDA

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool that he was able to get the book printed and thanks for sharing. Curious what additional sort of info it has that Gary’s Ringosbeatleskits website doesn’t cover? More photos and historical data? Does the Gene book go into much detail on the shell construction, Slingerland technical details etc?
Gary has spoken of producing a book on Ringo's Beatle drums but so far has not done so to my knowledge. My statement was I WISH someone would do an as in depth book on Ringo's drums as Brooks has done on Krupa's.
I haven't read all the Krupa book but Brooks does do a good job of identifying all the various models Gene used through the years. As Slingerland's main "star" during the swing era Gene was on the cutting edge of drum design and instigated many improvements himself (such as toms with tunable reso heads). I'm not sure how in depth things go as far as shell layups and that sort of thing but most of Gene's drums would have had the standard Slingerland shells of the time. Generally mahogany/poplar/mahogany toms and bass drums and solid maple "Radio King" type snare drums during Gene's peak years as America's top drummin' man.

Reactions: DD

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, we really need a book about Ringos drums. He influenced millions of young drummers.

Reactions: DD

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woe is he who incorrectly identifies a Radio King drum under Brooks watch !!