New Istanbul Agop Traditional Jazz (Memphis Drum Shop Demos)

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Hehe. Yep, saw they posted them earlier today. They sold fast. The 22" was/is also nice! Seems like the 20" crash/rides have a bit trashiness to them (like many do in the Traditional line). But, something extra/other.

michaeldangelo

Reaction score

I may or may not caught them right when they uploaded.

I may or may not have bought them.

I bought them.

I’m excited to get them this weekend. This is the series I had been wishing Agop would release for a while now.

Last edited:

f.stahlenius

Reaction score

I bought them.

I’m excited to get them this weekend. This is the series I had been wishing Agop would release for a while now.
Hehe, congrats! Let me know when you get them. Looking forward hearing your thoughts.

I've been hoping (and asking) for a 40th Anniversary but guess they'll hold onto that designation a while :)

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they release a pair of 15" hats in this series I'll be tempted to break my 54-year allegiance to Zildjian.

marc3k

Reaction score
Man the more you guys talk about those, I start to believe that I have now enough "weird" Agops and need something brighter :) However, the one demoed by Memphis Drum Shop seems to have quite a lot of wash - as pointed out by stahlenius...

peter

Reaction score
Finally! Some thoroughly and heavily hammered Agops - they should extend this to all of their lines.

Just wish the bells sizes and weights of the 20's were more proportionately scaled to the 22". Though Agop's not alone on that.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I bought them.

Nice. Make a demo! :)

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Man the more you guys talk about those, I start to believe that I have now enough "weird" Agops and need something brighter :) However, the one demoed by Memphis Drum Shop seems to have quite a lot of wash - as pointed out by stahlenius...
It's a clever move to let that wash (of history/nostalgia) wash away any doubt. I'm in the same situation: many odd ones, a few dogs, and just NEED that 2350-ish gram just-enough-normal, with something mysterious, that makes you think: I can handle that, it will age, just need a piece of tape, five rivets, a good old greasy thumbprint here and there... Or, if you urgently need something with more history and probably a bit less wash, and happen to live in the Netherlands, how about this (OG) 21" Agop Traditional Jazz at 2390g:

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/muziek...6ed2a557deff636f4f8b9c5b7a618&previousPage=lr

I have a 22" on the way that should be here by the end of the month. Looking forward fo it!

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys looking for some Agop with a bit more beef and clarity - I'm surprised I don't hear more love for the Sterling cymbals. I just discovered these fairly recently (and Aaron Sterling), I have that sound covered in spades with old As, but if I was starting fresh I would take a serious look at these. For my tastes backing a rock n roll band I just love that quality in a 22 around 2600-2700 grams. I have an old trans stamp that I play with everything in that vibe, and not claiming that the tone is the same, but I hear something in those 22" Sterlings that has that same quality. An explosiveness but clarity that is just perfect for moving over from the hats and laying into when the electric guitars really kick it in.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
You guys looking for some Agop with a bit more beef and clarity - I'm surprised I don't hear more love for the Sterling cymbals. I just discovered these fairly recently (and Aaron Sterling), I have that sound covered in spades with old As, but if I was starting fresh I would take a serious look at these. For my tastes backing a rock n roll band I just love that quality in a 22 around 2600-2700 grams. I have an old trans stamp that I play with everything in that vibe, and not claiming that the tone is the same, but I hear something in those 22" Sterlings that has that same quality. An explosiveness but clarity that is just perfect for moving over from the hats and laying into when the electric guitars really kick it in.
I ageee. The Sterlings are nice - and affordable. And that Trans Stamp must be a keeper.

I really like the more medium-thin to medium Agop rides. Had a 22” Sterling that I got together with a 22” Mantra (last year was the year I made it through/having owned/played at leaat at one gig or rehearsal almost all 22” rides Agop offer/offered in the 2350-3200g range). I liked it, kind of, but felt it was “too little Agop” (and too much normal, perhaps even like a distant cousin to a certain era Paiste/Avedis) - shimmer, yes, decent bell, amazing crash, warmth... Haha, kind of miss it come to think about it. Sold the Mantra a couple of weeks later. But I have a feeling I will get both a try again down the road. 10 years from now... a lovely and well played/patinated Sterling/Mantra with 2-3 rivets...

Reactions: owr

marc3k

Reaction score

nchia

Reaction score
Looking forward to more videos and reviews, but personally I don't find these all that exciting as sonically I can't really distinguish them from any of Agop's other Traditional offerings (except maybe the Trad mediums). Does anyone know if these are just rebranded Trad Jazz or a new cymbal all together? The hammering looks a bit different.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Looking forward to more videos and reviews, but personally I don't find these all that exciting as sonically I can't really distinguish them from any of Agop's other Traditional offerings (except maybe the Trad mediums). Does anyone know if these are just rebranded Trad Jazz or a new cymbal all together? The hammering looks a bit different.
Not sure about differences. More like a mix, I guess. Trad. Dark and Trad. Jazz. Perhaps different/flatter profile and bell.

Attachments

Last edited:

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
As I'm (not) patiently waiting for the FedEx truck to arrive with the new cymbals:

I think these are quite different from the previous Traditional Jazz cymbals. There is more hammering on the bells and they look a bit smaller. I've heard them being described as somewhere between the 30th and the Mel Lewis cymbals. They also don't have the artificial patination that a lot of other cymbal lines are doing. I feel that kind of process stifles the natural aging of the cymbal, and these cymbals without patination will only mellow out and get better with age. I think there is so much desire for a new cymbal to sound like "one that's been played for 60 years" that it's easy to forget at one time those cymbals were new and sounded quite different.

I happen to like the weight difference between the 20 and 22. I use my left side 20 almost more like a crash ride and the mid-1700g weight strikes that balance. But the 22 isn't too thin, around mid 2300g. I also like how the hats are quick a bit heavier than something like the 30th Anniversary hats, which sit more in the 700g/800g range. These are 900g/1100g which makes them much more verstaile.

I'll record a quick demo of these a bit later. (I also have a Valentine's Day gig which I'm excited to bring them on as well.)

That is, if FedEx comes in time!

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
OK, so they were delivered about an hour ago and I can't stop playing them!

These are great cymbals – very musical, complex, warm. They're very similar to the 30ths, and the bells are actually a little bigger than I thought.

I have to get ready for a gig but I hope to post a proper YouTube demo of these in the next few days.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
OK, so they were delivered about an hour ago and I can't stop playing them!

These are great cymbals – very musical, complex, warm. They're very similar to the 30ths, and the bells are actually a little bigger than I thought.

I have to get ready for a gig but I hope to post a proper YouTube demo of these in the next few days.
Can’t wait to hear whatcha think!

I can definitely see a certain high air and trash in them, and the mix 30th/Mel/Trad. Dark seems fitting.

By the way, just stumbled over this a couple of days ago (if I were in the States, would probably consider buying), an older and a bit heavier (2760g) Trad. Jazz:

Different thing for sure! But there’s something fun happening when 22’s designed for 2350-2500g get between 2500-2750g - always dreamt of getting the 22” Mel or the 22” OM in the 2600-2750-ish area :) (the OM I’ve actually heard in this weight).

marc3k

Reaction score
By the way, just stumbled over this a couple of days ago (if I were in the States, would probably consider buying), an older and a bit heavier (2760g) Trad. Jazz:

Different thing for sure! But there’s something fun happening when 22’s designed for 2350-2500g get between 2500-2750g - always dreamt of getting the 22” Mel or the 22” OM in the 2600-2750-ish area :) (the OM I’ve actually heard in this weight).
Sounds great! That's an interesting point about the weight. When I first started becoming a "cymbalholic", I was always looking for lighter versions. (probably because my first "nice" ride was a 22 K dark medium at 2870g)
But now I start to understand that they probably need a certain weight...

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
I also think weight has to do with the player and their playing style.

For example, I’m quite a light player and I don’t use a ton of velocity in my stroke. Therefore, I gravitate towards thinner cymbals because they speak with a light touch. For me, a 20” any heavier than mid 1800’s just doesn’t speak the way I’d like it to.

But also, Craig Lauritsen has talked about how weight doesn’t tell the complete picture about a cymbal. If I’m remembering correctly, Paiste’s generally carry more weight in the bell, so their 22’s are around 2600g and up but certainly don’t play like them!

I think at the end of the day, it’s about how the cymbal sounds and feels for each particular player. We’re just lucky to have so many great options out there!

I’m still planning on filming a demo of my new Agop Traditional Jazz cymbals. I’ll post it here and in a new thread!

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I also think weight has to do with the player and their playing style.

For example, I’m quite a light player and I don’t use a ton of velocity in my stroke. Therefore, I gravitate towards thinner cymbals because they speak with a light touch. For me, a 20” any heavier than mid 1800’s just doesn’t speak the way I’d like it to.

But also, Craig Lauritsen has talked about how weight doesn’t tell the complete picture about a cymbal. If I’m remembering correctly, Paiste’s generally carry more weight in the bell, so their 22’s are around 2600g and up but certainly don’t play like them!

I think at the end of the day, it’s about how the cymbal sounds and feels for each particular player. We’re just lucky to have so many great options out there!

I’m still planning on filming a demo of my new Agop Traditional Jazz cymbals. I’ll post it here and in a new thread!
Curious how you feel about them :)

Will get a 22” on Monday. According to the store, “perhaps a bit too washy for your taste” but let’s see about that, haha.

Heard that these “don’t have training wheels” (got to adapt), and I like that. I do switch around my 22’s quite a bit (from a 2016g 30th up to a 2950g Turk and too many in between...), so I am used to having to change touch/sticks/playing height.