header.nohb.html

New Ludwig Speed King & LC16HH Classic Hi-Hat - thoughts?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I started out in 1964 with a Speed King and the associated hi-hat stand. I think they were perfect for my playing style and am thinking of purchasing one of each to check out. I am not someone who needs a pedal that supports speed or projection, but am a stickler for reliability. Any thoughts on either or both of them?

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started out in 1964 with a Speed King and the associated hi-hat stand. I think they were perfect for my playing style and am thinking of purchasing one of each to check out. I am not someone who needs a pedal that supports speed or projection, but am a stickler for reliability. Any thoughts on either or both of them?
I have a full set of the Classic series, including the hi-hat. Really love it -- a bit more of a full review here:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been using the hi hat stand well the older version since it came out what about ten years ago? It’s been great. I like how flat base stands look. This one is not as light as say the Tama or DW but I think it’s a little more stable. I also have a reissue Speed King. Seems well made and plays nicely. I however like the Atlas pro better and I recently got the new Speed Flyer The flyer is my favorite very smooth and just does what my foot does.

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a new re-issue Speed King because that's what I used when I started in the '60s. I played it a little, was not impressed, and sold it. But as has often been stated on this forum, pedals are very personal.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a new re-issue Speed King because that's what I used when I started in the '60s. I played it a little, was not impressed, and sold it. But as has often been stated on this forum, pedals are very personal.

Did it feel different? Sure does to me. Mine that I bought in 1992 was smooth this reissue feels like it’s fighting me. I will probably keep it as it’s light and compact. Good to carry in my pedal bag as a spare

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I have two of the Atlas Classic hi-hat stands, the older version. They’re very nice, reasonably stable. I tend to put all of my leg into it, and it might rock a little, but it doesn’t budge. I love it aesthetically, it just looks right.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I’ve got the reissue Speed King as I’d played one for years back in the 70’s. For me the new one is just a modern upgrade on a classic so nothing not to like!

petereather

Reaction score
Ya I get some pretty fast stuff down there , I am 68 . when I get grooving the Base player and I have fun