New Ludwig Legacy Jazz Festival

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm an artist with Canopus and confirmed it with a Canopus rep that the (3 position) muffler on the Ludwig snare is the Canopus muffler with a custom (red) felt instead of the standard white felt Canopus uses/sells.
I had a feeling Ludwig was using the Canopus muffler. Thanks for confirming this!

-Mark

patrickwitherow

Reaction score
Great looking drums in this thread. Does anybody know how exactly the oyster wraps were made? I've read they were handmade, but how? And how do they have the nice looking 3D effect and mother of pearl sections in them? I just purchased Ludwig kit (22x12 New Yorker pre-serial, 13x9 1967, and 16x16 1967) in Oyster Blue Pearl that hasn't arrived yet. It looks gorgeous in pictures - and I'm interested to know how they made these oyster wraps.

**Think I just found my answer:

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Does anybody know how exactly the oyster wraps were made? I've read they were handmade, but how? And how do they have the nice looking 3D effect and mother of pearl sections in them? and I'm interested to know how they made these oyster wraps.

**Think I just found my answer:
In a nutshell pearl or oyster wrap starts out as a cellulose plastic that appears to be about the consistancy of playdough. They add color to this plastic then cut it into various shapes that are run through rollers to squish the various colors together into the random pattern of the wrap. The final look depends on what the initial shapes were and how they are fed into the rollers. That is where the artisanship comes into play. Whomever is making the wrap has to determine what shapes they cut and how they are fed through the rollers. I assume that in the case of oyster wraps they feed long strips of black and clear and white thru the rollers. The chunks of wrap created by the rollers are combined together to form a 24"x54" block which once set up has thin slices cut from it that is eventually laminated into finished wrap. The process described above is apparently done in Italy. Delmar creates the final product in the US.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have one of those Oyster Pink jobs too. It did irritate me at the time that they put ten lugs on it but they are a nice drum. I also have the later Oyster Black "limited edition" model. Supposedly they had a special batch of wrap for those but, at least on the one I got, not so much. On the bright side, they did put the right number of lugs on those.

It was the $500 price that got me to jump on this, I also couldn't quite justify paying $760 for one. Assuming Cascio wanted to at least break even on this drum it seems to indicate a pretty healthy markup even at MAP (minimum advertised price...$759).

I got my BB muffler squared away so it works correctly. The nuts on the arm were not positioned properly, some minor adjusting fixed that so now the arm stops and rests where it should.
Ahh, the human element involved in making nice drums regarding your muffler. We all like to complain about QC, and say "for that much money I expect perfection", but then it gets easily fixed and works as expected. I'm glad humans are still involved in the manufacturing process!
K.O. your snare is a beauty, especially when compared to your vintage one. Now if only Ludwig could get the Oyster Blue to better match the vintage era...!
Stretch

Mike St.Clair

Reaction score
I'm talking about a lacquered wood finish of some sort. I'm a lacquered shell kind of guy. I like to see the natural wood grain.

Latest posts