New Kit on Order

Barden

Reaction score
That's a really interesting point. I wonder if that has to do with the blend of woods for those shells.
Getting back to the SJC kit for Steve...he doesn't like messing with his heads and hardware. He wants it to tune quickly and hold it. So finding that sweet spot for him would be a major hassle he wants no part of.

What's interesting here is that to me, that sweet spot issue sounds incredibly limiting. Limiting to the sound and feel of the drum. Again, without this being a slam on any of these drum lines...just going by your past experiences (which in just about everyone's case will be more extensive than mine), has anyone encountered such limitations? Or am I leaping to the wrong conclusion? I'm just curious.
I get real curious when I get to try drums in person that I have no experience with. The last "drum set" I bought was ~16 years ago. Lots has happened in the market since then and it's very difficult to fully assess a drum set without taking it home, putting different heads on it, and trying various tunings from the bottom up. Next best thing is to sit without a timing rush in a drum shop with some quiet, a drum key, and kit in question.

When I sat with the yamaha tour custom in a shop, I was pretty shocked how much trouble it was giving me to get full "in tune" sounds out of the toms. I think I would have gotten it eventually, but I wondered if that tuning would slip with heavy playing and leave me in the lurch. As long as no one has bought that kit yet, I will sit with it again and see. Twas a surprise though.

A month later I tuned a stage custom birch and found it a breeze, but it had double ply batter heads on it. It made me start shopping for a set casually.

I also recorded on a dw collectors kit over ten years ago and tuned and tuned to try to get the toms to sound good, but they fought me at every corner (the bass drum was huge live though). We swapped the kit for a premier cabria and everything dialed in quickly.

I also had a dw floor tom shock me once with how quickly it tuned up so I never really equate a brand or model to a hard expectation without hearing it. I like to be pleasantly surprised and know that the visuals, marketing, and hype are affecting me.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Barden, did you ever get a decent sound out of those Tour Customs? Or did you just walk away.

Sometimes I think you need to be able to turn your back on it. If it's just not happening, then It may not be meant to be. With how well drums are made these days, you should never have to fight with it to get a rich, full sound.

Barden

Reaction score
Barden, did you ever get a decent sound out of those Tour Customs? Or did you just walk away.

Sometimes I think you need to be able to turn your back on it. If it's just not happening, then It may not be meant to be. With how well drums are made these days, you should never have to fight with it to get a rich, full sound.
I had the 10" tom sounding good, but the 12" was fighting me so I moved on to the floor tom. That took a bit because it was a deeper drum than my floor toms. I find that the top and bottom heads need a different relationship on deeper drums for the sound I was targeting. Really that was the struggle happening. An individual head wasn't having too much trouble being in tune from lug to lug. It was getting the whole drum's sound due to top and bottom relationships.

None of the drums in mention seemed to have build quality issues relative to tuning ease it was more of discovering what tuning brought out the best sounds for my ear.

I also think that the mounting mechanism plays into the batter and resonant head tension choice.

Barden

Reaction score

And all of this is 1000 words to say everybody is jealous of your bubinga kit. You're going to have fun discovering what sounds you can get out of it.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
And all of this is 1000 words to say everybody is jealous of your bubinga kit. You're going to have fun discovering what sounds you can get out of it.
LOL Thank you, Barden. I'm looking forward to sharing pics once I get it home and assembled.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Gentlemen...the moment of truth is soon upon me. I'm leaving in just a bit to try out the Starclassic bubinga. I'm praying the rest holds up as well as the one tom!!! Wish me luck.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I did it...I pulled the trigger! My Tama Starclassic bubinga kit is on the way! I went back to Alto Music this afternoon, my man Dan took it off the wall and...even with the toms needing sometuning, they sounded great!! Rich, full, robust, hearty, lots of sustain, a musical woody tone...I really loved them. The bass drum was a monster. What a gorgeous kit. Again, I never would have suspected it could sound like that from the videos I've watched online.

I ordered my Gibraltar rack. I ordered all top of the line Tama hardware...a new Star hi-hat stand, 6 boom cymbal holders, Star tom mounts (that list at about $270 apiece?!?!? WTF Tama??? A strange experience when the biggest piece of sticker shock is from an essential yet small piece of hardware.), and 2 Star snare stands. I needed the 2nd stand for the Starphonic copper snare drum that I also bought...because it's incredible. I had been looking for a new wood shell snare to complement my Sledgehammer, but nothing was hitting me. I tried a ton from the Black Panther line (the Cherry Bomb is amazing, with the Warbird and the Black Widow running a close second), some Gretsch, a couple of Pearl, some Tama and DW as well as an SJC. But that copper drum and the knurled black nickel over steel from DW I'd mentioned in an earlier post were the ones that really spoke to me. In the end the copper won out. I also got me a Zildjian K hybrid 20" ride, because I hated my old ride and it had to go.

My friend Steve? He put a deposit down on a Gretsch Broadkaster kit in an eye-catching satin classic maple finish. It's a beautiful and classy retro kit.

My old Mapex Meridian Maples...I'm selling them to a kid who lives a couple of blocks away. He was always in love with it. I want it to be someplace where I know it will be played and appreciated. I would have felt bad with it stacked in a corner in my house.

It won't be shipping all at once, unfortunately, but I'll share pics as soon as I can. I hope to have the majority of the kit (without the hardware) on Tuesday.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Little hiccup...Tama can't make my extra toms because they won;t be getting anymore quilted bubinga. BUT, they had a kit in a natural bubinga burst finish and can make the one extra tom they don't have in that finish. So I had to switch things up. I was a little disappointed because that quilted finish is so unique, but this new one is beautiful too. I hope to have most of it within a couple of weeks.

Attachments

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Congrats Spinadude! I actually was the one assisting Dan at Alto with this. Enjoy it!
Thank you so much!!! I was disappointed when Dan first called, but the circumstances are totally understandable. I'm so thankful you guys were able to make this work. I really love the natural bubinga burst finish...I always want to see the wood grain on my drums and the color is beautiful. You guys did an excellent job. Dan at Alto is a great guy and he runs an excellent drum department. I'm really excited to get the kit home and just play the hell out of it!

And dude, that Starphonic copper snare?!?!?! What an amazing drum!

Hazelwood7

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have not read or saw anybody bring up the big room he heard this drums in. This favors drier drums such as the bubinga. Tune the other kits to maximum resonance, the room might not treat the other kits well. Most of us don’t have big rooms to fill so when he gets home with the kit, tell us what you think then. Smaller, deader room will give you the clear picture.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have not read or saw anybody bring up the big room he heard this drums in. This favors drier drums such as the bubinga. Tune the other kits to maximum resonance, the room might not treat the other kits well. Most of us don’t have big rooms to fill so when he gets home with the kit, tell us what you think then. Smaller, deader room will give you the clear picture.
I did ... post #13.
And I agree with you.
I’ve picked up cymbals that we’re perfect in the store ... horrible in the studio.
Tough lessons.

TamaDan

Reaction score
Thank you so much!!! I was disappointed when Dan first called, but the circumstances are totally understandable. I'm so thankful you guys were able to make this work. I really love the natural bubinga burst finish...I always want to see the wood grain on my drums and the color is beautiful. You guys did an excellent job. Dan at Alto is a great guy and he runs an excellent drum department. I'm really excited to get the kit home and just play the hell out of it!

And dude, that Starphonic copper snare?!?!?! What an amazing drum!
I have an eye on one of those. Waiting for a dented one to come through the office. :D

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been meaning to post, but I have not had the chance. My Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit came in and it is absolutely amazing! I have everything set up, but I'm still waiting for my 8-inch tom to arrive. That should be a couple of months. All of the Gibralter rack suggestions you guys gave me are perfect, I have it all set up with no slippage whatsoever. The versatility on setup has been perfect, exactly what I've been looking for. The sound on these drums is absolutely incredible. They are full, punchy and rich. In fact, I think I like how they sound in my house better even than what they sounded in the store. And I was in love with them at the store. The finish on these is stunning. I don't think the pics do them justice. The light in my house is not the best. When I tweaked the pics they came out a touch reddish. But trust me, they are gorgeous.

I want to give a special shout-out to Dan at Alto Music in Middletown, New York for helping me get everything together the kit is absolutely beautiful and I love it. I also want to give the same shout out and thank you to TamaDan on this forum for helping to get everything together. You guys really made me happy with that incredible purchase.

Attachments

Latest posts