New Old Drums For Me - Asba This Time

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I came across a deal I couldn't pass up. So now I'm the proud owner of a stainless steel Asba kit.
I picked it up earlier today, and had enough time to quickly tune and set up the 24", 14" and 18" with my 15" 50's Slingerland snare at my practice space, and get home before the handball match started (European championship, France vs. Norway - very important ;) ). I also got a 13" tom, and a second 18" which is missing it's legs, and one of the brackets.

Attachments

bonzo60

Reaction score
Nice looking kit! ASBA is back in business and previewing at NAMM 2020.
I had a pair of lemon wood tree congas in the 90's that sounded wonderful.

Tanabata

Reaction score
Congrats! ASBA has mojo, and yes, they're back with finishes like "Art Blackey" and "Elvin Jaune." Waiting for them to reissue the Caroline bass drum pedal.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
UFIP Natural, vintage Premier Tri-Lok stands and now some ASBAS ... you've got a sophisticated selection .

boonky

Reaction score
Love that 18" hoop. They never made an 18" like their other cast hoops. Those drums have a real stinging dry tone. Nice.

New ASBA are Keller vintage mahogany shells not okoume like the real ones. They made some beautiful Pau Ferro veneer drums that gave the workers rashes and allergies.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool kit!
I've had a 22" bass drum inte the "stiple black" finish - sounded great, but take care of the plastic rim that goes round the bass drum edges or you'll spend a fortune on bass drum heads! :)

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys!
The kit could use a new set of heads, and I still have to play around with some different tunings. But judging by what I've heard so far, I think I'm going to be well pleased with this purchase :)

@BennyK: I may have sophisticated selection (I even set up on a genuine Indian silk rug). But I counter that by using it to play dumb rock very loudly :icon_e_biggrin:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow!
Those are sweet. I can't zoom in to see the details. What kind of hoops are on them? Any close up pics?

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys!
The kit could use a new set of heads, and I still have to play around with some different tunings. But judging by what I've heard so far, I think I'm going to be well pleased with this purchase :)

@BennyK: I may have sophisticated selection (I even set up on a genuine Indian silk rug). But I counter that by using it to play dumb rock very loudly :icon_e_biggrin:
"Dumb rock" sounds interesting! I played at Gutter Island 2018 in Vordingborg, and I suppose you can call us "dumb rockers" - at least loud... ;-)
/L

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow!
Those are sweet. I can't zoom in to see the details. What kind of hoops are on them? Any close up pics?
You should be able to click on the pictures and view them in full resolution on flickr. But here are a few close ups.

The tom mount. A bit of a knuckle-buster, but very adjustable. I like it so far.

Bass drum spurs. The big knob turns smoothly, and seems to tighten enough so there's no slippage. The spurs themselves are just the right length for elevating the front hoop about an inch above the floor, and have rubber thingies on the inside ends to keep them from falling out. The best version of disappearing spurs I've seen so far.

Floor tom hoops. Asba didn't make 18" toms until well into the 70's, so instead of tooling up to make die cast hoops they made these rolled steel ones. The 13" and 14" toms have regular die cast hoops.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Dumb rock" sounds interesting! I played at Gutter Island 2018 in Vordingborg, and I suppose you can call us "dumb rockers" - at least loud... ;-)
/L
Dumb rock is the best description I can use for my band at the moment. I hope it will become interesting to others when we get some original material up and running. Right now we're in an upstart process with a few instrumental sketches for songs, and our singer just starting to work on lyrics.
I have never been to Gutter Island myself. But I've only heard good things about it, so I hope to go this year if work/money allows it. I usually spend quite a bit of time and money in their bar at Roskilde Festival, because I have friends who are long time volunteers (=cheap drinks, and access to their back area with no queue for the loo).

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dumb rock is the best description I can use for my band at the moment. I hope it will become interesting to others when we get some original material up and running. Right now we're in an upstart process with a few instrumental sketches for songs, and our singer just starting to work on lyrics.
I have never been to Gutter Island myself. But I've only heard good things about it, so I hope to go this year if work/money allows it. I usually spend quite a bit of time and money in their bar at Roskilde Festival, because I have friends who are long time volunteers (=cheap drinks, and access to their back area with no queue for the loo).
You should visit the festival, it's one of the best!
And the atmosphere is filled with love and crazy antics!
Sponsored by Fernet Branca - that pretty much sums it up! :)

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You should be able to click on the pictures and view them in full resolution on flickr. But here are a few close ups.

The tom mount. A bit of a knuckle-buster, but very adjustable. I like it so far.

Bass drum spurs. The big knob turns smoothly, and seems to tighten enough so there's no slippage. The spurs themselves are just the right length for elevating the front hoop about an inch above the floor, and have rubber thingies on the inside ends to keep them from falling out. The best version of disappearing spurs I've seen so far.

Floor tom hoops. Asba didn't make 18" toms until well into the 70's, so instead of tooling up to make die cast hoops they made these rolled steel ones. The 13" and 14" toms have regular die cast hoops.

So cool. Those spurs look really great think they'll wear out with a lot of use? Or do they seem solid?

Does the tom holder slide in a long hole in the bass drum shell? Or is it the same as the Tom with that cool plate?

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So cool. Those spurs look really great think they'll wear out with a lot of use? Or do they seem solid?

Does the tom holder slide in a long hole in the bass drum shell? Or is it the same as the Tom with that cool plate?
The spurs seem quite solid. And the guy I bought the kit from, who plays in a fairly active punk rock band, told me that he'd never had any problems with them. Also they are 40+ years old, so I figure they would have been worn out by now if the quality wasn't there.
The tom holder has the same plate on the bass drum as on the tom.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
" Rock should never happen above the shoulders " - ( not sir) Keith Richards

Latest posts