New Hardware Ideas

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot lately about hardware I wish somebody would make. There are a couple of things I would love to see somebody build and make available, and I assume that some of you may also have that certain piece of hardware you'd love if you could get it. Well, I figured it might be a fun thread, and who knows? Maybe a manufacturer is watching and taking notes. What are your ideas? Here's one of mine:

I'd like to see a shell-mounted (not hoop), modern (not gull wing) bass drum spur that can be mounted without drilling more holes in the shell. It would be low mass and light weight. I'm speaking of a style similar to the ones pictured here, but that can use existing holes and are much thinner and lighter. For those wishing to replace retractable spurs, an optional mounting plate that reaches those wider spaced holes could also be made available.

71Z9YEhlpOL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot lately about hardware I wish somebody would make. There are a couple of things I would love to see somebody build and make available, and I assume that some of you may also have that certain piece of hardware you'd love if you could get it. Well, I figured it might be a fun thread, and who knows? Maybe a manufacturer is watching and taking notes. What are your ideas? Here's one of mine:

I'd like to see a shell-mounted (not hoop), modern (not gull wing) bass drum spur that can be mounted without drilling more holes in the shell. It would be low mass and light weight. I'm speaking of a style similar to the ones pictured here, but that can use existing holes and are much thinner and lighter. For those wishing to replace retractable spurs, an optional mounting plate that reaches those wider spaced holes could also be made available.

View attachment 434829
Isn't there a company that does that by mounting the spurs to full length lugs? If you want the spurs to be mounted without holes in the shell, or to the hoop, I can't think of a way to accomplish that. They have to be mounted to something attached to the drum.

Having mounted my toms in snare baskets for 25 years for the extra sustain and resonance, I always wanted a company to make basket stands for floor toms. No legs. You just drop the drum into a low but, stout basket stand with full-tilt adjustments and wide, flat-based legs.

Last edited:

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
...If you want the spurs to be mounted without holes in the shell, or to the hoop, I can't think of a way to accomplish that. They have to be mounted to something attached to the drum.
Not without holes, but with existing holes from prior spurs - sort of the way an INDe mount works with existing tom mount holes. And I'm not interested at all in hoop-mounted spurs. It would have to be shell-mounted.

BTW, I started this thread more to find out what you guys would like to see made. It's more for the fun of it rather than to solve my own hardware wishes. :)

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Having mounted my toms in snare baskets for 25 years for the extra sustain and resonance, I always wanted a company to make basket stands for floor toms. No legs. You just drop the drum into a low but, stout basket stand with full-tilt adjustments and wide, flat-based legs.
You're right - I don't know of anything like that and I think it would be used by many drummers if available. The closeset thing I can think of was the RIMS FT basket which had to stay attached to the bottom of the drum.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not without holes, but with existing holes from prior spurs - sort of the way an INDe mount works with existing tom mount holes. And I'm not interested at all in hoop-mounted spurs. It would have to be shell-mounted.

BTW, I started this thread more to find out what you guys would like to see made. It's more for the fun of it rather than to solve my own hardware wishes. :)
Oh, you mean develop a retro-fit plate of some kind. Yeah, that would be cool.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, you mean develop a retro-fit plate of some kind. Yeah, that would be cool.
Exactly. I could have been more clear about that I suppose. Sometimes I assume y'all can read my mind. LOL
But not only that, I would want it to be thinner and lighter than the norm, so it would look good with vintage sets and not add excessive weight/bulk to the drum.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Spurs: I've never found spurs I liked better than the simple disappearing spurs on my round badge Gretsch bass drum. They weigh next to nothing and hold my drum securely in place, and have since the first Gretsch I got in 1966. I don't see why a single hole less than an inch in diameter is more offensive than 3-4 bolt holes for rotating spurs that may damage your finish while in transit. That happened to a friend.

Stand for floor toms: I think this would be less stable and much heavier than legs. Height adjustment could also be problematic. Just think about the challenges people have getting stands that go low enough to use with deep snare drums. That would be even worse on a 16" deep tom.

Jml

Reaction score
I would be more interested in seeing a company develop a lightweight , comfortable and stable drum throne .
Ditto to this. Plus, maybe someone can make hardware as light as the Yamaha Crosstown stuff that is NOT flat based and doesn’t scratch easily or look like space age metal.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What I'd really like to see is an update/modification to the now discontinued Gibraltar Ultra-Adjust hi-hat stand (although I'm sure this could work on any remote HH).
I think that they had a great idea right out of the gate with the adjustability part on the stand... Talk about reducing possible RSI issues or giving a leg up to the open-handed player... this hi-hat certainly addresses those customers. I think the issue that plagued this stand was around the cable feel and cable durability. They did a redesign on this at some point which I think helped address the durability issue but not so much on the feel.

So, what I'd like to see is some hybrid of a rod pull on the primary stand that connects or terminates in the cable portion... some kind of beefy clamp to transition from rod to cable. This rod "redesign" eliminates the broken cable issue from or through the primary stand and puts it to another area that might be more serviceable for the average Joe, and I would think the rod would help improve or eliminate the laggy feeling of the cable. Additionally, maybe it could have a couple of small pulleys to improve the feel on the cable side?

Hybrid HH.jpg

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I should patten this before suggesting it but...a brush tray. It would easily snap onto the top of your floor tom rods like your drum key, or the rods (three of them) could be removed and slipped through holes in the perimeter of the tray. The tray would be able to fold down inconspicuously against the drum shell tight enough to fit in your tom case. The top of the tray would be grooved to prevent a stick or brush from rolling off. It would only need to be large enough to accommodate one pair of brushes.

I know it's traditional to use the top of the bass drum for this or the floor tom itself, but this would be another place that's very close by. After the gig it quickly folds down against any tom shell and slides into the case you already have still attached to the drum. Made out of a strong plastic ($50) or light weight aluminum ($100) Thoughts?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd like to see some type of "3rd leg" that could be attached to a 2-legged hi-hat stand for those occasions when you have to play on uneven surfaces and need a bit more stability.

I use a snare stand to mount my rack tom rather than the rail consolette on my bass drum. I wish they made a small hollow tube that would fit over the "L" arm on the rail consolette that could be used as a cymbal post for a splash cymbal.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I should patten this before suggesting it but...a brush tray. It would easily snap onto the top of your floor tom rods like your drum key, or the rods (three of them) could be removed and slipped through holes in the perimeter of the tray. The tray would be able to fold down inconspicuously against the drum shell tight enough to fit in your tom case. The top of the tray would be grooved to prevent a stick or brush from rolling off. It would only need to be large enough to accommodate one pair of brushes.

I know it's traditional to use the top of the bass drum for this or the floor tom itself, but this would be another place that's very close by. After the gig it quickly folds down against any tom shell and slides into the case you already have still attached to the drum. Made out of a strong plastic ($50) or light weight aluminum ($100) Thoughts?

They are making something like you suggest and I own one and love it , the drummer’s pallet

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

They are making something like you suggest and I own one and love it , the drummer’s pallet
Well SOB...I might have to get one them thangs. Thanks. Not as cool as a folding one in my head but....

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Axis Percussion make the closest solution to what I wanted, and I bought and use two of them, but they could still be improved.

I wanted my rack toms mounted in snare baskets that could be positioned anywhere over a bass drum. In every case before getting the Axis, the stem and wheel to tighten a snare basket make it too deep to mount above a bass drum without having the toms way too high or way too angled. They make a vortex snare basket that's very shallow and has a small tightening lever. The problem is the cost. My wallet took a big smack getting two of them.

I think the Axis could be improved by making the three rubber "fingers" that hold the drum, softer and less tone absorbing. The toms needed a lot more help to get their full tone out, so I bought Gauger flex frames to put under each of them. Now they both sound really good, but between the vortex baskets and flex frames, that sure wasn't a cheap way to get them there.

Almost forgot how I attach the whole contraption to stands. Add even more cost for clamps with rotating joints...

Last edited:

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
Exactly. I could have been more clear about that I suppose. Sometimes I assume y'all can read my mind. LOL
But not only that, I would want it to be thinner and lighter than the norm, so it would look good with vintage sets and not add excessive weight/bulk to the drum.
I am having the same problem/debate with my Ludwig Standards. I have wavered between using an older Pearl Optimount tom suspension between the lugs with a modern spur mounted to it, to making my own plate that uses the single hole and perhaps a lug or 2, to INDE/Atlas brackets. To add to my problems is that I want it to be black chrome.

I am also working with a buddy who is an engineer to make parts to retro fit my remote hat to turn it into a speedy hat type with pulleys...

Last edited:

Latest posts