New Istanbul Agop Xist incoming

Nubs

Reaction score
Well being cooped up in this house has given me more time than I should have looking for new cymbals. After extensive research and numerous sound samples, I ultimately decided to snag this excellent ride:

And grabbed a pair of smooth sounding hats too:

Finally to add icing on the cake, I recently traded a good member on these forums for a virtually new Bosphorus Samba crash similar to this one:

I hope to get them all by the end of the week. Looking forward to it for sure!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coooool!
I love the Xist line.
Great stuff.
I wish they made an Xist Light line, too.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I too live the XIST stuff. Sound like 50’s A’s to me.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Coooool!
I love the Xist line.
Great stuff.
I wish they made an Xist Light line, too.
Oooh, yeah. That would be sweet.

I’ve also liked some of the Xist Dry Dark stuff I’ve heard. After I recoup some expenses from an imminent purchase and get rid of some other cymbals I’m not using, they’re one of the lines I’ve thought I might check out. Maybe a set of those gnarly-sounding 17” hats....

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using a 22” Power Crash for about a month as a left side ride and right side crash, and I love it. I don’t know why more people don’t play them

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Dry Darks are exceptional. I can find a place for them in any loadout. Been wanting to check out the "regular" Xist line since.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dry Darks are exceptional. I can find a place for them in any loadout. Been wanting to check out the "regular" Xist line since.
Did you have to sift through a few before you found keepers? Which models do you have?

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tested amongst a couple. I have 20" and 17" crashes as well as a set of 13" hats.

Nubs

Reaction score
Curse you FedEx and making me sign to get my cymbals!! They were supposed to arrive today, but since I wasn't there I'm hoping to get them tomorrow when I will be home.

Hate waiting!!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curse you FedEx and making me sign to get my cymbals!! They were supposed to arrive today, but since I wasn't there I'm hoping to get them tomorrow when I will be home.

Hate waiting!!
That will grind the ol gears.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For a second I was like, “A 16” crash in the ride position? Interesting....”

Nice setup you’ve got there!

Nubs

Reaction score
Thanks all.

Overall, the new cymbals are very nice. The hi-hats are very crisp and nimble and have a great chick sound. They open up very nicely too and have a slightly higher pitch because they're 13".

The ride has that soft, sticky/woody sound I was looking for. The bell is a solid ding sound and rings out nicely. However, I find the overall decay is a bit too long. It's a nice ride, but I'm not in love with it and I'm not sure I'm going to keep it.

The crash is right on. It has a classic crash sound with a quick decay, so it gets out of the way quickly. And it looks really cool too!

The drums are Mapex Mars. They're nice, but not really what I want from a kit. I'm looking for a smaller 4-piece with either an 18" or 20" kick.

I'm working on setting up a mic to record and figure out how to do all of that stuff.

Nubs

Reaction score
UPDATE: I wound up sending back the ride. For as nice as it was, it fell short of what I am looking for. I have this ride coming in on Friday:

Nubs

Reaction score
Cool! Never heard one of those. What do you like about it?
It has a nice glassy stick sound when hit and a lower volume wash behind it so it doesn't overpower the stick sound. But it does open up nicely when you get on it and does make for a nice quick crash because the decay doesn't hang around.

Pretty much what I was looking for. It does have an interesting decay, almost a metallic shriek which is definitely unique. I'll see if I can get a quick video of it sometime soon.