New member - Pearl Session Studio Select Issue?

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the wax issue. Perhaps because its a smaller (smallest) shell...the interior shell temp was higher than the others causing the wax to liquify briefly....

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This tom has been mounted on the stand since I bought the kit in the spring of 2019 - it hasn't moved since that time. There are permanent "dents" in the rug from the stands , floor tom legs, and kick and hi hat pedals. When I wiped it down in early fall everything was great - some say not to use Windex, but for literally years and through several different kits, a light mist on a clean cotton rag followed by a dry one will keep things nice. Never clean cymbals with anything except a dry rag to get the dust off. A kit kept by an adult - not gigged - staying stationary and wiped down a few times a year being kept covered out of direct sunlight in a climate controlled room should stay nearly mint. If you saw this kit in person, you'd shake your head too wondering why or what is going on with one drum??
Not wax - not bugs - not buffing compound - the drum has been in one place for 2 years - bottom head removed for the First Time since new, the day before my initial post. Calling the dealer today!!!
How did the call go?

Mark K

Reaction score
I talked to the sales rep that didn't take my call and the person I spoke with was off today and is back on tomorrow and so I'll be calling again tomorrow. It's one of the premier drum shops in the Northeast, and I don't think it'd be appropriate for me to drop names on a public forum. I'm anxious to hear what if any explanation might be offered. I described my issue to the fellow I spoke with and he'd never heard of anything like this either?

Attachments

• IMG_0980 (2).JPG
    IMG_0980 (2).JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0981 (2).JPG
    IMG_0981 (2).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 41

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked to the sales rep that didn't take my call and the person I spoke with was off today and is back on tomorrow and so I'll be calling again tomorrow. It's one of the premier drum shops in the Northeast, and I don't think it'd be appropriate for me to drop names on a public forum. I'm anxious to hear what if any explanation might be offered. I described my issue to the fellow I spoke with and he'd never heard of anything like this either?
The mystery deepens….

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried Goo Gone?

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are any of the spots on the sticker or lugs screws? If not it might suggest they were all there before final assembly.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
That could be bug dirt. Ive had ladybugs and boxelder bugs crawl thru airholes before.
If you want to send me the drum, Ill get it out for you.
I know from personal experience that Pearl doesnt have any more of that mahogany. They are also having supply chain difficulty. Custom work is months out.
Send it to me, I'll get it cleaned out. N/C
Tom

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That could be bug dirt. Ive had ladybugs and boxelder bugs crawl thru airholes before.
If you want to send me the drum, Ill get it out for you.
I know from personal experience that Pearl doesnt have any more of that mahogany. They are also having supply chain difficulty. Custom work is months out.
Send it to me, I'll get it cleaned out. N/C
Tom
Wait, are you saying the current supply chain issues are also affecting Pearl’s wood sourcing? I’m asking because I just ordered a Masterworks kit with a lot of mahogany in it.

And interesting point about bugs flying or crawling into the vent holes, I hadn’t thought of that. You may just have solved the problem for the OP.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Wait, are you saying the current supply chain issues are also affecting Pearl’s wood sourcing? I’m asking because I just ordered a Masterworks kit with a lot of mahogany in it.

And interesting point about bugs flying or crawling into the vent holes, I hadn’t thought of that. You may just have solved the problem for the OP.
Steech,
When Pearls custom shop looked at my glue seam issues they stated at yhat time they were not making the African Mahog shells that I had anymore.
How that may or may not affect you is beyond me. I just know that current custom orfers are gonna take months. When I was at the factory.last month they stated that they had a bunch of containers in California sitting in the bay.
Congrats on the new set man! That will be some 1st class drums!

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steech,
When Pearls custom shop looked at my glue seam issues they stated at yhat time they were not making the African Mahog shells that I had anymore.
How that may or may not affect you is beyond me. I just know that current custom orfers are gonna take months. When I was at the factory.last month they stated that they had a bunch of containers in California sitting in the bay.
Congrats on the new set man! That will be some 1st class drums!
Thanks man! I know it’s gonna take at least 6 months and I can’t wait.

Which factory were you at?

Mark K

Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you for your input and suggestions! The response has been amazing. Honestly, this one is a mindbender - for about 3 years, I had 2 MIJ kits in very nice original condition that sat in the corners of my room and they were the thin shell Mahogany - likely Luan which of course isn't African quality veneer. However, when the fellow that bought them looked them over there were zero issues.
I have Red Oak, Hickory, Ipe, Rock Maple, and Bamboo dimensional cut wood for bow making in the room and it's fine. And yes, Bamboo is a grass, I know! Ladybug was mentioned and I remarked that I did find one when I removed the bottom head. How could one bug the size of a #2 pencil eraser create the amount of crap found in the shell??? I don't find evidence of others in the room.

Until I get in touch with the dealer, I'm not going to attempt anything as the integrity of the shell aside from the spots is 100% perfect. The tom is back on the stand - tuned and sounds and plays fine.
The bottom line is pretty straight forward - something happened in the last few months inside that drum. It's now not in the same nearly pristine order as its counterparts and it Should be. It's like having a '63 split window Corvette with the "E" missing from the badge. Apples and oranges exaggeration but you get my drift.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Get on the pearl drum forum and look up "Al" he works for pearl and is very active on the forum

He will help you out

Mark K

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip - I'll do that. I received an email from the dealer and upon speaking with the Pearl rep, he was told it looks like mold which it 100% is Not. He was told by the rep that as I do woodworking, I should have the materials to "clean up" whatever the mystery substance is. I know that if I were to use any chemicals or any method of sanding, scrubbing, removing the hardware, etc. it would void the "Lifetime Shell Warranty". I'm anal about my bamboo fly rods and English reels, my vintage archery gear, and keeping the darn lines arrow straight when I mow the lawn. I'm not someone that would spend a few thousand dollars on a drum kit and let it go to ruins. Something happened to this darn shell that has Zero input from me or something I did or didn't do.

I sure hope that Al can be of help. I'm trying to maintain my composure but feel like Pearl has little interest in some old farts 10" tom. This is my 4th Pearl kit to boot!

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, get in touch with Al.
I’ve seen him work magic in some cases. Not saying what he can do for you, but reach out to him

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if they didn’t let you send it to them so that they can take a look at it.