New heads or muffle/dampen?

krisdrum

Reaction score
Sat down today at the kit after a LONG time away. Want to play more but the drums are LOUD in my basement. Kicking myself a bit for selling my Spacemuffins. Anyway, think I need to go 2 ply on batters or get some muffles or dampeners to tame the volume. I’m also obviously working on not hitting so hard.

Current set up is designed to project a nice big open tone: coated G1 over clear on toms. Kick is EQ4 batter G1 reso no holes no other muffling.

If I go 2 ply thinking Emperors or Reso-tone 2. I don’t want pinstripes or anything that extreme.

If I go mufflers, the drums need to FEEL as close to wide open as possible. I like that feedback. Was looking at the Big Fat Snare offerings for toms and snare and maybe just a towel or something to reign the bass in a bit.

Thoughts/suggestions? What do you think would be the better solution to make the volume more manageable?

krisdrum

Reaction score
Work on your touch and wear ear protection.
Working on the touch part. That is going to be a work in progress. I’ve never been a soft player. My lower level has mostly been medium-ish. And it is less about my ears (I have protection) but the rest of the house. Not worried about my neighbors, don’t think they are close enough for it to matter.

bconrad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you can afford them, try some UV1s on your Toms. They are slightly less resonant than The G1s but have a nice tone.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you want to be able to adjust the tone - beyond what you can do with tuning - and want to be able to have no more and no less than the exact amount of muffling you desire, then you need two thing...

1. a roll of gaffers tape - not duct tape, not masking tape, painter's tape or duck tape (actually a thing) - but really gaffer's tape. $10-$15 on Amazon
2. a box of Kleenex - though if you are going minimal - this likely won't be needed.

That's it - you don't need new heads or different heads. Your G1's pretty near perfect IMO as they give the biggest sound the drum can make. Meaning you can then - judiciously - use muffling to surgically effect the parts of the sound you wish to diminish.

This can be extremely dramatic or extremely subtle. At different times - for different effects or needs - I'll fold up a tissue into a smallish square/rectangle and then hold it down with a piece of gaff just big enough to accomplish that. Bigger or smaller depending on my need. Right near the edge or further in - again, depending on my needs or the effect desired. On the other hand, sometimes I'll just make a small loop of gaffer - looped sticky side out about the diameter of my finger - and then place that loop crosswise on the rim - so that only about a 1/2" x 1/2" section of tape is touching the head right near the rim. Which might be just the right amount to tone down a bit of ring without killing it - just taking off a smidge.

For your practice situation - you'll probably want to lay it on more to the heavy side - but who knows? Other than you - from playing with it - adjusting it - and tweaking it.

And regardless of what head you use - tweaking the sound beyond tuning can only be accomplished with muffling - be it a lot or just the teeniest bit.

A roll of gaff... way cheaper than different heads... and IMO the best $15 you'll ever spend on your drum sound... or better... sounds..

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If part of your project is to play softer, I wouldn't move to 2-ply heads. They just don't sound very good at lower volume.
I've seen some videos of drums with mesh heads with a center dot added for a bit more sound. There won't be a lot of rebound I think, but the sound might be what you're looking for for practice.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Working on the touch part. That is going to be a work in progress. I’ve never been a soft player. My lower level has mostly been medium-ish. And it is less about my ears (I have protection) but the rest of the house. Not worried about my neighbors, don’t think they are close enough for it to matter.
- I hear you on the WIP thing. That said, when I do the work, there's usually progress. I have found that if I go through the Rudimental Ritual with brushes, or with sticks on a pillow, it really helps my dynamic control.

krisdrum

Reaction score
Thanks all. This is what happens when you step away for too long and then want to come back firing on all cylinders, oh and hey, you are in a different room, different acoustics, etc. Playing for 20-30 minutes yesterday was a great outlet. Now I need to dedicate the time daily. The touch will come and I'm sure I can learn to play consistently at more reasonable volumes. Was looking for a quick fix. To most of your points, that might not be the best approach.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well you could go the Ringo route......tea towels on everything....or get a yoga mat and cut out pieces the sizes of the drums....
Or get a set of silent stroke heads. I have one on a snare for when I'm plompin' along while watching tv. They feel a little weird but are ok.
Or get a set of Diplomats and learn not to dent them.
bt

krisdrum

Reaction score
Some creative ideas. I was an apartment dweller for most of my life, so am pretty familiar with the foam pad/mesh head thing and frankly, hated both. One of the primary reasons I picked up a set of Spacemuffins back in the day. Sure, they are acoustically louder than mesh, but not as loud as an empty drum with a foam pad on top and they FEEL like a real drum. Again, kicking myself right now for selling them.

Interesting idea to go thinner on the top heads, but I can't see using them in any other circumstance... so not really a good investment.

Latest posts