New hats coming my way. Paiste 17" Rude Energy!

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on a couple of crashes for a new dark country/grunge project (think Neil Young's ditch trilogy era). I went with the 17" Dark Energy Crash on top and 17" Rude Crash/Ride on bottom. It's like a more aggressive Steve Jordan set up. The Rude Crash/Ride cymbals kick ass as bottom hats. They're the perfect weight. I have to believe that Paiste keeps the 16" Crash/Ride around for this exact purpose. Is anyone crash/riding on a 16?

I haven't seen this particular combo in the wild, but there is a lot of people messing with DE's, Traditionals, and Rudes. Nearly every possible combo can be seen getting used. Mostly Rudes and DE's on bottom and DE's and Trads on top.

I have seen these combos:
17" Signature Traditional Thin top / Dark Energy bottom (Steve Jordan)
16 Dark Energy top / Rude Crash/Ride bottom (had and loved this combo so much)
16 Signature Traditional top / Rude Crash/Ride bottom (Lee Wall- early)
16 Dark Energy top / Rude Thin bottom (Lee Wall- live)
16 Signature Traditional top / Rude Thin bottom (Lee Wall- studio)
Never seen these:
16" Signature Traditional Thin top / Dark Energy bottom (why not? the 17's are legendary)
16" Rude Thin top / Rude Crash/Ride (both of these are great weights for the application. someone try this!)

I typed all of that up and it was completely unnecessary. Don't waste your time reading it. You get it. Anyway, I'll post pictures and sound files when I can if anyone is interested in hearing these.

Last edited:

Phantomlimb777

Reaction score
I used a trad thin 16” on top of a 3000 power crash 16” for like three years straight, didn’t play any other hats.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used that very combo for a few years, until Paiste reintroduced the 17” Trad Thin Crash (2016?). At that point I put together the Jordan setup. Great sound with the DE/Rude combo. You’ll love it!

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A buddy of mine was running an 18” Twenty Custom thin crash (prototype I believe) over an 18” RUDE crash/ride for quite some time while he was living/recording/touring out of Nashville. Must have been 12-13 years ago, he’s the guy I blame for getting me hooked on 15”-16” hats. I still have the 16” Twenty medium light hats he sold to me after he started using the 18” pairing, and I tracked down a pair of 15” DE hats because I fell in love with a pair he had.

michiganice91

Reaction score
I almost never play giant hats, but I recently cobbled together this crazy combo I think actually sounds damn good. Curious to hear how your experimenting goes nick!