New member - Pearl Session Studio Select Issue?

Hazelwood7

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why do you want a new drum? You just said there was a dead ladybug in there and you a wood worker who built your wife’s Office next door. How much stuff was flying around when you we’re doing that. Did it get into the drum like the lady bug?

They are correct in not replacing it. If the shell goes out of round or ply separation then yes, but this, no. You had the kit 3 years and I wouldn’t replace it. Pearl replaces a lot of stuff and they are great about it. If they are denying this, they have a reason.
I don’t know any other company that carries this warranty. I wish Sonor did a lifetime warranty, since the abs plastic can get brittle and break.

bconrad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try taking it to your local extension office and see if they have an entomologist or master gardener on staff that will take a look at it. They may be able to diagnose it based on the photos.

Mark K

Reaction score
Hazelwood, I haven't said that I want or expect a new drum. I would like to know what has happened to a beautiful veneer inside of a drum that has always been covered under a new white cotton sheet when not in use? The office that I "built" for my wife is my daughter's former bedroom. I built in a desk which was pre-fabricated in the garage and assembled in the room - No sawdust! I hung monitors and a flat screen TV on the wall and installed new lighting and got her a nice office chair and air conditioner as our 1850 post and beam home gets hot in 90 degree summer days. The door to my room was closed. I'd like to have you or anyone for that matter come over and allow me to take you up and have a look at my area. I'll guarantee that you'll say - " Hmmm, yeah that is weird" because it IS. And it just ain't right.
When I first posted this I was hoping that someone may have encountered the same situation. I'm not looking to get something for nothing in the form of Pearl saying "no problem - send us your drum and we'll overnight you a new one" - that fantasy never entered my mind.

Tommy D - I like G2 Coated or Ambassadors, but have a full set of clear Emperors new in the box. The stock heads have stick marks but no dimples or the like. I'm almost ashamed to admit that this beautiful kit has has precious few hours on it. Once this issue is resolved, I'm seriously considering sending it to a new home. My frustration level is climbing. I spent 4 hours in the woods yesterday with my fly rod hiking a small stream in the snow to try to chill out. I get back to reality with this and here we go again.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
was it always there? (as if you'd notice) If so leave it It's original no one will notice or care and could make a good story when time comes to sell them;
50 years ago no one would even mention this. If it's a manufacturing splat/splatter

If it's bug juice you can tell a story " WE had a Gig in Central Africa. It was hot summer and the bugs....."

Mark K

Reaction score
It wasn't there when I wiped them down at the end of the summer - early fall. And, yes I'd notice. Being a fly fisherman and tying flies that would sit on your pinky fingernail dictates having an eye for detail.
I do like your imagination - makes me want to dive into a jungle beat on the floor toms!

Mark K

Reaction score
If it was there when I unboxed them it would have been addressed at that point. Excepting this one drum, the rest of the kit is 99.9% perfect -.01 for stick marks on the heads.
My objective is to find out what the heck this stuff is and how it got there? Again - getting redundant - I'm not looking for Pearl to pat me on the head and give me a cookie. I'm looking for some expertise.
Seems as though none will ever materialize and I'll live with the crap that shouldn't be there, or remove the hardware and lightly sand the shell and hope the tone doesn't alienate the drum from the rest of the kit. I have no idea what finish was used if any - nobody can honestly describe the manufacturing process so basically an integral part of the kit is at the mercy of my discretion rather than being assessed by those that had a hand in creating it. Thin shells and exotic plies. Why would you chance altering it from original? I'm pretty darned skilled and could wet sand that to a glass finish and lay on a coat of oil or lacquer or poly, etc...............but I shouldn't have to.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You did say there was a ladybug in it. According to this link Ladybugs secrete some sort of liquid when scared. I imagine a lady bug stuck in a tom being played would be pretty scared.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Introducing our new Pearl Ladybug series !!

The white tone enhancing secretion
will make your engineer very happy ,
all overtones are evened out to the
natural tone of the shell .

Go kick rocks John Goode !!!!

Mayan

Reaction score
Yes I read that ladybugs “bleed“ when they’re injured. Maybe she bled to death in there, poor girl.

Mark K

Reaction score
So, looking at the 3 photos that I posted, collectively here, it seems that the general consensus is that One Ladybug created the widespread substance in the shell? It would take a hundred of them IF they were the culprit? I saved that bug in an ashtray we got on a family trip to Canada when I was about 5 or 6 years old - 60 years ago. When I removed the bottom head - it dropped out and was fully intact and I just plopped it in there. It still is and I'm headed up to snap a pic of the perpetrator for your viewing pleasure.

Mark K

Reaction score
Here is the "evidence" of what was in my shell. Aside from air itself, this is the only thing that was in the drum. How in God's creation or whatever entity you believe in, could this tiny creature have made the copious amounts of white spots in the shell? The drums under the sheet is how they've been kept since set up new. I'm going to apologize if I'm failing to see much humor in this.
IMG_0987 (2).JPG
IMG_0988 (2).JPG
IMG_0989 (2).JPG

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Pearl is a stand up company.
Based on the sheer number of drums they sell, I would bet they have seen it all.
After my own warranty issue, I would not hesitate to own or play any of thier product.
That said, with your skill sets,you could any number of ways remove the residue and get that one tenth of one percent back.
I guess if a bird poops all over my car and I dont see it happen, is that Fords problem?
I am convinced by this thread that there was 10 times more energy spent talking than what it will take to correct the issue.
From the ttimeless archives of Fletch
ZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzZzzzzzz.........