New Hardware Ideas

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Trying to come up with something clever...

what about a fast-on/off bass drum muffler? Say if you want a very open sound as well as a muffled sound within one song. You can already put a towel behind the pedal post and remove it, but putting it back while playing is a bit tough. The hoop-mounted adjustable muffler made by Remo (formerly Chaffee muffler) is very adjustable, but can it be switched off/on while playing?
The easiest solution could use no actual hardware, just a weighted pad with two cords/hooks that mount to the top t-rods (like on a stick bag), on the batter side. You could flip it down to muffle the part of the head above the beater spot., or flip it up to rest on top of the drum to remove the muffler.
Alternatively, a felt strip clamped to the outside of the head, with the upper clamp involving a flip lever to lift the felt off the head.
Or, we all just practise until we've mastered muffling an open head burying the beater...

Several things I could use have already been invented - on/off cymbal sizzler, multi-lever/wire snare strainers for different sounds - maybe it would be something new to combine this with lever-adjusted incremental tension? Imagine changing the number of wires as well as the tension just with the levers.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Axis Percussion make the closest solution to what I wanted, and I bought and use two of them, but they could still be improved.

I wanted my rack toms mounted in snare baskets that could be positioned anywhere over a bass drum. In every case before getting the Axis, the stem and wheel to tighten a snare basket make it too deep to mount above a bass drum without having the toms way too high or way too angled. They make a vortex snare basket that's very shallow and has a small tightening lever. The problem is the cost. My wallet took a big smack getting two of them.

I think the Axis could be improved by making the three rubber "fingers" that hold the drum, softer and less tone absorbing. The toms needed a lot more help to get their full tone out, so I bought Gauger flex frames to put under each of them. Now they both sound really good, but between the vortex baskets and flex frames, that sure wasn't a cheap way to get them there.

Almost forgot how I attach the whole contraption to stands. Add even more cost for clamps with rotating joints...
Wow I'll bet that is awesome. It makes me a little dizzy when I imagine what your total bill was on those parts!

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
Yeah I hope Josh is reading this. :laughing6:
Just found it! I do have a bunch of new spur options about to launch (all still gullwing-style though). I have a bunch of different length spurs that I make out of lightweight aluminum, which can be combined with either the BR2/BR2XL brackets (which go in any horizontally placed holes where a bracket used to be), or the BR3 brackets, which mount in place of lugs. All of the options should be up on the website within the next week, feel free to message me for details in the meantime!!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1) Once again, I'd love to see a light-weight tom rail mount fixture with the simplicity of the old W&A rail mount and the set-and-forget ruggedness of the DW rail mount. Something made from aluminum rather than tractor-sized cast steel. And with a lug-replacement mounting fixture like the Ludwig Atlas mounts so that no drilling would be required. So the four paramount issues: light weight, drill-less attachment, reliable adjustability, and compact dimensions.

2) A version of the original Yamaha YESS mounts incorporating L-rod receivers instead of the Yamaha hex rod. (I absolutely love the original YESS mounts because of their simplicity, reliability, and function. When installed on a tom's Nodal Point, I'm convinced that the Yamaha mounts work just as well as all other isolation mounting systems. And their simplified appearance looks right. But we need a universal version that will accept the now-standard L-rod mounts.)

3) Is it economically feasible to design, construct, and sell heavy-duty but lightweight hardware? I don't think there is any doubt that it could be done, but can it be done for approximately the same price as regular hardware? (This is primarily concerned with stands, thrones and the like, but maybe we should add in drum lugs, hoops, and suspension mounts.)

I don't know. But how nice would it be to have heavy-duty hardware - something along the line of Yamaha's 600/700 series - that is made from aluminum or some other material? Yamaha's CrossTown series of hardware delivers on the lightweight requirement, but . . . well . . . it's just not attractive to most of us. In a sea of beautiful chrome, the matte aluminum finish of the CrossTown hardware stands as a stark contrast.

So, I'm back to my original question: can the terms chrome, lightweight, heavy-duty, and reasonably-priced live together in harmony? The last characteristic continues to elude us.

GeeDeeEmm

markkarj

Reaction score
3) Is it economically feasible to design, construct, and sell heavy-duty but lightweight hardware? I don't think there is any doubt that it could be done, but can it be done for approximately the same price as regular hardware? (This is primarily concerned with stands, thrones and the like, but maybe we should add in drum lugs, hoops, and suspension mounts.)
I think Gibraltar had tried with some double-braced aluminum stands as well as more "oval" type legs in the 1990s. Perhaps it didn't sell well.

I think of my Yamaha double-braced boom off which I fly a couple of toms as well as an additional cymbal. It's solid, but could cause a hernia or slipped disc. Aluminum could be a big benefit there.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think Gibraltar had tried with some double-braced aluminum stands as well as more "oval" type legs in the 1990s. Perhaps it didn't sell well.

I think of my Yamaha double-braced boom off which I fly a couple of toms as well as an additional cymbal. It's solid, but could cause a hernia or slipped disc. Aluminum could be a big benefit there.
You're exactly right about the Gibraltar hardware, and I believe it was in the 1990s as well. I'd completely forgotten about those. The store where I worked at that time stocked of few of those pieces, but the prices hurt the sales.

I tried to locate some old cut sheets or photos, but couldn't find any.

GeeDeeEmm

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are ideas like universal suspension mounts / bass drum spurs you can mount to vintage kits w/o additional drilling that players could find useful and aren't too expensive.

But a lot of stuff is just hard to scale. For example, they can make lightweight, heavy duty cymbal stands that aren't goofy looking, but at $500 a stand they won't sell very many. There was a great Modern Drummer Inside Pearl feature in the late 90s. The president of Pearl said artists come to them with ideas all the time and the engineers can make it happen. But if the marketing department says they can't sell it and there isn't a return on investment then it's not going to happen, even for a major artist.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I'd like to see a drum throne where the center post is a solid piece of metal instead of hollow. I happen to be a bigger guy and even a heavy duty throne that I bought snapped at the seat due to the center post being hollow. The last throne I bought I got a wooden dowel and ran it down the center post from the top to the floor and so far no problems. But I still think a solid post instead of hollow could help solve the issue with the throne breaking at that weak point.

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
Just found it! I do have a bunch of new spur options about to launch (all still gullwing-style though). I have a bunch of different length spurs that I make out of lightweight aluminum, which can be combined with either the BR2/BR2XL brackets (which go in any horizontally placed holes where a bracket used to be), or the BR3 brackets, which mount in place of lugs. All of the options should be up on the website within the next week, feel free to message me for details in the meantime!!
New spur options are live on our website! https://www.indedrum.com/drum-upgrades-accessories/spur

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd like to see a drum throne where the center post is a solid piece of metal instead of hollow. I happen to be a bigger guy and even a heavy duty throne that I bought snapped at the seat due to the center post being hollow. The last throne I bought I got a wooden dowel and ran it down the center post from the top to the floor and so far no problems. But I still think a solid post instead of hollow could help solve the issue with the throne breaking at that weak point.
What brand and model was it because I have never seen one with a hollow center post?

Drm1979

Reaction score
What brand and model was it because I have never seen one with a hollow center post?
My 1st one was a CB throne. It actually gave me 3 years before the post snapped just under the seat. The one I have now is some cheap brand that was labeled as heavy duty from amazon. Once I got it I discovered that it was crap as well. Which is why I got the dowel and ran it through the center post to reinforce the center post.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What I'd really like to see is an update/modification to the now discontinued Gibraltar Ultra-Adjust hi-hat stand (although I'm sure this could work on any remote HH).
I think that they had a great idea right out of the gate with the adjustability part on the stand... Talk about reducing possible RSI issues or giving a leg up to the open-handed player... this hi-hat certainly addresses those customers. I think the issue that plagued this stand was around the cable feel and cable durability. They did a redesign on this at some point which I think helped address the durability issue but not so much on the feel.

So, what I'd like to see is some hybrid of a rod pull on the primary stand that connects or terminates in the cable portion... some kind of beefy clamp to transition from rod to cable. This rod "redesign" eliminates the broken cable issue from or through the primary stand and puts it to another area that might be more serviceable for the average Joe, and I would think the rod would help improve or eliminate the laggy feeling of the cable. Additionally, maybe it could have a couple of small pulleys to improve the feel on the cable side?

View attachment 434897
I have one of those. I got it to use with my tabletop set. I think the feel is really good for what it is. It does have close tolerance issues, though. Things bump into each other because they are not made quite long or distant enough between adjustment parts. Huge oversight. But, when I use it, I like it.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Axis Percussion make the closest solution to what I wanted, and I bought and use two of them, but they could still be improved.

I wanted my rack toms mounted in snare baskets that could be positioned anywhere over a bass drum. In every case before getting the Axis, the stem and wheel to tighten a snare basket make it too deep to mount above a bass drum without having the toms way too high or way too angled. They make a vortex snare basket that's very shallow and has a small tightening lever. The problem is the cost. My wallet took a big smack getting two of them.

I think the Axis could be improved by making the three rubber "fingers" that hold the drum, softer and less tone absorbing. The toms needed a lot more help to get their full tone out, so I bought Gauger flex frames to put under each of them. Now they both sound really good, but between the vortex baskets and flex frames, that sure wasn't a cheap way to get them there.

Almost forgot how I attach the whole contraption to stands. Add even more cost for clamps with rotating joints...
I've been using Axis snare baskets since the 90's because of their shallow design. I totally removed and made my own mini-platforms to hold the drums, though. The hard plastic ones, I still have them in a bag somewhere but, they were no help to the tone of the drums but, they are made for holding snare drums where open tone is not an issue like toms, though. Plus I had to remake them for 8 and 10" toms, too. Maybe the 12 as well.

I'll tell you what, though. I got a full set of DW flat based snare stands and use those for 6-13" toms on my plywood set and they work really well. I just had to modify some of the arms for the smaller toms. Plus remove all the legs. They have universal tilt which is great. Using old Ludwig or Slingerland baskets is okay but, on the Ludwig's the drop in tilt with the gear teeth isn't user friendly. You get what you get for tilt. Slingerland has very tiny teeth on the tilting gear which is much better. It's getting hard and harder to find those stands in good condition though and "vintage" pricing makes it more sensible to just use DW's.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been using Axis snare baskets since the 90's because of their shallow design. I totally removed and made my own mini-platforms to hold the drums, though. The hard plastic ones, I still have them in a bag somewhere but, they were no help to the tone of the drums but, they are made for holding snare drums where open tone is not an issue like toms, though. Plus I had to remake them for 8 and 10" toms, too. Maybe the 12 as well.
I'm also a big fan of Axis hardware, pricey as it is. I have a lot of respect for Darrell and his company, and really use very few other hardware items except throne and some of the stuff I make for myself. One of those is a retrofit basket for the Axis snare stand; I've posted a pic of it before, but here it is again - two different prototypes of the four I've made:

C9571F71-212D-4BF7-BC63-499EE3FCBFEB.jpeg

FE231A94-CBBE-4D14-988E-CEF8CA5F0B88.jpeg

As you can see, the adjustment for drum diameter is different in that the arms pivot on the center piece that attaches to the Axis Vortex tripod. The pivots have nylon washers that provide enough friction to keep the basket securely fastened to the drum - this friction is adjustable to make up for wear etc. You literally twist the basket onto the drum by positioning the tips of the arms on the hoop and turning the center counter-clockwise. I find this much more convenient than the telescoping design of the Axis basket - which works pretty darned well too, IMO ..... Same flat shape and light weight.

I showed this gadget to Darrell a few years ago, kinda hoped they might "run with the ball". I mean, I can't hand make these things in any kind of cost-effective way, plus the fact that my baskets use their existing Vortex tripod base.

I've also talked with Axis about a lightweight throne design; again, no progress so far ..... there are liability issues here! I see from their website that the Covid 19 pandemic has shut them down completely. All the more reason to support this great American company once they are up and running again!

Mike

Reactions: REF

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm also a big fan of Axis hardware, pricey as it is. I have a lot of respect for Darrell and his company, and really use very few other hardware items except throne and some of the stuff I make for myself. One of those is a retrofit basket for the Axis snare stand; I've posted a pic of it before, but here it is again - two different prototypes of the four I've made:

View attachment 435717

View attachment 435718

As you can see, the adjustment for drum diameter is different in that the arms pivot on the center piece that attaches to the Axis Vortex tripod. The pivots have nylon washers that provide enough friction to keep the basket securely fastened to the drum - this friction is adjustable to make up for wear etc. You literally twist the basket onto the drum by positioning the tips of the arms on the hoop and turning the center counter-clockwise. I find this much more convenient than the telescoping design of the Axis basket - which works pretty darned well too, IMO ..... Same flat shape and light weight.

I showed this gadget to Darrell a few years ago, kinda hoped they might "run with the ball". I mean, I can't hand make these things in any kind of cost-effective way, plus the fact that my baskets use their existing Vortex tripod base.

I've also talked with Axis about a lightweight throne design; again, no progress so far ..... there are liability issues here! I see from their website that the Covid 19 pandemic has shut them down completely. All the more reason to support this great American company once they are up and running again!

Mike
Mike, very cool redesign of the Axis basket! The rotating center hub allowing the arms to adjust for diameter is equally clever to the telescoping arms of the Axis, but probably more user friendly and quick to set up.

If you have a pic of the contraption flipped over, I'd like to see what's in between the arms and the hoop of a drum. The lack of isolating material or design on the Axis at that point was why I threw a Gauger flex frame in the basket, and it worked admirably.

The only other question I have is about the length of the handle on the lever. It looks too long in the pics, although I realize it could be a spring-loaded release that allows repositioning the handle after tightening (like on dw cymbal stands). The first thought that came to mind was to replace the handle with a socket hole for an L wrench. Then, the handle can never touch the drum.

If I'd seen this design from Axis or anyone else, I probably would've bought it like I bought the Axis, maybe even favoring this one.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score

I'll tell you what, though. I got a full set of DW flat based snare stands and use those for 6-13" toms on my plywood set and they work really well. I just had to modify some of the arms for the smaller toms. Plus remove all the legs. They have universal tilt which is great. Using old Ludwig or Slingerland baskets is okay but, on the Ludwig's the drop in tilt with the gear teeth isn't user friendly. You get what you get for tilt. Slingerland has very tiny teeth on the tilting gear which is much better. It's getting hard and harder to find those stands in good condition though and "vintage" pricing makes it more sensible to just use DW's.
Got any pics of what you made? I can sort of picture it, but seeing it would explain better I think.

Drummers are innovators when they can't find what they want, that's for sure.

Latest posts