New Monk CD

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha. I must have got a. Extra good copy. :p

The bass is crystal clear to my ears. I love how loud the drums are.

Well we all can agree on one thing. Its great music

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listened to it (the LP) on a pretty good audio setup and I didn't feel that the sound quality was fantastic. Not terrible mind you but not great. The overall mix isn't ideal, with the drums a bit too loud and the bass muddy and lacking in attack...
You have to realize its live and its 1968.
Personally, I can appreciate the "rawness", considering the situation it was recorded in.

Elvis

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
You have to realize its live and its 1968.
Personally, I can appreciate the "rawness", considering the situation it was recorded in.

Elvis
Well... I like the album and realize that it wasn't recorded in a real professional way. I'd even say that for a basic, no professional recording, the sound quality is actually quite good. The performance is very good as well so overall, I'd say that it's worth hearing. I'd say that it's worth owning as well, but only if you already have a fair bit on Monk in your colelction. Both Live at the Jazz Workshop and Mysterioso I think are better live albums (and there may be others as well) and the Jazz Workshop one in particular is better in terms of sound quality...

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well....yeah...I mean, it is Thelonius Monk...so....yeah.....I'd say.....its probably worth listening to, too. =)

Elvis

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Tom, how is it different than the other recordings of the same band (Ben, Rouse, etc.) ? "

I hear a recording quality that is "better"...or at least I am really digging it.

The extended and killing bass solos

There is just something I cannot put into words....maybe it is that its a live recording and it FEELS (to me) like they are just in sync more than other recordings/videos I have heard/seen.

Just my opinion. There is and EDGE to this recording.
There’s an edge cause that group was getting ready to split up. It’s in the Times article I think, or I read it somewhere recently. How much longer did this quartet tour or record after this show ?