* NEW LOWER PRICE * VINTAGE 18" PAISTE FORMULA 602 CHINA CYMBAL ("Seven Sound Set" No.6) - $585 Shipped

oneeyedcat

Reaction score
Up for grabs is the nicest china/swish I have ever played and it breaks my heart to part with it. This is a vintage 18" Paiste Formula 602 China Type from the "Seven Sound Set" No.6. It is in excellent condition. It weighs in at 1440g. Not quite new but no keyholes, no fleabites, no scratches, no funny business! Only selling because arthritis has ended my drumming career and this cymbal deserves to be played. Below is the description from the Paiste Wiki Page:

Paiste China Type
Formula 602
Seven Sound Set No.6

Similar to Chinese sound, but with greater brilliance and definition. (2)

An exotic, light and airy cymbal with a touch of sparkle to the ping and a soft, mellow crash sound with a full, long sustain. Although oriental in character, the vibrations are finer and more controlled than other Paiste China Types and the result is a light, mellow, compact, direct and beautifully balanced sound. (1)

Not 100% sure but I think this is the same model that Jack DeJohnette played early in his career when he was playing Paistes. These are very rare at this point because people are reluctant to let them go after hearing them!

Keep an eye out for more cymbals, drums and hardware. I'm letting it all go!

Video/Audio File

IMG_2100.jpg
IMG_2103.jpg
IMG_2104.jpg
IMG_2106.jpg
IMG_2107.jpg

Last edited:

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think this cymbal might be the same as the Black label and blue label 602 china types from the 70's and 80s no? @toddlittle827 might be able to confirm this. But I thought the shape and sound for the black and blue label chinas came from the SSS line.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
yes - as far as I can tell there is no difference between the SSS China and a 602 China stamped as a China Type. It looks like in the late 60s all 602 Chinas were stamped as SSS No. 6 (no matter whether it was the 18" or 20") I have never seen a preserial 602 China stamped as a China Type despite them being listed as a separate cymbal outside of the set. They started doing that (the China Type stamping) later once they got into the 70s.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
I believe the 11" Splash and 8" Bell were not stamped as such until after the discontinuation of the SSS but those were never listed as separate cymbals on the price sheets. The 602 China Type stamping came earlier but would need to check some serial numbers to be sure and see when exactly they started stamping them that way.

zenstat

Reaction score
The 602 China Type stamping came earlier but would need to check some serial numbers to be sure and see when exactly they started stamping them that way.
I had a look in my reference collection and it told me I have a lot of images which aren't indexed in my spreadsheet yet and another reorganization is needed. :eek: The earliest one I found so far is an 18" 1975 which has the China Type ink on it. All ink top and bottom is black.

sss6-2-top.png

@oneeyedcat

Dear Mr Cat,

Any chance of a weight for the wiki?

oneeyedcat

Reaction score
I had a look in my reference collection and it told me I have a lot of images which aren't indexed in my spreadsheet yet and another reorganization is needed. :eek: The earliest one I found so far is an 18" 1975 which has the China Type ink on it. All ink top and bottom is black.

View attachment 523813

@oneeyedcat

Dear Mr Cat,

Let me see what I can do. Maybe end of week.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
1975 is when they changed the type stamp ink color on the specialty 602s (SSS, Chinas, Flats, Morellos) from red to black. The type stamp ink on the standard 602s remained red until the switch to the blue logos.

Interesting on the stamping on the China in the picture, Zen. I've seen it before obviously but it never really registered as far as tracking time frames (due to these cymbals having serials). I wonder if they stamped them as China Type / Seven Sound Set No. 6 from 1975 (or earlier) until the discontinuation of the set and they weren't stamped as just a China Type until ~1978 like the splash and bell? Would make sense. Need to look a more 602 Chinas from different years and see.

Tarkus

Reaction score

View attachment 523813

@oneeyedcat

Dear Mr Cat,

Hi Steve

Here, I have something for you:

IMG_3443.jpg
IMG_3446.jpg
IMG_3450.jpg

I guess, it's from 1974. Of course, no 'Seven Sound Set', black ink on both sides, weight is 2120 grams. Took a long time to reach me. Now, I just have to find a way to clean it softly, to keep patina, but remove the worst dirt (maybe worth another thread). Sounds great, it's a players tool, as you see.

As I couldn't get any soundfile before buying, I searched the net and found another one of the same age:

https://www.hazelshould.com/products/2032?_pos=5&_sid=364050596&_ss=r

1974 as well, black ink, 2032 g. Mine sounds very similar, just darker (which surprised me, as it is a bit heavier).

Just don't get it why Paiste called it 'China Type'. According to what I understood from your (and other) sites, it's a Swish.

PS: Hope this does not interfere with the advertised cymbal here. It's a different size anyway. But if somebody has a problem, I'll delete my post immediately. (Oneeyedcat?)

Greetings
Markus

Last edited:

oneeyedcat

Reaction score
Hi Steve

Here, I have something for you:

View attachment 525400 View attachment 525401 View attachment 525402

I guess, it's from 1974. Of course, no 'Seven Sound Set', black ink on both sides, weight is 2120 grams. Took a long time to reach me. Now, I just have to find a way to clean it softly, to keep patina, but remove the worst dirt (maybe worth another thread). Sounds great, it's a players tool, as you see.

As I couldn't get any soundfile before buying, I searched the net and found another one of the same age:

https://www.hazelshould.com/products/2032?_pos=5&_sid=364050596&_ss=r

1974 as well, black ink, 2032 g. Mine sounds very similar, just darker (which surprised me, as it is a bit heavier).

Just don't get it why Paiste called it 'China Type'. According to what I understood from your (and other) sites, it's a Swish.

PS: Hope this does not interfere with the advertised cymbal here. It's a different size anyway. But if somebody has a problem, I'll delete my post immediately. (Oneeyedcat?)

Greetings
Markus
No problem here my friend.

oneeyedcat

Reaction score

View attachment 523813

@oneeyedcat

Dear Mr Cat,

Hey zen, thanks for your patience. I found my scale today and the weight is (drumroll please), 1440 g.