New Ludwig classic maple bearing edges

J_Boomy

Reaction score
Hi

This is my first post so please be nice :)

After a lot of thinking and late night web searching I have decided to order a new Ludwig Classic Maple in Bonham sizes ( 14x26 10x14 16x16 16x18 ).
Large classic lugs, curved spurs, classic floor tom brackets, cast keystone badges, gold sparkle finish.

But they have added yet another choice...
The bearing edges.

You can get single 45, double 45 and a full round over for the Classic Maple.

So now to my question:
Do you think it would be a good choice to go with full round over for the bass drum?

I think I still want single 45 for the toms but giving the bass drum more body and a little less ring is tempting.
It would be close to a Club date sound I guess (minus the poplar plies).

But I am afraid that I could loose some definition, especially since it is a 26" bass drum.
I play classic rock music.

What do you think?

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With the double 45s you will get more attack and more of the head sound. It‘s great if you want a clean, precise sound. If you are looking for more tone, more body, etc... then the round over would be more suitable. The double 45s to to be perceived as slightly louder due to the clean, articulate tone of the frequencies.

The single 45 is sort of in the middle. Personally, I love roundover edges, but I’m not playing a lot of fast passages.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can understand the interest in non-standard bearing edges, but with the Classic Maples I don't think you can go wrong with the standard bearing edges.

I've spec'd a couple kits with differing edges within the kit (Craviotto with baseball bat edges for example) and still overall prefer a well-done general purpose edge across a kit. Head choice and tuning etc can get you where you want to go most of the time while a bearing edge is less easy to change should it pose an issue. Shell thickness at the edge is another consideration for alternative edges, more so with thicker shells or with reinforcement rings.

There appears to be a $50 up-charge per drum for non-standard bearing edges from Ludwig. Also, it does not appear they allow for differing edges on the batter and reso sides of a drum in their Outfitter sheet, which I think would be a good option.

J_Boomy

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice!

The single 45 is sort of in the middle. Personally, I love roundover edges, but I’m not playing a lot of fast passages.
I am certainly not fast by any means so that would not be an issue :D

I can understand the interest in non-standard bearing edges, but with the Classic Maples I don't think you can go wrong with the standard bearing edges.
Yes that is exactly what is ringing in my head as well. With the standard edge you know what you get......but then there are clips with Club dates that sounds really good.

If I would go for full round over for the toms as well, how good would they sound at high Bonham style tuning?

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
This kit has double 45 on the 10, single 45 on the 12, 13, 14, and round over on the 16 and bass drum:

J_Boomy

Reaction score
Overall a very nice sounding kit.
I really liked the 16" floor tom.
I like the bass drum also especially when played harder in the louder parts.

Is it you playing?

J_Boomy

Reaction score
Today I finally made up my mind and ordered the set....with full round over on all drums.
Thank you all for your input, it was most appreciated.
I also got in touch with another forum member who had first hand information on how a classic maple sound with full round over (baseball bat).

.....and then this thread where the baseball bat type edge really gets high marks to say the least :)
https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?280297-My-new-masters-with-baseball-bat-edges

......So now a long wonderful wait of roughly 3-4 months starts :oops:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One good thing with ordering round over edges - if you don’t like them they can be reworked into single or double 45 edges

J_Boomy

Reaction score
That's true.
At least double 45 will be quite easy, putting the apex in the center.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
......So now a long wonderful wait of roughly 3-4 months starts :oops:
You have just begun an experiment in the perception of time. Before you ordered your drums, you perceived a period of 3 – 4 months as passing at a certain rate. Now that you've ordered your drums you will perceive a period of 3 – 4 months as passing at a much slower rate.

The same thing happened to me between June and September of 2013... ;)

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Congrats! I just ordered my Yamaha Hybrid Absolute Maple Kit 3-4 months. But I get the 12 and 13 next week since the Yamaha distribution center had them. So, in 3-4 months I get my 22/10/16.

J_Boomy

Reaction score
Carter McLean is one hell of a drummer......and drum tuner.

Let the Hella Huge Tone begin!
Yeahhh, I really hope so :D

Pictures and review will come....after 3-4 months of punishment :)

mcirish

Reaction score
He really does a great job with tuning his drums. I'm not sure how he gets such a clear tone yet doesn't have endless ringing. I'd love to watch him tune that kit. I'd like to know his top to bottom intervals.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
He really does a great job with tuning his drums. I'm not sure how he gets such a clear tone yet doesn't have endless ringing. I'd love to watch him tune that kit. I'd like to know his top to bottom intervals.
When you get a drum in tune the ring usually turns into resonance and fullness. In my experience you only get this through constant tweeting and trial and error, not really specific notes/intervals. Just tweek to maximum resonance. You can here the drum wake up when you get there. He has a tuning video that demonstrates this concept. Use your ears and never settle! Usually bottom head higher than top for that round, tympanic note.

J_Boomy

Reaction score
Arghhhhh, I got the final quote and now I hesitate again.
There appears to be a $50 up-charge per drum for non-standard bearing edges from Ludwig.
The already very high Swedish prices for American drums are getting even higher with these edges.
But not only with $50 but rather $100.
For me that means that I land on approx $5000 in total :oops:

Either Ludwig has raised the prices or the Swedish distributor has decided on increasing their margins :mad:
.....it could even be my dealer but I doubt that.

zenghost, do you know if you got a fixed fee per drum ($50) or it is just happens to be my very big sizes that doubles the up-charge?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The standard bearing edge on the Classic Maple is a single 45, but with a flat peak and a slight rounded chamfer on the outer portion.
It comes off a bit more "lively" than a full roundover, but with less sustain than a sharp peaked 45.
It works on the bass, the toms and the snare.
The CM's will be loud but with a colourful dark tone.
They'll be a little cold when brand new, but a few years, will mellow out a little.

Elvis