New Istanbul Agop Traditional Jazz (Memphis Drum Shop Demos)

Acidwash

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had these for a few weeks now, and can’t really get enough. They seemed quite loud and bright when I first got them (mostly had been playing Agop Sigs) but still cool. After fooling around a bit, I realized that they had a ton of head room, but also rewarded a very light touch. Which is funny that I did not pick up on that initially because I tend toward very light sticks/touch. Now that I am calibrated to them, there is a ton of great sounds here. The 20” in particular may be my favorite cymbal right now. Hats are really fun too.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Had these for a few weeks now, and can’t really get enough. They seemed quite loud and bright when I first got them (mostly had been playing Agop Sigs) but still cool. After fooling around a bit, I realized that they had a ton of head room, but also rewarded a very light touch. Which is funny that I did not pick up on that initially because I tend toward very light sticks/touch. Now that I am calibrated to them, there is a ton of great sounds here. The 20” in particular may be my favorite cymbal right now. Hats are really fun too.
Nice. Thx for sharing. Haha, guess the "jazz drummer secret" is out now ;-) Looking forward playing it.

It's interesting, though, releasing something that "don't have training wheels" (that's not an official statement, though). No news here, probably. Just made me think about it, as people seem a bit surprised by it - the need to adapt. Usually we get/buy stuff that feels and sounds good, are familiar, that doesn't require TOO much effort to play. A lot to ask from us, having to switch up sticks, touch, balance.

Made me think of how much the industry can direct/effect our playing (at a certain level, and at a certain "price point" and quality). Of course, in one way, inventing gear is always one step behind where music/drummers will push the boundaries of what's already there/their. But sounds and playing requirements of gear will also seek its way into our playing. Hand claps, anyone? Delicate touch?

Ah, just an observation. Or two :)

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Got my 22" yesterday. First impressions: beautiful, even, dancing highs/shimmer, larger/wider/higher bell than I thought, buttery without loosing stick definition, enormous crash, sold “without training wheels” so need to adapt a bit: playing angle, stick height, sticks - but, hey, play the room, play the cymbal! I’ll take that challenge.

Actually a bit surprised. A streamlined 30th kind of vibe. Not bad. But probably not something I would have picked up/out blindfolded in a music shop or cymbal vault. I rarely visit neither so all good here.

marc3k

Reaction score

zacompston

Reaction score
I played a 20" and 22" at the drum shop here in Columbus. Very nice cymbals. Compared them to a 20" 30th Anniversary, 21" Mel, and 22" OM.

The 20" really felt like a close relative to the 30th anniversary, with a bit more clarity.

The stick sound is nice and clear on both. Bell was balanced - pronounced but not too distinctly separate from the rest of the cymbal.

I had two issues:
1.) The crash had a bit of a slow and overwhelming spread for my tastes. I would've loved a slightly shorter crash that opens quickly and gets out of the way.
2.) The overall "knock" of the cymbal - the ability to really dig in with the tip of the stick (not crashing) wasn't great. It got a little gongy and the mid-range overtones really took over.

I had a suspicion that just a teeny bit more weight on the 22" would do the trick. Wonder why the 2400-2500g weight or even a tad heaver is not common for Agop?

tbird8450

Reaction score
I've been on the hunt for a dark ride to fit a certain tonal range and which offers just the right amount of wash. I stumbled onto the new 22" traditional jazzes and listened to a few that came really close to what I'm after. Then earlier today this one popped up on my feed, and yep, that's the one:

Can't wait to take it for a spin in a few days.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a complete set on order, hopefully a few more weeks. Can’t wait.
Enjoy your ride!