New Gretsch Rail Consolette

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Canopus has a rail mount that looks very vintage. I haven't been able to find the price or how to order though. (Don't need one at the moment so haven't looked further)

Looks to be the same one Maxwell sells. Just a Ludwig copy. Not that that's a bad thing.

actionjcl

Reaction score
Yeah...and also seems Maxwell isn't selling them anymore, wish I had bought the Ludwig copy (4 bolt) when he had it.
I thought I heard it got too costly for Maxwell to continue having it made with the amount of sales he got from it. I wonder if Gretsch using a Gretsh-ified DW rail mount has anything to do with that? Not sure about Canapus though, looked everywhere and cannot find it, maybe Maxwell had something to do with it. The other neo vintage parts though are easily found, especially the baseball bat muffler now that Ludwig is using it on their jazz festivals and as a custom option for most U.S.A. drums other than NeuSonic.

Update: contacted Canopus on Facebook and they directed me to a sales rep that would be able to help in purchasing their rail mount. Not in need of one, so I didn’t contact the sales rep, all I really wanted to know is if it was still available.

Last edited:

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Looking at the canopus: http://drumcenter.de/en/canopus-crm-1-vintage-rail-mount-tomhalterung.html

$170 USD. Pretty steep for what it is. I think it might be worth it if they could include a nice wrench or wing nuts.

As far as the GibGretschDW goes...has anyone tried to flip the arm so that it’s pointing down to get closer to the bass drum?

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Can anyone provide the outside measurement for the rail on the Gretsch mount? Not the bolt hole spacing, but the actual outside of the rail itself. The holes on my drum are pretty close to the edge of the badge. See photo for reference in red. Thanks!
AD64AC4F-FD06-4E7E-88BF-0B576395AF7B.jpeg

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can anyone provide the outside measurement for the rail on the Gretsch mount? Not the bolt hole spacing, but the actual outside of the rail itself. The holes on my drum are pretty close to the edge of the badge. See photo for reference in red. Thanks! View attachment 488883
If you count the rubber it’s 6.25 inches for the DW model (which I gather is identical to the Gretsch). 6” w/o the rubber.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
It does lay flat on a bass drum if you are willing to tighten the wing nut drum under the rail. Clearly, mine is not installed though.
The bottom clamp is hinged so you can easily remove the arm altogether if you prefer. At least on the DW version. Fhats a nice feature and, in my opinion, one of the downfalls of the Ludwig and Gibraltar modern rails, they won't fold flat and they don't come off.