New Hardware Ideas

Browny

Reaction score
1) Once again, I'd love to see a light-weight tom rail mount fixture with the simplicity of the old W&A rail mount and the set-and-forget ruggedness of the DW rail mount. Something made from aluminum rather than tractor-sized cast steel. And with a lug-replacement mounting fixture like the Ludwig Atlas mounts so that no drilling would be required. So the four paramount issues: light weight, drill-less attachment, reliable adjustability, and compact dimensions.

2) A version of the original Yamaha YESS mounts incorporating L-rod receivers instead of the Yamaha hex rod. (I absolutely love the original YESS mounts because of their simplicity, reliability, and function. When installed on a tom's Nodal Point, I'm convinced that the Yamaha mounts work just as well as all other isolation mounting systems. And their simplified appearance looks right. But we need a universal version that will accept the now-standard L-rod mounts.)

3) Is it economically feasible to design, construct, and sell heavy-duty but lightweight hardware? I don't think there is any doubt that it could be done, but can it be done for approximately the same price as regular hardware? (This is primarily concerned with stands, thrones and the like, but maybe we should add in drum lugs, hoops, and suspension mounts.)

I don't know. But how nice would it be to have heavy-duty hardware - something along the line of Yamaha's 600/700 series - that is made from aluminum or some other material? Yamaha's CrossTown series of hardware delivers on the lightweight requirement, but . . . well . . . it's just not attractive to most of us. In a sea of beautiful chrome, the matte aluminum finish of the CrossTown hardware stands as a stark contrast.

So, I'm back to my original question: can the terms chrome, lightweight, heavy-duty, and reasonably-priced live together in harmony? The last characteristic continues to elude us.

GeeDeeEmm
Pick any two: light, strong, cheap.

Somewhere in the middle is often a suitable solution. I really like Pearl's 150 series flat based cymbal stands. They're heavier than the Tama Classic & DW 6000 stands but lighter than double braced stuff, seemed fairly similar to the Ludwig Atlas flats. The Pearls are also more stable than the DW & Tama, similar to the Ludwig, not as rock solid like the double braced stuff. They were about the same price as the Tama and about maybe 2/3 of the cost of the DW & Ludwig but not as cheap as some double braced stuff available. Not 'best in class' for any category but pretty high across the board.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Regarding the offset hi-hat stand
(Like Seb77 pointed out)... Do you see it like a lever or would it need to rotate?
Definitely a rotating shaft like on a double bass drum pedal, with levers like with a "direct link" double pedal, or with standard cams (there's a Pearl hh stand using a cam).

Reactions: Hop

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why does a bass drum need spurs at all? I've been wondering this since I bought a Dixson bass drum riser and realized that one end of the bass drum could be held up by that thing. What if you made a similar thing for the front of the bass drum but with a longer base-- same principle as ironing board legs? You put the Dixson piece on the batter side in front of the hoop and the front piece behind the hoop of the resonant head. It would work something like the Danmar Conversion kit but be attached by velcro to the drum rug.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why does a bass drum need spurs at all?
I guess this originated with other instruments being mounted to the bass drum, notably off-center. With toms/cymbal etc. on their own stands, you still need a certain right/left stability.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess this originated with other instruments being mounted to the bass drum, notably off-center. With toms/cymbal etc. on their own stands, you still need a certain right/left stability.
Oh, for sure. I just wonder if there are other ways of stabilizing a bass drum that don't require spurs. I suspect it could be done, but I ain't no scientist.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd like to see a drum throne where the center post is a solid piece of metal instead of hollow. I happen to be a bigger guy and even a heavy duty throne that I bought snapped at the seat due to the center post being hollow. The last throne I bought I got a wooden dowel and ran it down the center post from the top to the floor and so far no problems. But I still think a solid post instead of hollow could help solve the issue with the throne breaking at that weak point.
Get a Roc N Soc - those things are solid! I have a red one I gig with (see link below). I also have a Gibraltar tractor seat at my home music room - for 20+ years now and other than a few tears in the pleather, will also last a lifetime...

Browny

Reaction score
Why does a bass drum need spurs at all? I've been wondering this since I bought a Dixson bass drum riser and realized that one end of the bass drum could be held up by that thing. What if you made a similar thing for the front of the bass drum but with a longer base-- same principle as ironing board legs? You put the Dixson piece on the batter side in front of the hoop and the front piece behind the hoop of the resonant head. It would work something like the Danmar Conversion kit but be attached by velcro to the drum rug.
Ever played an old bass drum with the tiny clip on spurs that don’t really do anything? Or tried to play a drum without spurs at all?
Sounds like your Velcro drum rug idea would be more complex and less stable than just having spurs, not to mention your specific drum rug is now a required part of the kit... you can’t play that kick without setting up the rug beforehand.
Spurs are fine: they’re simple, relatively light, and they work.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh, for sure. I just wonder if there are other ways of stabilizing a bass drum that don't require spurs. I suspect it could be done, but I ain't no scientist.
Take a look at the various cradle-type risers. With a low one that grips the t-rods , you 'd have the most stable foundation without spurs. Yu can use them for all kinds of drums in these; I once put a Brazilian Maracatu bass drum in one, worked great, no spurs needed.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I immediately went to Amazon to buy a "Drummer's Pallet". Alas, no longer available. I will search elsewhere. This is a great idea and I must have one! I use one of those Vic Firth tubular things, but this is a better design. Quicker accessibility.
I initially bought mine through EBay - try there as well .

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Leather Drum Set video reminded me of Bozzio playing melodic arrangements on toms. They sound like a cross between concert toms and normal two-headed toms, with a nice roar to them. They have a roto tom sound at the same time. Nice creative playing!
Thank you for the kind words. Using a ZOOM camera works fine but, there are elements of frequencies not captured perfectly, obviously but, the camera mics do a decent job. One of things I want to change are the reso heads. I have Evans 7 mil resos on them. I want to get some 10 mil and get a little more volume and character to the sound. I saw a video of Bob Gatzen introducing a new (then) reso head from Evans. Quite a tonal difference. I need to get a set.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Sounds like you want an adapter plate to go from one spur bolt pattern to another. Granted there are a finite amount of manufactured patterns, there's still not much of a demand for this. I'd suggest finding some free CAD software, modeling and 3D printing the specific adapters you want. How you would go about it depends on the patterns and if any holes line up. In general, I'd say designing it so that you screw the adapter to the new spur, then run (machine) screws through the existing shell holes from the inside into captive nuts sandwiched between the adaptor and spur.

Isn't there a company that does that by mounting the spurs to full length lugs? If you want the spurs to be mounted without holes in the shell, or to the hoop, I can't think of a way to accomplish that. They have to be mounted to something attached to the drum.
Are you thinking of Mapex? I haven't checked in a couple years, but I think even they quit doing that when the corporate guys took over and booted all the enthusiasts and innovators.

kallen49

Reaction score
Needed an iPad holder attachable to a stand. Holders for sale in Canadian stores seem expensive but pretty cheaply built/flimsy considering the iPad is worth 100's of dollars. Most people I played live with in the past couple years use an iPad (or a tablet) for set lists/lyrics/charts. All set lists are emailed so...I built this.
Plywood base, (leftover from bathroom reno), front has unused Ikea vanity knobs with old socket & cymbal topper from electric kit to keep iPad in place, used rubber gaskets from plumbing parts box,
back uses a car battery clamp attached to a ratchet that I cut down which fits nicely into an unused Sonor stand from my parts bin.
Is very solid cost zero except time which I have a lot to spare these days. Maybe I will replace plywood with a nice piece of walnut that my neighbour gave me.
As Benny Greb mentioned in his clinic a few years ago "use what you have"...

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts