New Hardware

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Been exploring new hardware lately. Recently purchased a DW Ultralight snare stand and am impressed. From a strictly value perspective the Tama Classic snare stand is a better deal, but I also love the DW stand (just not the additional $40 pricetag ... but that's just me.) Here are a few more purchases (recent and future) starting with the future one:

I have firmly committed to @Drum Gear Review to purchase his Speed Cobra 910 pedal when I am in his neck of the woods at the end of this month. Here is the link, and this is why the listing says "Pending". https://www.drumforum.org/threads/sale-pending-tama-speed-cobra-910-single-pedal.189649/

Next, arriving later this week is this pair of Pearl hardware that piqued my interest. I love lightweight stuff and I am sure I will not be disappointed:

As usual, I will write reviews on Amazon after they arrive and I have some quality time with them.

A side note about bass drum pedals: I am strictly heel down and do straight quarter notes 75% of the time - and feather those often. Just about any bass drum pedal suits my playing style. Hi hat stands are a little different. I am not pedantic about them, but am less forgiving of their performance than I am of bass drum pedals. I am borderline pedantic about snare drum stands: they need to be light, compact and capable of a wide range of height adjustments. The Tama Classic and DW Ultralight are examples of what I consider superb. At the opposite end of the spectrum is this POS (I won't spell out the initials):

The older flush base DW snare stand is not far behind that POS one.

Pibroch

Reaction score

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the Tama Classic stuff, right down to the pedal and the hat stand. Simple, functional, and classic. Excellent value for the money too. DW makes nice hardware, but they’re not shy about pricing (some might even say OVERpricing).

The tom stand is perfect for rack tom duty, it’s got the traditional “old-school” snare basket but it’s range is taller than a regular snare stand. The cymbal stands and snare stand(s) work great and fold down ridiculously small. The hat stand has great action, and unlike most the height is adjustable WITHOUT changing the pedal angle or travel. That’s a big deal. I prefer a nice, simple, vintage style pedal over a built-like-a-tank infinitely adjustable machine type pedal, and the Classic is just a new version of the old one-sided, upside-down-spring pedals. Perfect.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I really like the Tama Classic stuff, right down to the pedal and the hat stand. Simple, functional, and classic. Excellent value for the money too. DW makes nice hardware, but they’re not shy about pricing (some might even say OVERpricing).

The tom stand is perfect for rack tom duty, it’s got the traditional “old-school” snare basket but it’s range is taller than a regular snare stand. The cymbal stands and snare stand(s) work great and fold down ridiculously small. The hat stand has great action, and unlike most the height is adjustable WITHOUT changing the pedal angle or travel. That’s a big deal. I prefer a nice, simple, vintage style pedal over a built-like-a-tank infinitely adjustable machine type pedal, and the Classic is just a new version of the old one-sided, upside-down-spring pedals. Perfect.
Totally agree with your every word.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the Tama Classic series stands for the majority of my gigs , except outdoor gigs . Flat Base stands have a tendency to tip over in moderate wind , so I bring out the Yamaha Crosstown hardware for those gigs .

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use all dw 9000 hardware and while it is pricey it’s rock solid, heavy duty, and just looks gorgeous imo.

Quai34

Reaction score
I have all heavy 80's/90's nuit end Tama, one as a counter weight, big but kind of Galt, I don't know the model but it handles 6 cymbals with not moving a mm. Second stand is straight one, super heavy too. They are still smooth and start in place, two new ones are the Gibraltar 9000 series, special arm with a swivel ball, I out 8 cymbals in this one with extension, same thing, not moving. So, weight to travel was not a concern for me, I wanted a super sturdy equipment because I knew I was going to "load" them quite a lot but if I would have to buy a new all set, it would be either the Yamaha 9000 series of the Tama Star series.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to make a switch to primary Yamaha Crosstown. Realizing it won’t cover every mounting scenario I’ll have to integrate some additional stands in. A few years ago I got a bunch of Mapex double braced stuff from a local guy whose wife was screwing him over in a divorce and he needed cash. Anyway, I have way more hardware than I need plus I really don’t require the heavy duty stuff. Going to shed all of it that I can.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
The bass drum pedal and hi-hat stand arrived today. I LOVE the pedal. Let me add some context to that statement: I can use just about any bass drum pedal and be happy, so my loving the one that just arrived should be taken with a grain of salt. But ... I love the feel out of the box, and the portability. I cannot say much about the hi-hat stand. It came broken and is on the way back to Amazon. It will probably pass the replacement that they are sending me in transit. I will say that it's heavier than my Tama Classic and close to my older DW Flush (pre-Ultralight) hi-hat stand. Alas, it was broken in such a manner that I could not test the feel, so my take on it is deferred for another time. I will post links to my Amazon reviews here after I have sufficient quality time with both and have enough info to write objective and relevant reviews of how they work in actual playing situations.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Finally spent some time with the Tama Speed Cobra 910 that I purchased from @Drum Gear Review (AJ). The pedal is overkill for my needs, but, hey, that's better than falling short. It's an incredible pedal and a keeper. And even at street price for a new one it's an incredible bargain in my opinion. Plus it totally supports my playing style. Here is a review that I posted of it: