New member with (new to me) old Rogers

Bucket

Reaction score
New member, long time lurker. I recently picked up this Rogers kit. I believe its a 64 Top Hat. This kit seems really clean. I can only find one non-original part on it...a collet. The paper tags are perfect. The sizes are a little unique in that they are 12, 13, 16, 22. What seems even more amazing after researching Rogers numbers are that the tags are almost in perfect sequence. Three of them are in exact sequence and the 12 is 4 tags later. Am I correct on the 64 date? Thanks!

Attachments

• 12t serial.jpg
    12t serial.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 13t serial.jpg
    13t serial.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 16f serial.jpg
    16f serial.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 22k serial.jpg
    22k serial.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 20220109_102539.jpg
    20220109_102539.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220109_102622.jpg
    20220109_102622.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on the new set! It’s beautiful! Those more informed will comment on age.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
change your title to "old" Rogers )

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all hate you...

You've absolutely hit a home run.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That configuration in that era, with a 22" BD, is much less common. And with not the twin 12's, but the 12/13...

We are mad at you..

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
New member, long time lurker. I recently picked up this Rogers kit. I believe its a 64 Top Hat. This kit seems really clean. I can only find one non-original part on it...a collet. The paper tags are perfect. The sizes are a little unique in that they are 12, 13, 16, 22. What seems even more amazing after researching Rogers numbers are that the tags are almost in perfect sequence. The three toms are in exact sequence and the kick is 4 tags later. Am I correct on the 64 date? Thanks!
Hi Bucket...and welcome to the forum! A beautiful, and rare, kit indeed! As mentioned, the Top Hat sets were normally configured with dual 8x12 toms and a 14x20 bass drum. Your configuration is rare! As to the tags, I've been downloading pictures of Rogers drums from eBay for a very long time now and it is rare to see paper tags so close to each other. I see plenty of kits from Ludwig and Slingerland with close serial numbers, but not Rogers. Just seems to be the way the shells were pulled to create a set. It's obvious that your shells were not only born together, but managed to stay together during the build process. A truly unique set! I hope you enjoy them for years to come!

-Mark

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Joe Thompson was the King of Rogers drums! Those pre cbs drums were flawless. ‘64 was officially first year of the 5 ply Keller shell and first year beaver tail lug.

Bucket

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! My wife bought these for me for my 50th B Day. Having begun drumming in the early 80s, I always drooled over those Tama catalogs, hence why I have a thing for vintage Tamas. However, my first teacher had a sparkle Rogers (champagne?) in his studio that I took lessons on. I always thought they were "fuddy duddy" but gravitated back towards them when I began playing again after taking many years off and I was looking for a kit for my young son to learn on. He is now 18, auditioning for jazz studies programs at conservatories and is a Rogers nut (he has a 75ish KOA Londoner). He will be inheriting these after I'm gone so they will definitely be well taken care of for the foreseeable future.

evolving_machine

Reaction score
A very nice looking kit. I just bought a brand new Dynasonic 6.5 in White Pearl that looks like it would match your kit. Good luck with that kit.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is an awesome kit- I have a '65 Holiday kit in blue sparkle, Great drums indeed! Enjoy!

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
Joe Thompson was the King of Rogers drums! Those pre cbs drums were flawless. ‘64 was officially first year of the 5 ply Keller shell and first year beaver tail lug.
And, let's not forget that drum production quality really remained the same for all drums built in Covington, even after the CBS takeover. Even the first few years of Fullerton production, around 1969-1970, saw great drums being made. Then, things started going downhill! I wasn't aware of any of this when I purchased my Celebrity outfit in the summer of 1972. Yes, my floor tom and cymbal arm brackets were the cast version, as well as the collet noses, but in the 10 years I had the Celebrity, I never had a cracked collet nose!

-Mark

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! My wife bought these for me for my 50th B Day. Having begun drumming in the early 80s, I always drooled over those Tama catalogs, hence why I have a thing for vintage Tamas. However, my first teacher had a sparkle Rogers (champagne?) in his studio that I took lessons on. I always thought they were "fuddy duddy" but gravitated back towards them when I began playing again after taking many years off and I was looking for a kit for my young son to learn on. He is now 18, auditioning for jazz studies programs at conservatories and is a Rogers nut (he has a 75ish KOA Londoner). He will be inheriting these after I'm gone so they will definitely be well taken care of for the foreseeable future.
And this is what's really cool - your drumming life heritage getting passed on, from your teacher, to you, and now to your son!

Edit: Lest we forget the coolest of all - your wife snaring these killer drums for you!