New Monk CD

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been listening to this CD for a week now. I can't stop listening. Ben Riley is killing it. Of course is doesn't hurt that it seems they put 10 microphones right above Ben's Slingerlands. One of the best live recorded drum sounds...actually the whole band...I have ever heard

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, this is wonderful. Love the comping over the bowed bass solo on Well, You Needn't, when the ride drops down to almost inaudible. They are so locked in, amazing.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is great to have because the late 60s was more or less the end of his regular playing. There’s an anecdote of he and Miles on the same bill around then and Miles doing the funk thing and Monk reaming him out for it and it almost coming to blows. The winds had changed and Monk was still doing his thing. To me it was a better thing. There was a studio session he did late 60s that was more or less a producer trying to make him be funky, and it didn’t go well. The winds had changed. He was happy to be caught in a luff. Just sittin and waitin. And here we are coming about..happy to hear some ‘new’ Monk.

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, this is wonderful. Love the comping over the bowed bass solo on Well, You Needn't, when the ride drops down to almost inaudible. They are so locked in, amazing.
At the time of this recording they had played 100s of gigs so they were well oiled

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
2/5

````"you rehearse every time you play your instrument" T.Monk.`````````````````````````````````````````````
3/5

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
4/5

````````````"chicken livers and rice. "Chicken?". Chicken livers."````````````````````````````````````````````

Last edited: