new Ludwig 8 lug Black Beauty

Lakemusic

Reaction score
Hi Folks. Just wanted to check in about this drum. I took delivery of the new Ludwig 8 lug 5x14 BB. Its the regular version, not the anniversary gold hardware version. They've got a winner here. It feels absolutely great to play and sounds insanely good. It came with a Ludwig Heavy snare head and ive been playing it for a few hours. What a great drum. I never liked the five inch BBs too much because they felt a little constricted to me. This drum is just fantastic. If youre on the fence about one of these, do not hesitate!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Anxious to see and hear one of these. I was hoping to do so at the Chicago show but that ain't happening anytime soon. To my mind an 8 lug BB has to be near perfection.

Last edited:

gmiller598

Reaction score
I have one of them as well. It sounds beautiful. I left the stock heads on it. I got it as an open box demo drum from Sweetwater It has a beautiful amount of resonance to it. I've never played the 10 lug version but I really love the depth of sound coming from the 5x14 8 lug.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Reaction score
Ludwig must of made a ton of em.. All GC have them, in stock, for sale now. Well, at least one per store (I was told).

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Just picked up a 6.5 x 14 hammered 10 lug black beauty and I'm in love. I did compare it to the 8 lug 110th anniversary version, but personally I preferred the extra control and focus of the 10 lug. Both drums were true beauties and outclassed every other snare I tried, the lug count just seemed to come down to personal preference.

To be honest, my decision may have been informed by the fact that I've been playing an Acrolite, which while not in the same galaxy as a black beauty, had similar overtones and resonance to the 8 lug black beauty (but also had an internal muffler to control them a bit).

Either way, it seems you can't go wrong with these drums. I'm still swooning, and know that I'll love this drum for years and years to come. Enjoy yours in good health!