New... JOE MORELLO: The Great Drum Solo

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Published on YouTube May 21, 2017 ...

The Bass player Gene Wright extended his Bass-Part....Joe got probably a bit angry and started the most awesome Drum Solo never seen before.

Last edited by a moderator:

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Absolutely incredible. I'd never seen that clip before, thanks for making my day.

Joe remains my favorite jazz drummer. He just had that touch.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The bassist was on fire.....JM shouldn't have cut him off........what he was playing over the bass was sick, too, as was his solo....thanks....

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Joe is one of my absolute favorites, both in terms of technique and taste. That was a tremendous example of both, except for the beginning when he was walking all over Eugene Wright while he was still soloing. I was really surprised to see that lapse, and there certainly seemed to be a lot of tension between the two of them. It almost looked like Wright started to say something under his breath before he walked off in disgust. It's flabbergasting because the two of them reportedly got along great, both musically and personally. That's the only time I've seen Joe's clay feet.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
cribbon said:
Joe is one of my absolute favorites, both in terms of technique and taste. That was a tremendous example of both, except for the beginning when he was walking all over Eugene Wright while he was still soloing. I was really surprised to see that lapse, and there certainly seemed to be a lot of tension between the two of them. It almost looked like Wright started to say something under his breath before he walked off in disgust. It's flabbergasting because the two of them reportedly got along great, both musically and personally. That's the only time I've seen Joe's clay feet.
Joe was the man and, yes, his left hand was not of this world. Being the gentleman that he was I wonder if he just jumped in too early. Gene was behind Joe making it a bit hard to make eye contact.
Coy

chikncity

Reaction score
One of the only 'modern jazz' drummers Buddy Rich respected...

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
cwdrums said:
Joe was the man and, yes, his left hand was not of this world. Being the gentleman that he was I wonder if he just jumped in too early. Gene was behind Joe making it a bit hard to make eye contact.

Coy
Joe Morello had poor eyesight even then. It may have been the reason for their communication break down in part. A drumming friend of mine back in the sixties told me how Joe Morello was really handicapped in that area. Believe it or not. At that time I was thinking... "who is this Joe Morello? "

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fack. He does more with one hand in the first part of that solo than I can do with 2. Morello is my favorite jazz drummers, because he can play so tasty, but at the same time his technical chops are unbelievable. He's just a master of wrist and finger control and moeller technique.

Chayro

Reaction score
Ok - let's write the imaginary script of what was said between Joe and Gene during that video.
That would be a water. On second thought, let's leave it alone.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The solo he played on Far More Drums is, IMO, one of the greatest Joe ever did, and influences me to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never gets old watching Joe, hadn't seen this one before. That one handed stuff was just ridiculous!

Latest posts