New kit - when to compromise?

prplx

Reaction score
Can you afford this kit only because of the deal, or could you afford it at a higher price with the finish you want? If it’s the latter I would wait.

Also often certain kits will be on sale specifically because the finish is bot very popular. It makes them harder to resell too.

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think since you list "huge discount" as a deciding factor you have to be ready to compromise somewhere. If you are ordering from the factory you get to have it all your way, but you pay for it. With something like this you still need to be in the used drums mentality, even though they are new. Plus red drums ae sexy as hell, they look great.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Can you afford this kit only because of the deal, or could you afford it at a higher price with the finish you want? If it’s the latter I would wait.

Also often certain kits will be on sale specifically because the finish is bot very popular. It makes them harder to resell too.
These are both very true and good points. I could swing either I just don't want to wait for special order (16 weeks!) or pay the premium.

Who knows, they may be the next clown vomit/citrus mod!

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait it out, and prepare to spend a little more. Making a larger investment like that, you should really LOVE everything about it. Especially if you think it'll be a one time deal for you as far as a brand new kit. That makes it worth the extra dough.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
So what finish are you looking for? Is it that far off of this?
The ideal would be a satin natural, yellow slumbers or natural mahogany - I’m a sucker for a natural wood kit. Kind of want something thats brand new but reminiscent of the natural wood Levon Kit, 80s Thermagloss and stuff like that.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
There is no definitive answer here but be guaranteed that if you buy this kit, the one you really want will come up for sale in short order.
Haha, reminds me of the old freelancer adage “if you want to work, book a trip.”

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ve mentioned Golden Slumbers Thermogloss a few times.

it sounds like you’re definitely going Ludwig.

as someone who has bought and sold a lot of drums and loves bright colors ( I have an orange Swirl Club Custom Yamaha). Natural Maple, especially Thermogloss is timeless and much nicer than Gretsch satin oil

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
You’ve mentioned Golden Slumbers Thermogloss a few times.

it sounds like you’re definitely going Ludwig.

as someone who has bought and sold a lot of drums and loves bright colors ( I have an orange Swirl Club Custom Yamaha). Natural Maple, especially Thermogloss is timeless and much nicer than Gretsch satin oil
Yeah, definitely going Ludwig Classic Maple or Oak/Keystone X. My personal take is to always go with something classic and timeless like a natural wood stain or gloss. Those Yamaha Club Customs are killer, congrats - love the orange swirl and would always prefer a paint job over a wrap.

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely going Ludwig Classic Maple or Oak/Keystone X. My personal take is to always go with something classic and timeless like a natural wood stain or gloss. Those Yamaha Club Customs are killer, congrats - love the orange swirl and would always prefer a paint job over a wrap.
The oak finishes will be different texture than the maple presumably. I’d decide which sound first and then the finish after that.

I’m not an oak wood guy, but I don’t play a lot of hard rock. That to me is it’s strong suit. Cutting thru a mix.

I’m not a wrap guy either. Especially on a new kit. I just went to the site. Yes you can get thermogloss on the classic line. Or maybe mahogany satin and save a few dollars.

Last edited: