header.nohb.html

New kit day! (Gretsch content)

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been gone probably the last 5-6 months or so, and yesterday I made a big change to my setup. I was out and about when I stopped in my local music store for the first time in months. Basically, I ended up running back to my house, grabbing my kit and gear and trading in my shells and a couple cymbals in for credit towards this brand new Gretsch Catalina Club in Piano Black with silver and gold fleks.

It sounds absolutely phenonmenal. I needed a smaller bass, and I've always wanted a 14" floor. I only need a 13" snare and a new ride to be "complete", but for now, I'm absolutely in love. The 20×14 kick has so much more life than my old 22×18 and the toms are really smooth, warm, and bouncy. For what I play, this fits every sound I need perfectly.

I only have 5 payments to make on it over the next 5 months. the original price was $863, it sat on the shelves for a year and the staff loves me, so the owner knocked itdown to $600. My trade covered $350, so I'm only paying $50 a month.

Here's a pic

Also, this is the first brand new instrument I've ever owned.

QuqxCVf.jpg

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna get metal hoops for the bass. I prefer them to wood.

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice kit. i like the finish..enjoy

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you man. I stared at this kit long and hard for a good year or so. I knew I'd end up buying it eventually. It is perfect for me.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Nice! A guitarist buddy of mine has a Cat. with an 18" kick and it's a really nice set of drums for the money. I set them up and tuned them for him and was pleasantly surprised by how good they sounded. The snare drum was the biggest surprise---I worked on the tuning and was able to get a really nice response out of it.

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't messed with the tuning on mine yet. It's perfect. I think the guys at the store tuned it.

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll replace the stock heads eventually. Probably do ambassadors and a powerstroke 3. Maybe CS on the toms, I have no clue yet.

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably gonna port the bass too.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing at a time so you can appreciate the difference each change makes. If you end up wanting a little more attack remember that Tommy Wells was very happy recording with his Catalina kit after he applied polyurethane to the interior of the shells.

D

dmacc

Congratulations on a lovely kit! May it bring you years of happiness.

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn as much as I hate the fact that they are not USA made I have to admitt they look great and I am sure they sound great and that is a lot of bang for the buck.

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Their made to Gretsch specs it makes no difference who makes them the world has shrunk and the companies walked because our goverment
sold the country out on taxing are own 35%!!!!! We let them do it too!

The kit works well, I think they're as good mic'd up as any Grestch the differences are when their unmic'd.
If you like the kick sound don't port it!!!!! You will let out all the depth and sustain, try a ported head on it before you cut yours.
The old 14x20 stock size is a great drum size and I see more drummers returning to stock sizes in place of the novelty 18" depths.

Good luck good sounding shells and a nice finish.
Doc

why would you add metal hoops?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice kit! What shop did you get them from? I cut my retail teeth in music stores on the MD side of DC.

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got it at Alexandria Music, which is right off the GW parkway on Belleview Blvd.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, not even familiar with them, but that's the NoVa side. Glad you've got a relationship with a local shop.