New guy here, closet drummer...... not new to drums

Mike St.Clair

Reaction score
Just a little about me. I'm 39, used to play through high school and with two different bands while onboard ships in the Navy from 1989-1995. Since then, I've done very little. I filled in for a "jazz" drummer with a local town band and played at our church's VBS for two or three years. I guess I haven't pursued it because I'm not really wanting to gig til 3 or 4am on the weekends and be comatose the next morning with my family.... I currently have a set of 09 Yamaha Oak Customs that I'm trying to sell. They're on Craigslist in Raleigh NC. Will post here once I have 5 posts. Like them, but miss my 08 Tama Starclassic performers. I'll be looking at the Starclassic B/B's, Mapex Saturns, Gretsch Renowns, and whatever else fits in the under $1500 category shellpack. My choice of setup is 8/10/12/14/22. Most of the 4 pc kits are 10/12/16/22, like my Oaks, but I prefer the 14" tom. I have kept my Tama Roadpro hardware and Iron Cobra since 2006 when I bought my first 06 Starclassic performer kit, which didn't compare to the last version of it IMHO.
Thanks Jamie Kuhl for referring me here! Long time member of PDF and Drummer's World.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
well either those numbers are in millimeters or you got a really big closet.

welcome, Mike!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
welcome mike,from another mike. hoe that you enjoy it here! :icon_smile:

mike

Mike St.Clair

Reaction score
Thanks guys! For some reason when I joined, it automatically pulled my wife's pic from FB or something. Finally fixed that!! I guess I'm expensive enough "in" the closet..... :ph34r:

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Welcome, Mike. There's a lot of nice stuff out there in the price range you're looking at, good time to be a buyer.

Mike St.Clair

Reaction score
As soon as my Oaks sell, I'll be on a mission.... Ideally I'd love a 8/10/12/14/22 shellpack, but could do without the 8" and order it later.

Signals

Reaction score
Hi Mike!

Seen you over on Drummerworld & the PDF. I just got Oak Customs and love 'em -- even more than Saturns and Renowns. I haven't tried the Tama B/B's yet, but from what I've read they seem to have the same characteristics as the Oaks.

Mike St.Clair

Reaction score
Hi Mike!

Seen you over on Drummerworld & the PDF. I just got Oak Customs and love 'em -- even more than Saturns and Renowns. I haven't tried the Tama B/B's yet, but from what I've read they seem to have the same characteristics as the Oaks.
Yes, I remember you. What head combination are you using? I tried EC2's and the Emad system. Couldn't get the 16" the way I wanted it. I'm wondering if the reso heads that came on them are hurting much.

Signals

Reaction score
Yes, I remember you. What head combination are you using? I tried EC2's and the Emad system. Couldn't get the 16" the way I wanted it. I'm wondering if the reso heads that came on them are hurting much.

When I first got the kit I tuned the heads to where I like them, more for feel than sound -- batters around 74 and resos around 78 using a Drum Dial. That would be medium tension for batters and a bit tighter for resos. However, they seemed a bit 'boingy' to me so I replaced the stock batters (which I believe are Ambassadors) with clear Emperors, and the toms sound great now. The hardest drum to get right was the bass, but I took some advice from a Yamaha rep named Jim Haler -- great guy -- he told me to push down on the batter (to seat it properly) while tightening to just past wrinkle, then push down once again and go maybe another 1/2 turn or so with the drum key. The reso should be done the same way, only tweaked a little tighter than the batter. Now the drum sounds thunderous (is that a word? lol). Actually, it sounds like I have an EMAD on the batter even though I'm using the stock heads. One other thing I did was to port the reso, but that was more for feel than sound, but still...it sounds great. Overall, I am now very pleased with the Oak's. They have the melodic nature of my old Maple Customs and the cut/clarity of my old Birch Customs -- the best of both!

As a side note, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend the Renown's or Saturn's -- they both kill. However, they do seem to lack some of the 'refinement' of the Yamaha's. I don't quite know what it is...but anyway, it's the sound that matters, and they both deliver.

Besides, sometimes you just need a change. :smile:

Latest posts