New Hardware Ideas

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mike, very cool redesign of the Axis basket! The rotating center hub allowing the arms to adjust for diameter is equally clever to the telescoping arms of the Axis, but probably more user friendly and quick to set up.

If you have a pic of the contraption flipped over, I'd like to see what's in between the arms and the hoop of a drum. The lack of isolating material or design on the Axis at that point was why I threw a Gauger flex frame in the basket, and it worked admirably.

The only other question I have is about the length of the handle on the lever. It looks too long in the pics, although I realize it could be a spring-loaded release that allows repositioning the handle after tightening (like on dw cymbal stands). The first thought that came to mind was to replace the handle with a socket hole for an L wrench. Then, the handle can never touch the drum.

If I'd seen this design from Axis or anyone else, I probably would've bought it like I bought the Axis, maybe even favoring this one.

Hello Cauldronics -

Thanks for the comments! I do not have a pic of "the contraption" from topside readily to hand, but I will tell you that isolation at those three small contact points was not a consideration. The hoop sits on thin ribbed neoprene pieces cut out of sheet purchased at the local hardware store, mainly to avoid metal-on-metal contact. The arms have short vertical stanchions which are basically crutch tip rubbers with an aluminum rod in the center - again, isolation not a priority for me. I use these baskets on snare drums; not much of a fan of basket-mounted toms, because I'm a top-of-bass-drum-mount Luddite ..... sorry! I just made these baskets because I thought the adjustment on the stock Axis basket was pretty fiddly ...... and I agree that the use of Delrin (a hard plastic) for the uprights just made getting a good fit even more difficult. I also just let my snare "sit" in the basket; I don't always leave in on the drum the way the Axis design intended. And I balked at the idea of buying multiple Axis baskets for every one of my snares ....... I have a few ...... !!

As for the "lever" and its handle: this is indeed a "Kipp" handle, common in the machinist world, with a spring-loaded re-positioning lever. DW used this design very successfully, in my view ..... and probably incurred quite an increase in cost of manufacturing to do so. But in my device, all this lever does is lock the center of the basket to the top of the Axis Vortex snare stand base. It is true that the length of the lever would allow it to contact the bottom head, but it only has to rotate through 90 degrees or so once it is set up to lock the basket in place.

Probably not for everyone ...... just like all of my "innovations"!

M.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are times when I wish two things. First, that I'd learned to be a mechanic and fix my own cars. Second, that I'd learned to be a machinist.

It's very useful being able to take your ideas from concept to reality. Cheers, Mike

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I like what you've done with those. You're definitely on the right track, and I'll be watching to see if you come up with a light weight rotating spur option. BTW, do you have an option for buying ultralite spurs without the brackets? I ask this because lots of us already have your brackets on our bass drums.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got any pics of what you made? I can sort of picture it, but seeing it would explain better I think.

Drummers are innovators when they can't find what they want, that's for sure.
This is using the Axis for 8-13" toms, and you can also see just a hint of the old Ludwig's used as well. You can't see them all. I use those for an 8 and some 6" toms. I also have my "floor toms" in baskets as well, 14 - 20." Pearl's on those and an old, modified Premier for the 20." I play "half-toms" so, no depth problems setting up on stands.

Leather set front.jpg

This pic shows the DW's for 8-12." I currently have things set up for what I will potentially have to use at the KIT festival; backline stuff, hence the Pearl 18x22 kick in the picture. Just trying to get used to the feel of a deep bd.

tom baskets.jpg

The DW pitch on the arm clamps is a little less than 90 degrees so, you can see use of felt washers or leg tips to keep the far side of the drums from rising up. I need to just bend them to a 90 but, haven't done that yet. Or, just need to buy more leg tips.

Obviously both pics show rack set-ups with rack clamps. Also I use pipes and other clamps to hold the baskets in positions I want, depending on the drum set.

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
I like what you've done with those. You're definitely on the right track, and I'll be watching to see if you come up with a light weight rotating spur option. BTW, do you have an option for buying ultralite spurs without the brackets? I ask this because lots of us already have your brackets on our bass drums.
Thanks for the feedback! We can certainly sell spurs without brackets- just send me a message and I can quote!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is using the Axis for 8-13" toms, and you can also see just a hint of the old Ludwig's used as well. You can't see them all. I use those for an 8 and some 6" toms. I also have my "floor toms" in baskets as well, 14 - 20." Pearl's on those and an old, modified Premier for the 20." I play "half-toms" so, no depth problems setting up on stands.

View attachment 435972

This pic shows the DW's for 8-12." I currently have things set up for what I will potentially have to use at the KIT festival; backline stuff, hence the Pearl 18x22 kick in the picture. Just trying to get used to the feel of a deep bd.

View attachment 435974

The DW pitch on the arm clamps is a little less than 90 degrees so, you can see use of felt washers or leg tips to keep the far side of the drums from rising up. I need to just bend them to a 90 but, haven't done that yet. Or, just need to buy more leg tips.

Obviously both pics show rack set-ups with rack clamps. Also I use pipes and other clamps to hold the baskets in positions I want, depending on the drum set.
I've never seen a drum set quite like that. From the shallow toms to the way they're mounted, to the wood hoops on everything, you have something unique (to me at least).

That gives me a clearer idea of what you made and it's a clever idea. Now I'm more interested in hearing what that kit sounds like!

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a drum set quite like that. From the shallow toms to the way they're mounted, to the wood hoops on everything, you have something unique (to me at least).

That gives me a clearer idea of what you made and it's a clever idea. Now I'm more interested in hearing what that kit sounds like!
youtube.com/refondrums/videos. Different things posted there of all the stuff I mess around with.

Tom Holder

Reaction score

They are making something like you suggest and I own one and love it , the drummer’s pallet
I immediately went to Amazon to buy a "Drummer's Pallet". Alas, no longer available. I will search elsewhere. This is a great idea and I must have one! I use one of those Vic Firth tubular things, but this is a better design. Quicker accessibility.

Tom Holder

Reaction score
I do not play super loud or aggressively and I like to travel light and keep my "footprint" to a minimum. I try my best to keep my set-up within the confines of my 4 x 6 foot drum rug. My favorite hardware is the old Ludwig 1400-series stands. The 1124 hi-hat is so smooth and light, doesn't creep, just the best hi-hat ever. I wish Ludwig would re-create this stuff, just as it was in the 60's and '70's, except in STAINLESS STEEL. The chrome plating on that old Ludwig gear is terrible and flakes off in a couple of years, leaving an ugly, rusty mess. Nobody makes stainless drum hardware. Too bad. I know it's expensive, but you'd only have to buy it once. That's probably why they don't do it. It's all about the bottom line, right?

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know it's expensive, but you'd only have to buy it once. That's probably why they don't do it. It's all about the bottom line, right?
Manufacturers simply make what in their estimation people want to buy.

Bobskifiat

Reaction score
I do not play super loud or aggressively and I like to travel light and keep my "footprint" to a minimum. I try my best to keep my set-up within the confines of my 4 x 6 foot drum rug. My favorite hardware is the old Ludwig 1400-series stands. The 1124 hi-hat is so smooth and light, doesn't creep, just the best hi-hat ever. I wish Ludwig would re-create this stuff, just as it was in the 60's and '70's, except in STAINLESS STEEL. The chrome plating on that old Ludwig gear is terrible and flakes off in a couple of years, leaving an ugly, rusty mess. Nobody makes stainless drum hardware. Too bad. I know it's expensive, but you'd only have to buy it once. That's probably why they don't do it. It's all about the bottom line, right?
Hi, stainless is heavier than mild steel, so that may not fit well with travelling light. But I'm with you on the idea, my kit bag is far too heavy!

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I should patten this before suggesting it but...a brush tray. It would easily snap onto the top of your floor tom rods like your drum key, or the rods (three of them) could be removed and slipped through holes in the perimeter of the tray. The tray would be able to fold down inconspicuously against the drum shell tight enough to fit in your tom case. The top of the tray would be grooved to prevent a stick or brush from rolling off. It would only need to be large enough to accommodate one pair of brushes.

I know it's traditional to use the top of the bass drum for this or the floor tom itself, but this would be another place that's very close by. After the gig it quickly folds down against any tom shell and slides into the case you already have still attached to the drum. Made out of a strong plastic ($50) or light weight aluminum ($100) Thoughts?
I’ve been using a plastic ‘traps table’ that attaches to an L-arm, that supported by a DW hoop mounted cowbell holder. Works great for brushes, sticks, iPhone/metronome.

roguefate

Reaction score
What I'd really like to see is an update/modification to the now discontinued Gibraltar Ultra-Adjust hi-hat stand (although I'm sure this could work on any remote HH).
I think that they had a great idea right out of the gate with the adjustability part on the stand... Talk about reducing possible RSI issues or giving a leg up to the open-handed player... this hi-hat certainly addresses those customers. I think the issue that plagued this stand was around the cable feel and cable durability. They did a redesign on this at some point which I think helped address the durability issue but not so much on the feel.

So, what I'd like to see is some hybrid of a rod pull on the primary stand that connects or terminates in the cable portion... some kind of beefy clamp to transition from rod to cable. This rod "redesign" eliminates the broken cable issue from or through the primary stand and puts it to another area that might be more serviceable for the average Joe, and I would think the rod would help improve or eliminate the laggy feeling of the cable. Additionally, maybe it could have a couple of small pulleys to improve the feel on the cable side?

View attachment 434897

An alternative would be to replace the cable with a solid linkage and universal joints at the connection points. Basically, adapt a double-pedal link. Those hold up well and the concept is proven. There would probably be a trade-off in the level of adjustment versus a cable though. However, as a design engineer I always favor durability to counter Murphy's Law. ;)

On a similar note, I have wanted to try one of these Gibraltar HH stands for a while now. I am a metal guy and play a big kit (rack mounted). I value every bit of flexibility that I can have in terms of positioning gear. This piece of hardware would be fun to play around with. It's been a while since I have seen one for sale though.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
An alternative would be to replace the cable with a solid linkage and universal joints at the connection points. Basically, adapt a double-pedal link.
Nice! Taking the z-shaped hh stand idea further. I think there'd have to be a cam or lever at each angle to enable transmission of the force at 90° or larger, turning pull into torque and vice versa. In between those, at the more or less horizontal part, you could indeed use the double pedal mechanics to make the angles adjustable.

Reactions: Hop

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
An alternative would be to replace the cable with a solid linkage and universal joints at the connection points. Basically, adapt a double-pedal link. Those hold up well and the concept is proven. There would probably be a trade-off in the level of adjustment versus a cable though. However, as a design engineer I always favor durability to counter Murphy's Law. ;)

On a similar note, I have wanted to try one of these Gibraltar HH stands for a while now. I am a metal guy and play a big kit (rack mounted). I value every bit of flexibility that I can have in terms of positioning gear. This piece of hardware would be fun to play around with. It's been a while since I have seen one for sale though.
I play a pair of 26" bass drum and could use a legless version. I bought one of those stands with legs a few years a go for my e-Kit... but I haven't touched the since.

I think a linkage system would be able to handle some adjustability (certainly in the length) but what is throwing me is how the angle and more importantly the HH open/close activation would work.
(Like Seb77 pointed out)... Do you see it like a lever or would it need to rotate?

rmartin

Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot lately about hardware I wish somebody would make. There are a couple of things I would love to see somebody build and make available, and I assume that some of you may also have that certain piece of hardware you'd love if you could get it. Well, I figured it might be a fun thread, and who knows? Maybe a manufacturer is watching and taking notes. What are your ideas? Here's one of mine:

I'd like to see a shell-mounted (not hoop), modern (not gull wing) bass drum spur that can be mounted without drilling more holes in the shell. It would be low mass and light weight. I'm speaking of a style similar to the ones pictured here, but that can use existing holes and are much thinner and lighter. For those wishing to replace retractable spurs, an optional mounting plate that reaches those wider spaced holes could also be made available.

View attachment 434829
how about have them connect to the lugs like a hanging tom but on a larger scale so you wouldn't have to drill into the bass at all

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
youtube.com/refondrums/videos. Different things posted there of all the stuff I mess around with.
The Leather Drum Set video reminded me of Bozzio playing melodic arrangements on toms. They sound like a cross between concert toms and normal two-headed toms, with a nice roar to them. They have a roto tom sound at the same time. Nice creative playing!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I'd like to see a floor tom bracket with an extra slot so the F.tom legs can be used as BD spurs, if the floor tom is ever flipped on its side and used as a small bass drum.
Think BD spur brackets as seen on really inexpensive drum kits...

DSCN2721.JPG

...alternate version....same thing, but built like adjustable BD legs that can be rotated into whatever position you need to have them in.

1587014441164.png