New idea for marking stand positions on drum rug

The Fossil

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
home of Buffalo Bill's Original Wild West Show
I used to use black magic marker to outline the stand leg positions on my drum rugs, it worked fine, as long as you have carpet that the black marks are visible on. The only problem I discovered was, IT'S PERMANENT. If I wanted to change the position of anything. I had to remark in a different color (got to confusing after a while) or buy a NEW piece of indoor / outdoor carpet and start over.

Well, I just hit upon a new idea that is less messy than permanent marker AND is easily changeable if the need arises. Purchased this at our local home improvement center (Menards). Velcro 3/4" wide "One Wrap" cut to length bonding strap. This 12 ft. roll was more than enough for a 4 piece kit & 3 cymbal stands. It's 2 sided (looped on one side and fuzzy on the other) and sticks to itself. The looped side sticks great to carpet and you can write on the fuzzy side with a sharpie. Easily removed and repositioned. Just cut pieces to outline each leg tip like you would with a marker. They stay stuck even when you roll up the rug for transport.

Attachments

Ptrick

Reaction score
I use Velcro as well. Works great!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's an excellent idea! And I love how you've cut your rug (pun!) to the exact size of the kit. Looks pro!

GeeDeeEmm

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great idea! I will use it ....... just finished up teching for the Healdsburg Jazz Festival, had to "spike" Billy Hart's rather complicated (and exacting!) setup after soundcheck. I used day-glo pink tape ......

Ptrick

Reaction score
For the lazy ones of us:

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to mark my rug, but then I realized a one-up, two-down with three cymbal stands doesn't need to be exact.

Moonman

Reaction score
I used to use black magic marker to outline the stand leg positions on my drum rugs, it worked fine, as long as you have carpet that the black marks are visible on. The only problem I discovered was, IT'S PERMANENT. If I wanted to change the position of anything. I had to remark in a different color (got to confusing after a while) or buy a NEW piece of indoor / outdoor carpet and start over.

Well, I just hit upon a new idea that is less messy than permanent marker AND is easily changeable if the need arises. Purchased this at our local home improvement center (Menards). Velcro 3/4" wide "One Wrap" cut to length bonding strap. This 12 ft. roll was more than enough for a 4 piece kit & 3 cymbal stands. It's 2 sided (looped on one side and fuzzy on the other) and sticks to itself. The looped side sticks great to carpet and you can write on the fuzzy side with a sharpie. Easily removed and repositioned. Just cut pieces to outline each leg tip like you would with a marker. They stay stuck even when you roll up the rug for transport.
Looks great. What drum rug are you using? I'm looking to find a reasonably affordable one. Thanks -- don't want to hi-jack your thread!
Chris

The Fossil

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
home of Buffalo Bill's Original Wild West Show
Looks great. What drum rug are you using? I'm looking to find a reasonably affordable one. Thanks -- don't want to hi-jack your thread!
Chris
All of my "rugs" are actually that indoor / outdoor type material that you can find usually in Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Look for the ones that are 6 ft. x 8 ft. pre rolled. I've never had to pay more than $12.00 to $18.00 for one if you catch them on sale. The pre packaged ones are cheaper than having a piece cut from the big rolls in the flooring department. Usually several colors to choose from.

Latest posts