new guy cheers

slew

Reaction score
Just got here, figured I'd introduce myself and get a first post out of the way.
Not too much of a forum guy, but here I am anyway. I guess I hope to talk with drummers, about music and drums. Hmm.

In my 40s and have been drumming off and on for I guess about 15 years, but an almost 10 year hiatus in the middle, I guess you could say due to a broken heart.. my best friend and bass player, one day suddenly quit the band to become a full-time crackhead, and later essentially committed suicide this way. At the time he quit the band, not only was I losing my friend to his habit, we had been playing some really cool music too, so this was devastating to me on different levels. I had already found plenty of difficulty finding reliable musicians to play with in my circle, in my town, so this event led me a couple of years later to sell my drums and basically give up hope to ever make music again..

Which was a terrible mistake, I wasted years brooding over something out of my control, and letting the anger and sadness displace what is most important in my life, which has always been music, specifically making music. I finally woke up from this about 3 years ago, and found a couple of coworkers to jam with. One of them had a beat up Tama kit for me to play and we were off to the races. Along with the terrible muscle cramping and frustrations being rusty, there was fire and passion I hadn't felt, possibly ever in my life before.

As a kid in my 20s I was extremely lazy. I never really learned to read music and didn't really study rudiments beyond a glance. I really didn't even practice outside of band rehearsal.

That's changed these days, and I find myself going down the practice rabbit hole even though I don't really have a band right now. My coworker buddies and I still talk about jamming, but with things the way they are it's hard to get together, and I'm not sure they're as serious as I am anyway. So now I'm a lonely, bored, stircrazy, lamenting and anxious drummer, and I'm looking for surfaces to hit with sticks. I have talent, work ethic and even at my age plenty of upside potential, but I sure could use some good luck.

As I'm sure we all could right now.

Well, I didn't really intend to drop my drummer's life story on you, and now I'm emotional too. So not exactly how I would have planned this intro hello posting if I had planned it. Anyhow, hope you'll have me around. Cheers.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
slew, that was a great intro. Welcome to the forum. You’ll find wonderful and wise and humorous people on this board.

Having taking a hiatus or two myself, I can relate to your story. All that matters is that you’ve come back to playing. The rest fills in once that first step has been taken.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome! Hiatus.... Yes been there. Lately I've discovered an online educator Rob Brown who breaks down different beats/ exercises etc in an easy to follow along format. And he's pretty funny. You'll find this forum is a great place!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi and welcome. I am very much older and have had my down years too but, when I can, I get out and play. I have never been a wood-shedder and it probably shows but I make up for it - I think - in feel and taste in my jazz trios gigs and other gigs I can get in these quiet times for musicians.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just got here, figured I'd introduce myself and get a first post out of the way.
Not too much of a forum guy, but here I am anyway. I guess I hope to talk with drummers, about music and drums. Hmm.

In my 40s and have been drumming off and on for I guess about 15 years, but an almost 10 year hiatus in the middle, I guess you could say due to a broken heart.. my best friend and bass player, one day suddenly quit the band to become a full-time crackhead, and later essentially committed suicide this way. At the time he quit the band, not only was I losing my friend to his habit, we had been playing some really cool music too, so this was devastating to me on different levels. I had already found plenty of difficulty finding reliable musicians to play with in my circle, in my town, so this event led me a couple of years later to sell my drums and basically give up hope to ever make music again..

Which was a terrible mistake, I wasted years brooding over something out of my control, and letting the anger and sadness displace what is most important in my life, which has always been music, specifically making music. I finally woke up from this about 3 years ago, and found a couple of coworkers to jam with. One of them had a beat up Tama kit for me to play and we were off to the races. Along with the terrible muscle cramping and frustrations being rusty, there was fire and passion I hadn't felt, possibly ever in my life before.

As a kid in my 20s I was extremely lazy. I never really learned to read music and didn't really study rudiments beyond a glance. I really didn't even practice outside of band rehearsal.

That's changed these days, and I find myself going down the practice rabbit hole even though I don't really have a band right now. My coworker buddies and I still talk about jamming, but with things the way they are it's hard to get together, and I'm not sure they're as serious as I am anyway. So now I'm a lonely, bored, stircrazy, lamenting and anxious drummer, and I'm looking for surfaces to hit with sticks. I have talent, work ethic and even at my age plenty of upside potential, but I sure could use some good luck.

As I'm sure we all could right now.

Well, I didn't really intend to drop my drummer's life story on you, and now I'm emotional too. So not exactly how I would have planned this intro hello posting if I had planned it. Anyhow, hope you'll have me around. Cheers.
Welcome. Its a good helpful group. I have learned a lot coming here

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Slew.

This is a great place to "digitally hang", and talk about drums, drummers, and drumming. But its also just a supportive community. Many of us have had our own ups and downs and are here to also talk about deeper things than snare depths.

Jump in, ask questions, and lose yourself in drumming again. We are here.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Slew. I think you'll like it here. I've heard a lot of inspiring stories from the forum members here, and not just about drumming. I think you'll like it.

richardh253

Reaction score
Great to have you along! I got busy on this board this year when I retired, and it's a great group of folks. Look forward to your sharings.

Latest posts