New guy.. Dw fanatic

dwmaster

Reaction score
hey, i'm new to the site.. looks like a pretty cool place to get info and buy and sell. look forward to it.. i love dw drums and am currently in the market for a new kit. i would love a collectors series kit but will probably go with performance series due to cost.. just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.. btw Rich Redmond is my hero!

Bunnyman

Stuarto Pidasso
Reaction score
Peeps around here (me NOT included) HATE Dee Dubs. I LOVE MY FREAKING DW DRUM KITS!!!!!!!

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Performance Series are great drums....

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Diggin' my DWs since I bought them in '02. Great freakin' drums and welcome to the forum.

BlakeN70

Reaction score
Love my DW's. If your budget only allows you to get the Performance series, I say "go for it" I have Collectors series, but would also buy a Performance series in a heartbeat!! Actually not as much difference as you may think.

wayneonthedrums

Reaction score
Thought I was way overspending back in 2001 when I bought my Collectors series but turned out to be the best thing I ever did.
Still my main set.
Absolutely love my DW's!

st.inc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ever since i got back into drumming after a 10 year break from playing in bands i got into the vintage drums and i could care less about new drums, i dont even look for or at newer drums unless they are a really cheap good deal. i dont even have the slightest urge to even buy a brand new set. that being said i dont have any hate for dw's though. the thing i hate is the secondary brand name that alot of big names come out with like when someone is selling a "gibson" and then you see the pic and its an epiphone or the cheaper dw stuff pacific or whatever it is. to me that stuff is crap! dont say its a gibson when its an epiphone!

AJMcHardy

Reaction score
st.inc said:
ever since i got back into drumming after a 10 year break from playing in bands i got into the vintage drums and i could care less about new drums, i dont even look for or at newer drums unless they are a really cheap good deal. i dont even have the slightest urge to even buy a brand new set. that being said i dont have any hate for dw's though. the thing i hate is the secondary brand name that alot of big names come out with like when someone is selling a "gibson" and then you see the pic and its an epiphone or the cheaper dw stuff pacific or whatever it is. to me that stuff is crap! dont say its a gibson when its an epiphone!
Getting slightly OT I know but I had an Epiphone Les Paul for years that was a great guitar, I had it professionally set up and swapped out the stock pickups for Duncan 59's and it was the equal of any Gibson I played; only difference was the headstock.

I've allso got some Pacific drums that sound great; I think the great unaknowledged fact by my vintage leaning brethren is that all vintage drums were once new. I'm wondering if drummers in the 50's and 60's were saying "I gotta get some of that pre-war stuff, this new gear just aint cutting it"?

It is annoying when sellers advertise the premium brand and are actually selling the off-shore "replica" but I've seen many instances when this was out of ignorance not subterfuge; like the guy last week who tried to sell me an "Evans" drum set with "Gibraltar" cymbals.

Drums are drums and hitting them makes us happy! DW's included...and John Good is infectiously enthusiastic about making them.

Bunnyman

Stuarto Pidasso
Reaction score
AJMcHardy said:
It is annoying when sellers advertise the premium brand and are actually selling the off-shore "replica" but I've seen many instances when this was out of ignorance not subterfuge; like the guy last week who tried to sell me an "Evans" drum set with "Gibraltar" cymbals.
You were lucky that they were trying to sell Gibraltar Cymbals. Most of the time they are selling Zilgen Symbols.

R

RickP

DW seems to be a polarizing topic around here. I for one like DW drums and have owned a Collectors maple and a Jazz series kit in the past. They were fine drums , but I prefer the drums I play now. DW has made some innovator hardware and is always introducing interesting new ideas and products.

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I loved my DW Collectors I had in the past, but I just seem to like birch drums more so I let them go. I am still a fan of DW drums and I may buy another set in the future with a different shell type. Maybe Eco-X, Jazz Series, or Classics! DW makes great drums!

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Welcome! DW makes a very nice high quality instrument. I don't hate them, I just don't care for their tone. I do however love their 6000 series hardware.

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Collectors Lacquered VLT Maple from 2007, a Collectors FinishPly SSC Maple from 2009, and ordering a Performance Series Lacquer kit very soon. Had a Maple/Mahogany kit also. I had played some other brands in the interim, but came to the conclusion I love DW Drums!

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Welcome!
I have a Collectors Tamo Ash kit and several DW snares, love them all.
The Performance Series are superb drums.

AJMcHardy

Reaction score
Ringocollins said:
You were lucky that they were trying to sell Gibraltar Cymbals. Most of the time they are selling Zilgen Symbols.
I've got some of those, they go great with my Purl base drum.

homeby5

DFO Master
Reaction score
DW's SUCK!!!! BOOOOO!!!!

Just kiddin' :) Great to have ya' and hope you have thick skin being a DW owner around here.....I'm a previous owner of a DW collector series and they were fine.

Again, welcome and dive on in and don't take any bunk!! :laughing6: